OP
JustAHatch17

JustAHatch17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to try and ask this without pissing anyone off.

What is the fascination with fake carbon fiber stickers? I mean, everyone knows it's fake, so why? I just don't get it.
Some people don't want to waste that extra 700$ on a carbon hood. And no you can't always tell its "fake. To each their own.

AhmedTitef

@slow_fk8
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2017 CIVIC HB ex , 2005 BMW 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm going to try and ask this without pissing anyone off.

What is the fascination with fake carbon fiber stickers? I mean, everyone knows it's fake, so why? I just don't get it.
Because simply it looks good. I just consider it as a vinyl with some nice pattern and color.

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
The carbon pattern looks good to some, so they'll use it. It doesn't exactly have to be real for it to look nice. I've seen some very nice carbon vinyl cars around my area. And for most people, if they're spending $700 on a hood, it's for weight reduction, not always the look. What you do to your car is all personal preference. Anyways, if vinyl is considered "fake" and out of taste, people with supercars wouldn't wrap them. It's very protective for your paint too.

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
That's my point though. There is no color, it's just........dark grey and dull. I just thinks it's funny the amount of people that say something like "chrome looks tacky", and then some of them go and wrap something with fake carbon fiber stickers.

Pot & kettle.

Oh well, doesn't matter to me. Enjoy it. :)
They have gloss carbon vinyl as well, it truly does look nicer in person than seeing a low resolution picture of it. Not everyone likes it, and that's alright. That's what makes everyone's car different and unique, and everyone has got to appreciate that.

OP
OP
JustAHatch17

JustAHatch17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
That's my point though. There is no color, it's just........dark grey and dull. I just thinks it's funny the amount of people that say something like "chrome looks tacky", and then some of them go and wrap something with fake carbon fiber stickers.

Pot & kettle.

Oh well, doesn't matter to me. Enjoy it. :)
The gloss carbon fiber doesn't look fake.

AhmedTitef

@slow_fk8
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2017 CIVIC HB ex , 2005 BMW 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it looks cool bro! Question for you: does this provide any kind of scratch defense from flying pebbles and such?
It should. It is a little thick and an extra layer on the hood. Same idea as clear bra but with not clear

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 R32 GTR, 2010 WRX STi, 2002 EP3 SiR
Some people don't want to waste that extra 700$ on a carbon hood. And no you can't always tell its "fake. To each their own.
You can tell it's fake. For sure. It's a purely cosmetic thing, but can help with rock chips etc as a secondary function. Personally I like it for my cars that don't need the real carbon parts because I don't have unlimited money for delicate parts. Wrapping parts on the race car tho? Hell no. That gets real carbon for a real function.

I'm definitely straying away from the carbon fibre hood wraps tho, kinda invites the expectations that your car is tuned or fast, whch really brings the haters out of the woodwork.

OP
OP
JustAHatch17

JustAHatch17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
You can tell it's fake. For sure. It's a purely cosmetic thing, but can help with rock chips etc as a secondary function. Personally I like it for my cars that don't need the real carbon parts because I don't have unlimited money for delicate parts. Wrapping parts on the race car tho? Hell no. That gets real carbon for a real function.

I'm definitely straying away from the carbon fibre hood wraps tho, kinda invites the expectations that your car is tuned or fast, whch really brings the haters out of the woodwork.

Agreed, but if your car is tuned and want to go for looks, then I think it looks pretty good. I like to try and keep it pretty simple (no decals, fart cannoncs, etc)

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 R32 GTR, 2010 WRX STi, 2002 EP3 SiR
Agreed, but if your car is tuned and want to go for looks, then I think it looks pretty good. I like to try and keep it pretty simple (no decals, fart cannoncs, etc)
Agree :). I got tired of buying carbon hoods for each 06/07 STi that came through my hands.. Must have bought 3-4 of them by now sigh.
Sponsored