Ktuner V1.2 : Horrible fitment onto OBD port

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
Anyone else have these issue ? Forced on pretty hard it does not stay on well. Ktuner has even fallen off the OBD port (not under any tension from the usb cable). Been an issue since day 1, wondering if it's just poor quality or there is a fix.
Sponsored

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone else have these issue ? Forced on pretty hard it does not stay on well. Ktuner has even fallen off the OBD port (not under any tension from the usb cable). Been an issue since day 1, wondering if it's just poor quality or there is a fix.
Recently purchased my Ktuner through Phearable and I am having a similar issue. I've had my unit for 2 weeks or so but was having trouble actually using it, not to mention the loose connection into the OBD2 port, so I simply boxed everything up and was gonna find someone local to help.

OP
OP
Boosted_01_R

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
Recently purchased my Ktuner through Phearable and I am having a similar issue. I've had my unit for 2 weeks or so but was having trouble actually using it, not to mention the loose connection into the OBD2 port, so I simply boxed everything up and was gonna find someone local to help.
@KTuner Could be a batch issue seem related to the plastic molding (draft angle or lack of compensation for plastic shrinkage after injection molding, blah blah blah) in my situation. I will reach out to support @rwk226 you may want to as well. I did buy mine new from Pherable.

@KTuner Email sent

Last edited:

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
@KTuner Could be a batch issue seem related to the plastic molding (draft angle or lack of compensation for plastic shrinkage after injection molding, blah blah blah) in my situation. I will reach out to support @rwk226 you may want to as well. I did buy mine new from Pherable.

@KTuner Email sent
I had a KTuner 1.2 before I went Hondata and had the same issues. Had to force it on and it never really felt like it was on all the way. Mine was purchased new through TSP.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went ahead and emailed Ktuner, and would be willing to work with anyone in attempting to see what the problem may be. As long as my device is a functional unit (it seems as so but then again I did have issues tuning initially - whether that be user error or not I am unsure at this time), I do not care if it is not perfect.

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went ahead and emailed Ktuner, and would be willing to work with anyone in attempting to see what the problem may be. As long as my device is a functional unit (it seems as so but then again I did have issues tuning initially - whether that be user error or not I am unsure at this time), I do not care if it is not perfect.
That's kinda the stance I took. It worked great, so I didn't care that the mold wasn't perfect. That being said, the Hondata does fit in noticeably nicer. The build quality difference is staggering.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's kinda the stance I took. It worked great, so I didn't care that the mold wasn't perfect. That being said, the Hondata does fit in noticeably nicer. The build quality difference is staggering.
A relative who's got a '17 HB Sport went with Hondata, and while I was definitely considering it I ultimately went with Ktuner for the Phearable tune plus the price difference for the v1.2. I have a spare phone I am going to use as a display that's significantly better than the v2.0 screen.

The build quality is definitely a concern, but I am not honestly too worried with it as long as nothing is actually broken. If this is a batch problem, it's understandable. If this is more wide-spread (which I don't believe to be the case here to be honest), then it's more of a concern. Will just have to wait and see what Ktuner says when they email me back.

Last edited:

andy_wen1

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I just always thought it was supposed to fit like that since it worked but fit the port so poorly lol.

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A relative who's got a '17 HB Sport went with Hondata, and while I was definitely considering it I ultimately went with Ktuner for the Phearable tune plus the price difference for the v1.2. I have a spare phone I am going to use as a display that's significantly better than the v2.0 screen.

The build quality is definitely a concern, but I am not honestly too issued with it as long as nothing is actually broken. If this is a batch problem, it's understandable. If this is more wide-spread (which I don't believe to be the case here to be honest), then it's more of a concern. Will just have to wait and see what Ktuner says when they email me back.
Yeah, the only reason I switched to Hondata is my local tuner. He isn't familiar with the KTuner software, so I picked up a Hondata and sold the KTuner to my buddy. Other than that, it's a great platform and great device.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The mold hasn't changed and is a standard size for OBD. We don't manufacturer the molded part. All units are plugged into an OBD port for programming and testing prior to shipment. 10K+ units are in the field in use currently.

The ports on the vehicle themselves do vary from vehicle model to vehicle model, as we've gone through three Civics, an Accord, two TLXs, an RDX, and been connected to various other vehicles for testing over the years. Sorry if you're disappointed in the mold we use, as it's always fit every vehicle we've tested with. Thanks for the feedback. We'll see how yours fits when it arrives.
Sponsored