OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Their work isn't mass produced but instead customized so to speak so each order is handled individually. Could it be that you just got a bad one?
That's what I'm hoping, that they got all the measurements and somehow just didn't complete all the stitching.

Do they provide the tape and such to install this or is that something you used personally?
No I got the double-sided carpet tape at the local Ace Hardware:
Honda Civic 10th gen Working with redlinegoods.com on custom armrests upload_2017-10-3_15-9-34

They won't start selling these until you upload the installation guide, right?
That was my understanding, that such was their "process", and the reason I sent them the original pieces (...and, they still have my deposit, to be refunded when all is finished and the installation guide ready.) Of course I can't be 100% sure. So whether they start selling before that -- I can't tell. Strongly doubt it, but who knows.
Sponsored

rushwal

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have contacted them about the other pieces, and they will sell them early at a slight discount if you order before they "receive the pictures".

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have contacted them about the other pieces, and they will sell them early at a slight discount if you order before they "receive the pictures".
Yeah I got the e-mail that they had sent me back in August to place a custom order once they become available. They said it was about $135 for all three center console pieces. Beats the $220 for the OEM stuff.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X. 1966 Plymouth Barracuda
Country flag
The pieces you received are what I would expect from a vendor like redlinegoods. My guess is you will be doing something very similar to this to get these covers installed correctly:

Take note, you will need fabric adhesive, Tape isn't going to cut it.

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Well one of the reasons redlinegoods.com's product attracted me was exactly because the installation not only didn't require any type of near-professional grade work like in the above clip, but also that there was no adhesive used on their existing cover which means I could potentially very easily go back to the OEM cloth parts by simply taking off the covers.

If it comes to this sort of effort, I'll be demanding a refund and returning their stuff. I really, really hope that is not the case and they can make it work...

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X. 1966 Plymouth Barracuda
Country flag
Well one of the reasons redlinegoods.com's product attracted me was exactly because the installation not only didn't require any type of near-professional grade work like in the above clip, but also that there was no adhesive used on their existing cover which means I could potentially very easily go back to the OEM cloth parts by simply taking off the covers.

If it comes to this tort of effort, I'll be demanding a refund and returning their stuff. I really, really hope that is not the case and they can make it work...
Nope, their stuff requires adhesive to be installed correctly. If you look at other installation guides on thier website you will see that. When I did my steering wheel with their alcantra product, thats only way to keep it wrinkle free.

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Well, they replied and looks like this was the "final product", and they were expecting me to cut/glue/fit/etc.

As mentioned earlier, one of my main attraction points to them was that the center console piece they are already selling didn't require any of that, and I assumed these other parts wouldn't either.

So, considering my inability to install those leather parts with professional quality without ever having done anything of the sort :rolleyes:, they offered that I send everything (all 4 pieces this time) back to them and they would install them, without charge, and mail them back. Which was very nice of them.

I'm requesting a few quotes from local upholstery shops to see how much they would charge for this, and if that's anywhere near the shipping costs I'd have to endure (estimating slightly over $100) if I were to mail everything, I'll be going with a local shop, thus avoiding all the additional weeks of waiting and fears of these international shipments getting lost. If not, I'll be sending them back there (which I really hope I won't have to.)

So with all this in mind, I think this means that they will be putting those pieces up for sale very soon, since I can't possibly provide them with installation pics (unless all they want is how to take off/put on the door panels, etc.) So they'll be working on an in-house installation guide.

I'm not yet sure what the logistics of that would be as far as my refund is concerned, but I have faith they'd do the right thing, because it's not like I'm backing out of anything or breaking my promises...

Anyway...

This brings this saga very close to its less-than-spectacular finale :) -- I'll of course post the pics once I've got all those parts installed (one way or another).

The good news is that some of you will now (very soon?) have this option for the armrests to consider. As I mentioned earlier the leather quality is very good and the colors/stitching match the interior extremely well. Just remember that you'd have to cut/fit/glue/etc. -- unlike the easy installation steps for the center piece.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just remember that you'd have to cut/fit/glue/etc. -- unlike the easy installation steps for the center piece.
So to clarify does this mean cutting and glueing the left and right side pieces for the center piece as well?

My main thing is to do the center piece and then attack the door armrest down the line. I don't wanna cut and glue stuff, I honestly thought this would be a little more straight forward. But like yourself I am new to doing this.

I don't think a place would charge you much, just labor really if you are providing everything. That is an option I would seriously consider instead of having to ship everything back to them and go back to the waiting game.

I have been mulling the options of going OEM leather instead for the center console pieces. Although Honda needs to fix that pricing mess with the price of the hatchbacks only being $20 for the door arm rests. Me placing an order with Redline was pretty much dependent on your experience with them.

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
So to clarify does this mean cutting and glueing the left and right side pieces for the center piece as well?
Yep, those two and the two door armrests. I frankly still don't understand why they didn't do them the same way as the center piece. The only explanation I have is that it would be too much work for them for too little profit... which I can understand.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I frankly still don't understand why they didn't do them the same way as the center piece. The only explanation I have is that it would be too much work for them for too little profit... which I can understand.
Yeah I guess I can understand that too when you put it that way, but it would have just made things a heck of a lot easier.

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Soooo... Only one of the three local upholsterers I contacted offered a quote, and it was unacceptably high (as I was expecting), at $175 for just the installation of already-sewn leather pieces on the 4 armrests (that is with me taking them off/putting them back on the car). Which IMO is ridiculously overpriced.

As a result, it all went back to Poland this morning; all 4 pieces, which they will install and ship back. Luckily shipping ended up being a lot cheaper than I was anticipating:

Honda Civic 10th gen Working with redlinegoods.com on custom armrests upload_2017-10-10_16-0-58

Not sure how that's possible, with the item weight about twice the original... but hey I'm not complaining. :)

Will revive the thread in a month or two, or whenever I get them back, to post the pics and to bring all this to some sort of a relatively-happy ending. Hopefully. :D

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, at least shipping was better for you. Hope this works out for you!

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I haven't forgotten about this thread, believe me... I get reminded of this every day I get in my car. :)

This second shipment has not done nearly as well as the previous one, because when I was mailing it I ended up giving in to the incessant (and stupid and unnecessary, in hindsight, but I just didn't know any better at the time) insistence of the postal clerk on having to specify "at least some number" for the customs... Apparently that was a huge mistake, as it got held up at the customs for almost a month! Plus, reportedly, some extra paperwork for the RedlineGoods guys, and some extra (customs) fees that they're gonna "forward" to me... :(

But, all things eventually come to an end, and it looks like it was finally delivered -- yesterday. Haven't received a confirmation via email from them yet, but the USPS tracking info is showing this:

Honda Civic 10th gen Working with redlinegoods.com on custom armrests upload_2017-11-21_14-44-54

So hopefully this might serve as an incidental lesson for someone, unrelated to the topic of leather upholstery. You know how smart people learn from their own mistakes, but wise people learn from others' mistakes, right? :D Well, if any of you ever need to ship anything anywhere overseas (and are not familiar with the process) -- DO NOT specify/declare any dollar value for customs. Just write "0.00" if they insist you "must write something there". :nono:

Will keep y'all posted as I get updates of any significance -- and obviously will post pics, etc. when (or if? :eek:) I finally get the stuff back.

aquaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX HS (lunar silver)
Country flag
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to replace the door armrests?
I ordered the leather wrapped armrests (Honda OEM) and today I tried to swap them out. I wasn't able to just pop those pieces out of the door. I was able to pull out the window/door controls and loosen up the armrest, but it's still locked on the other end.
Sponsored