2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028

nikkizhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Just say you have the symptom and say you want it done, shouldn't be something they need to try to duplicate.
That's what I would do... I had mine in 3 times for this problem but the dealership couldn't feel it like I could apparently but finally after an email they dug a little deeper and found the update! My car is now running smoothly and I'm back to 40 mph highway! It dropped to 24 mph when it was surging!

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's what I would do... I had mine in 3 times for this problem but the dealership couldn't feel it like I could apparently but finally after an email they dug a little deeper and found the update! My car is now running smoothly and I'm back to 40 mph highway! It dropped to 24 mph when it was surging!
The sad part is how we have to push them to 'dig deeper' to find the update. It's as if we're asking them to find a needle in a haystack. Like seriously, it's not like there are thousands of TSB's. They should be able to find it with a simple keyword search.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
The sad part is how we have to push them to 'dig deeper' to find the update. It's as if we're asking them to find a needle in a haystack. Like seriously, it's not like there are thousands of TSB's. They should be able to find it with a simple keyword search.
Go back to the begining of this thread and print out the SB and bring it with you. This is what I did and it made all the difference.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Go back to the begining of this thread and print out the SB and bring it with you. This is what I did and it made all the difference.
Thanks, I already did that a while back and got the update. Basically did all the work for them. The members of this forum know more about the Civic than most service advisors. Sad.

jmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Bringing my car back in 9/24 for some replacement window parts and hopefully finally getting this update done. I asked them 3 other times, and the last time they actually listened to me about it, but then said they couldn't reproduce the issue. This time I told them they have to update it. Makes no sense to me. Even if they couldn't reproduce the problem, if its a SERVICE BULLETIN, they should probably do it anyways right? hahaha. Dealing with my service dept. is so frustrating it is laughable.

Mistahoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GS350, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Accord Touring
Haven't told the dealership about it as I forgot while I was getting my oil change done. Do they automatically apply the fix or would you have to tell to do so? I haven't tested if it's still there or not yet.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Haven't told the dealership about it as I forgot while I was getting my oil change done. Do they automatically apply the fix or would you have to tell to do so? I haven't tested if it's still there or not yet.
Depends on the dealer - best to let them know you have an issue as they likely won't hook up the diagnostic machine, or use a real tech, to do an oil change (too much $$ for a tech to be a grease monkey).

Last edited:

Gmoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2010 Civic LX, 2012 KIA Optima hybrid
Just had mine serviced for this issue. So far so good! They also did the software update for the electronic brake issue.

Truckin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I went recently to the dealership as I had a message on my Honda App that a recall was needed for the e-brake. Requested they complete this TSB as well. They didn't know a thing about the TSB. They also said the update had already been completed by the manufacturer and wasn't available for the car. I said well the car has the surge at high speed and why did the app show I needed the recall? They gave me the rundown why and now after 5 days later the app no longer has the recall notice. Makes me think.......
Just had mine serviced for this issue. So far so good! They also did the software update for the electronic brake issue.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I went recently to the dealership as I had a message on my Honda App that a recall was needed for the e-brake. Requested they complete this TSB as well. They didn't know a thing about the TSB. They also said the update had already been completed by the manufacturer and wasn't available for the car. I said well the car has the surge at high speed and why did the app show I needed the recall? They gave me the rundown why and now after 5 days later the app no longer has the recall notice. Makes me think.......
If the car is still surging I'd go back to the dealer. I sat with the service manager and we looked up the service bulletin together. It wasn't an easy one to find. If I didn't know the bulletin number (from this forum), I'm not sure we would have been able to find it. Keyword searches didn't seem to work.

Truckin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah,
It's just such a pain with work etc having to do that and they found the TSB once I provided the info for them. They said they couldn't update the ECM if the update had already been applied. However, the surging still occurs.....:crazy:

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah,
It's just such a pain with work etc having to do that and they found the TSB once I provided the info for them. They said they couldn't update the ECM if the update had already been applied. However, the surging still occurs.....:crazy:
One day there will be an app that lists all of the software TSB's that are available for your vehicle. You will be able to select and install any of them over the air, without a trip to the dealership. You will also be able to do map updates over the air. In fact, they will occur seamlessly in the background as soon as they become available.

This is not rocket science. The only question is how long will it take Honda to develop it, and more importantly, to perfect it, so that we are not guinea pigs. Based on what I have seen, it will be a while yet. Unless Apple invents iOS Auto. Then everything will simply work.

Truckin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Would be nice if that were possible on the civic now....oh well... we will just have to wait.