Windshield issues

spazz819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic touring
Hi there, I bought my 2017 civic touring in Canada about a month ago. As the weather has gotten better, I noticed I had heavy eye strain while driving in brighter conditions. I had issues focussing in objects through the cars windshield and the cause of this was distortion and a wavy/pixelated appearance of object edges which causes my eye to work overtime to attempt to focus on objects causing me health issues.

I have been able to show the problem to many family, friends and even the dealer technicians.

I understand that windshields can have minor distorions, but this is quite bad as it has distortion and the wavy/mirage/pixelated effect across the entire windshield and is most notable in edges of lighter objects during bright daylight.

I am now in discussions with Honda Canada, the dealer and local auto glass companies to further understand this. I also filed a complaint with transport Canada to investigate. This maybe the start of another recall.

The dealer said my eyes would eventually adjust to the distortion which is unacceptable as it causes eye strain and eye pain especially in bright sunlight conditions. The local dealer feels it maybe a combination of the acoustic glass and angle that causes the issue. I feel that maybe possible and there maybe a manufacturing defect in the acoustic glass. They suggested trying a switch to the basic dx model glass to assist with investigations but didn't have that model car or glass to confirm.

I am asking for more members to look for this issue on you cars? You will need to look at the edges of objects and see if they are smooth or have the issues described above. It's most notable in bright conditions.

Best regards
Sponsored

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I have a sport touring and my eyes are fairly sensitive. I have not issue with my windshield as of yet. :\ Seems pretty sharp to me. Wax should not affect it either.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hi there, I bought my 2017 civic touring in Canada about a month ago. As the weather has gotten better, I noticed I had heavy eye strain while driving in brighter conditions. I had issues focussing in objects through the cars windshield and the cause of this was distortion and a wavy/pixelated appearance of object edges which causes my eye to work overtime to attempt to focus on objects causing me health issues.

I have been able to show the problem to many family, friends and even the dealer technicians.

I understand that windshields can have minor distorions, but this is quite bad as it has distortion and the wavy/mirage/pixelated effect across the entire windshield and is most notable in edges of lighter objects during bright daylight.

I am now in discussions with Honda Canada, the dealer and local auto glass companies to further understand this. I also filed a complaint with transport Canada to investigate. This maybe the start of another recall.

The dealer said my eyes would eventually adjust to the distortion which is unacceptable as it causes eye strain and eye pain especially in bright sunlight conditions. The local dealer feels it maybe a combination of the acoustic glass and angle that causes the issue. I feel that maybe possible and there maybe a manufacturing defect in the acoustic glass. They suggested trying a switch to the basic dx model glass to assist with investigations but didn't have that model car or glass to confirm.

I am asking for more members to look for this issue on you cars? You will need to look at the edges of objects and see if they are smooth or have the issues described above. It's most notable in bright conditions.

Best regards
I don't notice anything however mine and most likely everyone windshield will eventually develop offgassing oils on the interior glass. Mine is very distorted and I have cleaned it twice. Give the inside a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol and see if that helps. Put something down for the dash so you don't get the alcohol on the plastic, but I completely cleaned the interior of the windshield with pure alcohol and it removed that film.

Aamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2017

Best regards
I bought a Honda Civic Ex 2017 in April. In the first few weeks exactly as you mentioned, I also had eye strain after driving. I didn't suspect anything to be wrong with the "new" car though. But after 2 weeks, I released that the windshield is like pixelated and it is almost impossible to get anything in focus. it is more clear when you look at object with contrast like number plates or sign boards. The edges are pixelated like when you reduced the monitor/screen resolution to a low one. I visited the service center 2 times but couldn't convince the members of service staff about the problem. some would say it is dirt, some would it is very normal. In my 3rd visit today luckily the service manager was available and I requested him to take a look himself. He observed it for a few minutes and agreed to what I was complaining about. He ordered a new windshield right away which will be replace next week. He explained further that new Hondas have special windshield with layers to keep driver safe in case they break and normal windshield may have some distortion when you look sidewise but while look straight ahead, it should be OK.

So, My advice would be to talk to someone who is really in-charge of the setup. If they still cant see something inside workshop, take them outside to the sun, if they still can find something ask them to drive it a mile or two. On a sunny day, it is more visible. Also ask them to look at a number plate or sign board and then focus on the glass, then they will for sure see it.

Today, if they hadn't agreed/co-operated, I had decided to leave the car with them and take necessary legal action. It really really really messes with eyes. I am not sure if it is problem with all new civic cars windshields but with my windshield it was a genuine issue. I wish you good luck in getting your issue resolved soon.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I bought a Honda Civic Ex 2017 in April. In the first few weeks exactly as you mentioned, I also had eye strain after driving. I didn't suspect anything to be wrong with the "new" car though. But after 2 weeks, I released that the windshield is like pixelated and it is almost impossible to get anything in focus. it is more clear when you look at object with contrast like number plates or sign boards. The edges are pixelated like when you reduced the monitor/screen resolution to a low one. I visited the service center 2 times but couldn't convince the members of service staff about the problem. some would say it is dirt, some would it is very normal. In my 3rd visit today luckily the service manager was available and I requested him to take a look himself. He observed it for a few minutes and agreed to what I was complaining about. He ordered a new windshield right away which will be replace next week. He explained further that new Hondas have special windshield with layers to keep driver safe in case they break and normal windshield may have some distortion when you look sidewise but while look straight ahead, it should be OK.

So, My advice would be to talk to someone who is really in-charge of the setup. If they still cant see something inside workshop, take them outside to the sun, if they still can find something ask them to drive it a mile or two. On a sunny day, it is more visible. Also ask them to look at a number plate or sign board and then focus on the glass, then they will for sure see it.

Today, if they hadn't agreed/co-operated, I had decided to leave the car with them and take necessary legal action. It really really really messes with eyes. I am not sure if it is problem with all new civic cars windshields but with my windshield it was a genuine issue. I wish you good luck in getting your issue resolved soon.
This is the same thing I have with my civic. I found this:

http://automobiles.honda.com/information/frequently-asked-questions.aspx?Question=14

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
Thank you to the OP for posting about this, and to you @nizarz, for the FAQ above. I just asked about this in the Si forum; I have a 2017 Si Coupe: http://www.civicx.com/threads/is-there-a-clear-film-on-the-windshield.12981/

I'm not happy to read the FAQ though; there was nothing like this on my '13 Si. I wear eyeglasses that have auto-dimming lenses; I wonder if that's a factor. In any case, I definitely didn't have it on my '13, and am not happy with it on my '17.

Has anyone had success getting this fixed?
Sponsored