Why do you cover/blur your license plate?

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Eh, to me I don't like fear mongering and worrying about the "what ifs". I'm pretty much the only Kirk Hilles in the US and don't hide from that. Maybe I'll learn a lesson about that someday.

Its really about doing whatever to make yourself FEEL more secure. If you start worrying about every minor thing that CAN happen, you'll hide in your room and never come out. I mean, Equifax just allowed all of our information to be shared worldwide and it seems like I get emails all the time from some site that has been hacked in some form or another. You just have to focus and believe that everything will be fine and if blurring it out does the trick, then sure, go for it. The reality is that I'm sure there's tech out there where you could park your car on the interstate and have it systematically records hundreds (if not thousands) of cars' license plates systematically every day.

Now, I WILL say that if I owned a Type R, it'd be different. I've heard stories of Integra Type Rs that were locked away in Fort Knox and still managed to get stolen. I wouldn't want large numbers of people knowing my home address for my Type R.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's mostly about not letting people around the country/world know where your car is if it is important to you or likely to get stolen. Now yes, your point about the locals seeing your plate is valid, but then most of them probably won't be advertising it to thieves outside your city unless they steal it themselves.

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But it still confuses me that anyone in public can see it. Every time you're at a red light do you watch everyone behind to to make sure they cant see your plate or they aren't taking a photo of it?
agreed ...lol

it's like if you walk in on a female in her bra and panty she's quick to cover up. Mind you a 2 pc bikini at the beach is the same thing :rofl:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But it still confuses me that anyone in public can see it. Every time you're at a red light do you watch everyone behind to to make sure they cant see your plate or they aren't taking a photo of it?
The internet is a weird place and people do lots of crazy ass stuff. Generally, driving down the road, no one cares about my plate because they are too worried about getting home, or texting their sidepiece, or eating their big mac as they drive. Here on the forum and on facebook, I am interacting with strangers on a daily basis. Sometimes those interactions go well and sometimes, not so much. I don't need to get some basement dwelling internet dweeb who wants to talk trash to me or disagrees with me, having access to my plate, and therefore, my name address and any other information the State of Texas decides is public. That how people end up getting SWATted or pranked or stalked or followed. When internet tough guys want to threaten you and your family, it becomes one step easier for them when you self identifying information just sitting there for anyone to lookup. Its the reason I use the name here I do. If you want to cover your eyes and plug your ears and pretend this stuff doesnt happen, thats your choice, but it does, and daily. Then there are the people who are only on the internet to extort or troll you and they would love nothing more than to have any kind of info on you.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
agreed ...lol

it's like if you walk in on a female in her bra and panty she's quick to cover up. Mind you a 2 pc bikini at the beach is the same thing :rofl:
That's gold!!! LMFAO

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
:rofl: now you are exposed on the internet and I can take all of your information.
or maybe someone can come to your house and beat you to a pulp just for fun

Last edited:

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
• A person would have to be law enforcement or a dmv employee to run plates.
• A person would would have to know someone in those fields to run plates. (that's even considering they'd even do it)
• A person would need to fork over money to have an outside party make you fake plates.
• A person would need to fork over money to have a Private PI get some info for you with plates...

it cost money and it is time consuming...

would probably be best to just have a Pizza and a Coke, Sit back and Laugh...Life it short. :thumbsup:
show your plates muwhohahahahaaaa :D

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
• A person would have to be law enforcement or a dmv employee to run plates.
• A person would would have to know someone in those fields to run plates. (that's even considering they'd even do it)
• A person would need to fork over money to have an outside party make you fake plates.
• A person would need to fork over money to have a Private PI get some info for you with plates...

it cost money and it is time consuming...

would probably be best to just have a Pizza and a Coke, Sit back and Laugh...Life it short. :thumbsup:
show your plates muwhohahahahaaaa :D
no, it doesn't cost money and it isn't time consuming. You don't know what you're talking about. I have a brother and two friends who are police officers. I've already gotten info from them on more than one occasion about more than one person.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Yeah it doesn’t cost money and rather easy. He also said you need to know someone in the field which you clearly do.

Either way if they wanted to, they can get a lot of information from your IP alone unless your going thru a proxy every single time.

I’ve never blurred my plate in my life and haven’t been beaten down for fun so I guess I’m still safe.

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
no, it doesn't cost money and it isn't time consuming. You don't know what you're talking about. I have a brother and two friends who are police officers. I've already gotten info from them on more than one occasion about more than one person.
the 2nd Bullet clearly states would have to know someone in law enforcement. Also acknowledged by @boosted180sx
My brother is NYPD...

the other options costs money

unless someone did something to another person on the road etc etc and left the scene and no "law enforcement" was there to review the situation then it makes sense to run plates
everything else is just to "extra"

Pizza and a Coke, Sit back and Laugh...Life it short. :thumbsup:
Sponsored