16 Civic AC Not Working

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
The driver's side is blowing warmer air than the passenger side. It will eventually start blowing cool air, but it still won't match the passenger side. Difference of at least 25 degrees. I do have the Hondacare VSC. Should I bring it in to the dealership in my situation or is it likely just low freon?

2016 Civic with 22k miles.
Sponsored

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
The driver's side is blowing warmer air than the passenger side. It will eventually start blowing cool air, but it still won't match the passenger side. Difference of at least 25 degrees. I do have the Hondacare VSC. Should I bring it in to the dealership in my situation or is it likely just low freon?

2016 Civic with 22k miles.
You have a refrigerant leak.
Could be the condensor, compressor, evaporator or in the refrigerant lines.
Get the dealer to check it and add leak dye to locate the source of the leak.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
The driver's side is blowing warmer air than the passenger side.
Mine had the same issue, driver side vent was by far the warmest. It was due to my system being low on refrigerant due to a condenser leak. All was covered under the extended condenser warranty.

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I saw youtube video of someone who did this. I messaged him to delete it since it's technically $1000+ EPA fine (even for individuals; at least from my reading of regulations, I may be wrong). He said it worked but it wasn't quite as cold.
I'm sure the regulation is to discourage people from releasing the existing R-1234yf into the atmosphere. However, if this is lower impact than your BREATH when released into the atmosphere, where's the issue??? :doh:

It's not protecting you or the planet in this case... it's protecting patent holders and big business.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
You have a refrigerant leak.
Could be the condensor, compressor, evaporator or in the refrigerant lines.
Get the dealer to check it and add leak dye to locate the source of the leak.
Thanks, went to the dealer. After diag, they said the compressor is leaking. It's covered by the $900 Hondacare VSC I bought online back in 2016, otherwise it would be a $2200 repair if I didn't have it.

Compressor is backordered for a month though.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dropped mine off at the dealer this morning. They did not charge me a diag fee to look at AC problem, but did tell me they are backed up 48 hrs on diag due to tons of fuel pump replacement warranties. Also got told there are no rentals currently available due to shortage and would let me know if one becomes available.

rcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
I recharged my civic A/C system 10 months ago with R1234yf and fixed the issue it was blowing cold air until we got a hot day about 3 weeks ago. Now it's back to the same issue - the passenger is blowing colder air, the driver side vents are blowing warm air.

If I take my car to the dealership, how likely would it be the condenser is the problem and not something else like the compressor? It sounds like a lot of you guys have the same exact problem I'm experiencing. I want to get this replaced for a more permanent fix, but would hate to pay the diag. fee if they find some other issue and want to charge me 2k-3k for the repair, just can't afford that right now. I own the car and don't have any kind of warranty.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
If I take my car to the dealership, how likely would it be the condenser is the problem and not something else like the compressor?
Hard to say for sure. I'd say chances are it's the condenser, but don't be surprised if its the compressor. I know the condenser leaks are slow which seems to be what you are experiencing. I am not sure if the compressor leaks are slow or not.

I wouldn't tell them that you refilled the system DIY.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recharged my civic A/C system 10 months ago with R1234yf and fixed the issue it was blowing cold air until we got a hot day about 3 weeks ago. Now it's back to the same issue - the passenger is blowing colder air, the driver side vents are blowing warm air.

If I take my car to the dealership, how likely would it be the condenser is the problem and not something else like the compressor? It sounds like a lot of you guys have the same exact problem I'm experiencing. I want to get this replaced for a more permanent fix, but would hate to pay the diag. fee if they find some other issue and want to charge me 2k-3k for the repair, just can't afford that right now. I own the car and don't have any kind of warranty.
Just know if you take it in and it is not the condenser, you have the right to tell them you dont want them to fix it. You just pay the diag fee and take the car home and can repair it on your own or at a cheaper shop as Honda will be more expensive than anywhere else

Hard to say for sure. I'd say chances are it's the condenser, but don't be surprised if its the compressor. I know the condenser leaks are slow which seems to be what you are experiencing. I am not sure if the compressor leaks are slow or not.

I wouldn't tell them that you refilled the system DIY.
My compressor quit at 31k miles. Im hoping this is the condenser this time but if its the compressor again and the dealer wants me to pay, I will get Honda involved to see if I can get some goodwill.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update. Free.99 Condenser was leaking

Honda Civic 10th gen 16 Civic AC Not Working 084C79C5-D85C-4047-A78B-FEA9CD17E919

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE 2 got the car back today! That was a quick turnaround

Civic.Si.1984

First Name
Silas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Same issue - I have a 2016 Civic with 59,000 miles. Noticed at the end of last summer that the A/C was alternating between warm and cold air, but summer was over so didn't think much about it. Fast forward to this past week, 90 degree weather and nothing but hot air, though it will still get cold in the mornings and evenings or it is stays below 80ish degrees. I took it in to the the local Honda dealer on June 4th and was told it needed a new compressor, clutch, recharge, and a couple other things to do with the A/C. I purchased the car used in 2019 and looking back at the records Honda has on file it was taken into Honda in 2018 due to blowing hot air, but there is not record on what was done. So, dealership quotes me $1800.00. They told me it was the design and that I am basically SOL and did not really have an answer on what caused it to go bad (other than design). I have contacted Honda and waiting for a reply. Wish me luck. -SC

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda RF 2021 Toyota Supra GR 3.0
Country flag
Honda is extending their A/C condenser warranty to up to 10 years no mileage cap. If you feel like your condenser is leaking or not blowing cold air, take it your closest Honda dealer and book it in as an A/C diag.

Free of charge unless you get other work done at the same time
I see that you have a Supra. I have a 2021 Supra in Absolute zero white. I just bought a 2019 Civic SI coupe for my daily driver. :)

cwradio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sense, 2011 CR-V EX
Country flag
A little off subject.
Can you cause harm to the AC system if you turn the car off and then immediately turn it back on if the AC is running? Thanks Paul
Sponsored