BC Racing coilovers, custom valved
Swift springs 65mm ID 10k/14k
Custom camber plates
K-Tuned rear toe links
Eibach 25mm CTR rear sway bar
MODS - IN-CAR ELECTRONICS
OEM Civic Si headunit
HISTORY, STORY, EXPERIENCE, COMMENTS
Oh boy, this car has been through a lot in its 2 years of age...

Immediately after purchase it was gutted, fitted with Sparco race seats, Takata harnesses, the large wheel and tire package and shaken down at Auto Club Speedway, a racetrack in Southern California. Soon afterwards, a 500lb downforce package was fitted (front splitter, rear wing, drag-reducing diffuser) and the car raced in VTEC Club for one event before blowing the original L15BA engine.

In the months after that, the L15BA was replaced with an Si L15B7 engine, and the clutch and diff were upgrade while we were in there. 27WON supplied a prototype W1 turbo and downpipe for the car to compete with, and with the engine running on a basemap, we took the Si-swapped full-aero FK7 to Gridlife Streets of Willow in Feb 2019. Despite electronic quibbles, the car performed incredibly well and set the fastest FWD lap of the event.

Speedhunters graced us with a two-part feature at this point, for which I'm eternally grateful!
http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/02/what-could-possibly-go-wrong-driving-800-miles-for-gridlife/
http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/03/street-track-bmspecs-2018-civic-hatchback/

Later, the aero package was toned down for one last event. Using a factory CTR wing, factory Si powerplant and only small aero additions, the hatch laid down a 1:57.3 lap at Buttonwillow 13CW, a few seconds off from the modified CTR record. With the car's potential proven but running costs growing, we retired the Civic to use older cars for the track instead.

Now that it's back to being a street car, my friends and I have put full effort into finishing up the Si conversion and making everything work like it had been assembled by the factory. The engine, harness, ECU, turbo, intake and emissions components are all factory, such that the car would actually smog as a stock Si. The interior is almost 100% Si except for the door cards, which use Type R inserts for the correct pattern and compatibility. I'm in the midst of replacing the headunit with a used Si piece so we can even use Hondalink functionality. Will have to update pictures as we finish sections of the car.

Because of the life it was built for, this "Si hatch" drives like no other street-registered 10th gen Civic - it jerks the steering wheel with feedback, revs like a bike, and grips like it still has the aero it used to wear. Everyone who drives it comes out giggling (including me!), I love that such a simple car can bring such joy to people.

Item information

Added by
circuit.heart
Views
Last update

More in Civic Hatchback

Share this item