Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Does anyone know why Honda in their infinite wisdom decided not to include the navigation option on the Si? I get that it has car play and Android auto but so do the other nav equipped models, I just don't get their logic sometimes.
Sponsored

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Pretty simple - They don't want to build them.

It may seem like just an option box to you, but to them it means they have to now supply dealerships with multiple Si's. Nobody's really going to walk away from an Si whether it has summer tires or not (I honestly don't know why they bothered with that really), but someone would over navigation - either because of the price or because it lacked it and customer wanted it.

The way it is now, they just build about two per dealership, occasionally slap on summer tires, and they're done - back to making regular, cash cow Civics for the masses.

OP
OP
Chief 08

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Maybe but it almost cost them a loyal customer. They have been offering Nav on the Si since 2006 so why stop now. The only reason I went for it is because I'm moving to Germany soon and the nav wouldn't work anyway but I can use the Android auto.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Does anyone know why Honda in their infinite wisdom decided not to include the navigation option on the Si? I get that it has car play and Android auto but so do the other nav equipped models, I just don't get their logic sometimes.
Most people - especially in the Si's target demographic - already have a smartphone that allows navigation via Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Built-in navigation is becoming an unnecessary expense.

It's nice to have built-in navigation for the convenience, but it's become more difficult to justify the $1,000 price tag.

Nobody's really going to walk away from an Si whether it has summer tires or not (I honestly don't know why they bothered with that really)...
I agree that the $200 charge for Summer tires is insignificant, but not everyone is willing to accept Summer tires given their extremely limited life in exchange for the extra grip. I'm one of those buyers. I wouldn't accept Summer tires if they paid me $200 because I have no interest in spending another $800 to buy a new set of tires in 10,000 miles.

OP
OP
Chief 08

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I understand but at least offer the option as they have done in the past. Sometimes it's nice to have an integrated factory nav system and I'm willing to pay for it. It seems to be a trend of Honda and others to dumb down cars with a manual. Just because I want a manual transmission doesn't mean I don't want all the cool/nice stuff.

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
All the reviews I have watched and read pretty much say it all boils down to cost. They wanted to keep the vehicle at that 23,700-900 price range. Which is good imo. Also they figured the majority of people interested in the new si would have top of the line smart phones. I do miss Garmin, especially the speed limit postings on screen. However it's a small price to pay for a new si. Plus Google maps works great! And they are always updating android auto and Google maps and waze will also be available soon to use. The only down side to this is having to plug your phone in every time you get in the vehicle. However I've grown used to it and it literally takes you 1 second after you sit down.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe Rallye Red
Is there another difference in Canadian and non Si's here? Because my Si definitely has Nav even with no phone connected...

OP
OP
Chief 08

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Lucky you, Honda has deemed the states unworthy lol.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
It's nice to have built-in navigation for the convenience, but it's become more difficult to justify the $1,000 price tag.
That's an inflated price tag for just a nav addition - its only software, a bit of storage space and licensing of maps (basically shouldn't cost more than a portable Garmin), even the antenna is already in the car... given the XM requires the shark fin too. There probably is a market for an Si Touring trim with nav, Sensing and leather interior.

OP
OP
Chief 08

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I agree about it mostly just being software. They should do what Chrysler does and have vehicles come " navigation ready" and the dealer just loads some software for a few hundred bucks and you're on your way.

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag
That's an inflated price tag for just a nav addition - its only software, a bit of storage space and licensing of maps (basically shouldn't cost more than a portable Garmin), even the antenna is already in the car... given the XM requires the shark fin too. There probably is a market for an Si Touring trim with nav, Sensing and leather interior.
Wont do Sensing with a stick....

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag
All the reviews I have watched and read pretty much say it all boils down to cost. They wanted to keep the vehicle at that 23,700-900 price range. Which is good imo. Also they figured the majority of people interested in the new si would have top of the line smart phones. I do miss Garmin, especially the speed limit postings on screen. However it's a small price to pay for a new si. Plus Google maps works great! And they are always updating android auto and Google maps and waze will also be available soon to use. The only down side to this is having to plug your phone in every time you get in the vehicle. However I've grown used to it and it literally takes you 1 second after you sit down.
If you know where to look, Waze is already available for Android Auto ;)

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV EXL, 2004 Acura TSX Manual Previous: 92 Mazda MX6 GT, 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, 99 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

One of the reasons I can't choose an Si at this time along with the rear look of the sedan is their dropping stand alone NAV. Vehicle GPS systems gets GPS locations via satellite info. Cell phones almost always use A-GPS. It primarily relies on cell phone towers to triangulate its location so when you lose signal driving in remote rural areas or dead zones your GPS will be unreliable. Also apps like Google maps has to download the map every time you type in an address asking for directions. When you're traveling and out of coverage range, when you need your NAV system to work the most, your phone is unreliable. I would bet that the next model year it will come back probably with the same GPS as in the CTR.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
One of the reasons I can't choose an Si at this time along with the rear look of the sedan is their dropping stand alone NAV. Vehicle GPS systems gets GPS locations via satellite info. Cell phones almost always use A-GPS. It primarily relies on cell phone towers to triangulate its location so when you lose signal driving in remote rural areas or dead zones your GPS will be unreliable. Also apps like Google maps has to download the map every time you type in an address asking for directions. When you're traveling and out of coverage range, when you need your NAV system to work the most, your phone is unreliable. I would bet that the next model year it will come back probably with the same GPS as in the CTR.
The current Si and other Honda models with Display Audio and without navigation have a GPS antenna and receiver that is used to pass the vehicle's location over USB to smartphones connected via Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The maps in both platforms cache your route and work offline if/when you lose cell signal.

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV EXL, 2004 Acura TSX Manual Previous: 92 Mazda MX6 GT, 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, 99 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The current Si and other Honda models with Display Audio and without navigation have a GPS antenna and receiver that is used to pass the vehicle's location over USB to smartphones connected via Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The maps in both platforms cache your route and work offline if/when you lose cell signal.

Well that's good to know. Thank you.
Sponsored