Why would you buy R than Si?

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Country flag
Yes, the R has 100 more horses, but if it wasn't for more power, what else would be the reason to pay $10K more and a heftier insurance?

I'm not knocking the R, but want to hear your justifications.
Thanks!
Sponsored

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
Why not buy the R , everything about it is better than the SI in my opinion. More power , better brakes , stickier tires, better interior, better looking & I could go on. And there's no way I'd give up my STI for a SI , but I will certainly give it up for the R.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
With the 2.0 there is more room for modification, the 2.0 has been released for a little in the UK at least. Also, it has extra rigidity, nice sport seats, brembo brakes, hatchback body, it hasn't been in the US in ever besides the ITR (Acura), the extra 100 horses is a pretty big reason by itself. There are so many differences that it is too many to list, but just a few there.

Had a turbo'ed Si before and sold it for the specific reason to get this vehicle instead.

OP
OP

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Country flag
And there's no way I'd give up my STI for a SI , but I will certainly give it up for the R.
That's very interesting for an STi owner (AWD) to give up STi for R. That is a lot to say about R. Because if the new 2020 STi (new platform) was out today, I'd buy it.

OP
OP

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Country flag
With the 2.0 there is more room for modification, the 2.0 has been released for a little in the UK at least. Also, it has extra rigidity, nice sport seats, brembo brakes, hatchback body, it hasn't been in the US in ever besides the ITR (Acura), the extra 100 horses is a pretty big reason by itself. There are so many differences that it is too many to list, but just a few there.

Had a turbo'ed Si before and sold it for the specific reason to get this vehicle instead.
But, what if you're not tracking the car. Do you still need all that breaking power and suspension for DD?
I DO love the higher TQ though.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's very interesting for an STi owner (AWD) to give up STi for R. That is a lot to say about R. Because if the new 2020 STi (new platform) was out today, I'd buy it.
The STI isn't all it's cracked up to be honestly , I got it out of my system to own one. But the interior isn't great , road noise sucks , shifter is notchy, radio sucks bad. It's a fun car , but we don't get enough snow to justify the awd. But if I lived somewhere like Denver or where someone gets lots of snow I'd definitely keep it. It's fast & fun, but I'm a Honda enthusiast at heart , so once I seen the CTR was coming our way my mind was made up. And I'm not loosing much really. Same HP as the STI , actually a hair higher & WAY better amnaties on the CTR.

OP
OP

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Country flag
The STI isn't all it's cracked up to be honestly , I got it out of my system to own one. But the interior isn't great , road noise sucks , shifter is notchy, radio sucks bad. It's a fun car , but we don't get enough snow to justify the awd. But if I lived somewhere like Denver or where someone gets lots of snow I'd definitely keep it. It's fast & fun, but I'm a Honda enthusiast at heart , so once I seen the CTR was coming our way my mind was made up. And I'm not loosing much really. Same HP as the STI , actually a hair higher & WAY better amnaties on the CTR.
I agree and respect your Honda's enthusiasm.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But on the same coin flip , no way I'd give up my 2015 STI for a SI , but who knows , I may give up my CTR for a 2020 STI , if subaru will ever get away from that same ol 2.5 motor they've been running for a decade now.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
What's the difference between Lancer AWD vs Evolution X? Or a base Mustang vs a GT350R?

The answer you're looking for is driving feel. To achieve this "feel" a lot of engineering and cost are involved. Stronger brakes, higher end bushings, track tuned suspension, Engineered powertrain, chassis balance, suspension geometry and etc. The purpose of the type R is fun to drive and fast.

Their are people whom doesn't care for performance cars hence they like their Prius.

seetohey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2018 M2; Future: CTR
I feel the same as others here in that I've been a Honda enthusiast for a long time. I wouldn't give up my current 370Z (or my previous E46 M3) for an Si, but would give them up in a heartbeat for a CTR.

OP
OP

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Country flag
What's the difference between Lancer AWD vs Evolution X? Or a base Mustang vs a GT350R?

The answer you're looking for is driving feel. To achieve this "feel" a lot of engineering and cost are involved. Stronger brakes, higher end bushings, track tuned suspension, Engineered powertrain, chassis balance, suspension geometry and etc. The purpose of the type R is fun to drive and fast.

Their are people whom doesn't care for performance cars hence they like their Prius.
Your point well taken. When I was going to buy a Corvette a few years ago, I chose the Z06 for the exact reasons you brought up. This thread is for me to learn more about R from people who know more than me about R.

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR #2043, 03 S2000, 05 Element, 69 Charger

Very well said.
The Type R is unlike any other Civic trim

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, a lot of people like to modify their cars once they get them for more power/torque, better feel, sharper steering, add visual enhancements, and basically to make it their own. No doubt it will be the same for the Type R, but it is more of what I am looking for than the SI. I got the SI previously, because we couldn't get a Type R, and I love the reliability and a little less expensive compared to the other brands. However, back then I couldn't afford a Type R either. So now is my chance to own a piece of Honda history, and have fun doing it.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
But, what if you're not tracking the car. Do you still need all that breaking power and suspension for DD?
I DO love the higher TQ though.
Do I absolutely need it? No.

My last car I pull full Koni yellow based coilovers as replacement suspension, a turbo kit, better tires, etc. definitely didn't need that for daily driving. Wanted it? Absolutely. Better brakes was the next thing on the list, this includes those.

This car is a bridge of sorts between a track car and a daily driver. That's exactly what I am looking for and I like the Honda brand. (I've had 3 so far in 6 years) I almost bought an STI when they did the remodel a few years ago but ended up with my Si instead. Just didn't seem worth it at the time after all the research I did. The R on the other hand seems worth every bit it is asking. Probably just being biased, but my opinion is all I need to be convinced! We'll see how it drives for real shortly!

petem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be FK8.
I suppose you could argue that virtually any amount of power is unnecessary if it's more than you need to get the car (eventually) to the maximum speed permitted in your country. Would you like to take a guess how many people contributing to a CTR forum are likely to feel that way?
:D

As others have said, if you've ever driven a high performance car you'll know that the driving experience is significantly different to most standard cars, in the way it responds not only to the throttle but also to the steering, brakes, etc. If you're someone who loves driving for it's own sake then you're likely to find it a lot of fun to have a decent amount of power and the chassis to go with it. OTOH if you only drive to get from A to B and aren't interested in the driving itself, then no, you probably don't need the amount of power the CTR has. But in that case I can't see why you'd even consider buying one given that its power and the way it provides a really involving driving experience are arguably it's main attractions.

With the 2.0 there is more room for modification
Indeed, in the video that HPJ did at that workshop in Swindon I believe they said they can get to something like 370hp just with a remap without causing problems. If you're prepared to start replacing parts then of course the sky's the limit (in terms of power, cost, and tire wear!).
Sponsored