Who's been on long road trips?

Texancivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
So we are about to load up the Civic for a trek from Houston to Tucson. This will be the longest drive I have taken my car on. I have already packed on over 6k miles since August when I purchased it. This trip will be a little over 1k one way. The car will go up Mount Lemmon (look that up - crazy beutiful), through the desert, snow and Good Ole Texas Highway speed of 85+. Wondering how it will do.

Has anybody driven that long yet? Under those similar conditions?
Sponsored

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So we are about to load up the Civic for a trek from Houston to Tucson. This will be the longest drive I have taken my car on. I have already packed on over 6k miles since August when I purchased it. This trip will be a little over 1k one way. The car will go up Mount Lemmon (look that up - crazy beutiful), through the desert, snow and Good Ole Texas Highway speed of 85+. Wondering how it will do.

I drove my Hatchback from the dealership in North Carolina to my home in NY (600 miles), car did well, but the Sport trim's faster steering ratio makes the car a tiny bit twitchy at higher speeds. Your EX-T has a less sensitive steering ratio, so you should be just fine, car is comfortable and quiet.

OP
OP
Texancivic

Texancivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I drove my Hatchback from the dealership in North Carolina to my home in NY (600 miles), car did well, but the Sport trim's faster steering ratio makes the car a tiny bit twitchy at higher speeds. Your EX-T has a less sensitive steering ratio, so you should be just fine, car is comfortable and quiet.

Good to know. Appreciate the feedback. The part that sucks, is alllll the miles it will have in such a short time.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I
Good to know. Appreciate the feedback. The part that sucks, is alllll the miles it will have in such a short time.
It's a civic, it's supposed to have 150K+ miles in 10 years, then go on to make the best first car for a freshman college student.

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag

Have you done the first oil change yet?

KeNzOo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
From San Francisco-to-Arizona-Vegas and back to San Francisco.

There is this road off i-15 that leads to sand valley, where i was forced to re-route since there was a major accident at i-15. Damn google made me go there. There's a 12-mile off road that leads back to i-15. Wishing at that time my civic is an AWD. Need to go to shop to have my wheels aligned after that.

Dang google maps.

OP
OP
Texancivic

Texancivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
From San Francisco-to-Arizona-Vegas and back to San Francisco.

There is this road off i-15 that leads to sand valley, where i was forced to re-route since there was a major accident at i-15. Damn google made me go there. There's a 12-mile off road that leads back to i-15. Wishing at that time my civic is an AWD. Need to go to shop to have my wheels aligned after that.

Dang google maps.

EFF THAT!!!! You are a patient! Google maps can piss me off at times.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's a 12-mile off road that leads back to i-15. Wishing at that time my civic is an AWD. Need to go to shop to have my wheels aligned after that.
I think you mean dirt road. Off road is Jeep territory. As much as I love my Civic I wouldn't dare take it to some of the crazy stupid places I took my Wrangler back in the day. :eek:

We did take Lara on the Dick Paddock memorial rally. That was about 45 miles on dirt roads. Glad I had the splash guards, but aside from being filthy, she didn't have any issues.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you mean dirt road. Off road is Jeep territory. As much as I love my Civic I wouldn't dare take it to some of the crazy stupid places I took my Wrangler back in the day. :eek:

We did take Lara on the Dick Paddock memorial rally. That was about 45 miles on dirt roads. Glad I had the splash guards, but aside from being filthy, she didn't have any issues.
Yikes, 45 miles? You have balls. When my Civic still had paper plates I went to a somewhat off-the-grid moonshine place in WV, almost a mile on gravel/dirt/not really a road type of terrain and I wanted to cry lol.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yikes, 45 miles? You have balls. When my Civic still had paper plates I went to a somewhat off-the-grid moonshine place in WV, almost a mile on gravel/dirt/not really a road type of terrain and I wanted to cry lol.
I understand.:drive: Those hard plastic guards really did a good job, I was skeptical they would work.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
I went on a 1126 mile round trip weekend before last from north Georgia to Daytona Beach, Fla. For all but 200 miles of it there were three of us in the car all weighing over 200lbs., I was the tallest at 6' 2". We had luggage for a couple days and a small cooler. We averaged 75mph on the freeway and ended up with 36.6mpg for the whole trip. I rode in the back seat for over two hours of the trip and was more comfortable than I expected, plenty of headroom.....it's a hatchback. The back seat was hard to get in and out of for me.

We're all gearheads and my friends didn't complain about the CVT too much. They were impressed with the power and the smoothness of acceleration after you slow down and re engage the cruise control. On the way back I drove the last two hours in the rain, heavy at times and the car felt very planted, the Conti's did great.

The trip solidified my feeling that I had bought the right car for commuting and trips, very happy so far.

Side note: I didn't see any other HB's on the trip and a guy wanted to race me in a GTi.

Where did we go? We went to Daytona Speedway for the Ferrari Finali Mondiali, the world finals of the Ferrari Challenge series and XX Cliente series. It was insane, it was like going to a huge mall on a busy day and every car in the parking lot was a Ferrari. 22 LaFerrari's were there including one Aperta and 15 FXX-K'x. Also ten F1 cars and Vettel and Kimi showed up and drove on the last day. It was 12 cylinder sensory overload!

Here are some pics(not mine) to give you an idea.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/havblu/sets/72157677381329285

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
i've only had complaints when at high altitude. i don't have the turbo so i had to down shift more than i like to. i have found that the interior layout is cramped on trips, ie the passenger can't spread out and not many spots for their stuff.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did a 700 mile round trip from Michigan to the bottom of Ohio. I wasn't as happy as I could be with the seats after 3 hours, but they are certainly not the worst I've ever sat in.

You may not want to do 85mph+ in Texas if you like MPG. I kept the cruise on 70mph with Econ through flat boring Ohio and got 48mpg!

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
I just did 800 miles round trip from SC to Disney. I got around 42 mpg with one other person in the car and some luggage. The car was super comfortable. I was not in any pain sitting for the 6 hours each way took. My phone was hooked up to the car and I was using Android Auto for the maps and to play Pandora. My passenger had their phone plugged into the other usb to charge. No problems.

I have a ex-t and I thought the steering was a little twitchy at higher speeds as well. Took some effort to keep the car in the lane at certain times. Overall good experience with this car.
Sponsored