• Start date
  • Watchers 45

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I wanted to get something fun for me and reliable/practical for the family. It came down to a heavily discounted GTI or the Si. The deciding factor was choosing a car that can tolerate 25K miles/yr for 10+ years.

I will miss the power & HIDs of my outgoing MS3. But the driving engagement in the Si & GTI is on a whole other level. Planning to buy an Si Sedan once dealers realize there's very little hype for this car (thanks mostly to strong competition and the CTR).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I wanted to get something fun for me and reliable/practical for the family. It came down to a heavily discounted GTI or the Si. The deciding factor was choosing a car that can tolerate 25K miles/yr for 10+ years.

I will miss the power & HIDs of my outgoing MS3. But the driving engagement in the Si & GTI is on a whole other level. Planning to buy an Si Sedan once dealers realize there's very little hype for this car (thanks mostly to strong competition and the CTR).
Hey this was the same reasoning for why I went with the SI. I needed a car that would last 10+ years, and I didn't want to take the chance on the GTI with their bad track record. The safe choice was the SI. Both great cars though.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only wanted a 2 door coupe, there wasn't many options where I am, Rear wheel drive is out of the question For my climate, would be getting stuck in snow too much. There was no other logical choice that I could see. A turbocharged Kia Forte was too much money (5000 bucks more at 29,000) compared to a Canadian EX-T coupe.

Jukeboxx13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit
Country flag
Almost bought an 03 WRX wagon, but the wife wanted a new car so civic hatch it was.

Still probably going to get a WRX though but just not anytime soon.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Dodge Challenger R/T. Fun to drive but heavy, thirsty and rear drive for Midwestern winters ultimately ruled it out. Also looked at the Toyota FT-86 but found it to narrow focused for a daily.

Porter89

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring CVT
Mazda 3 had some advantages: heads up display, white leather, volume knob, adaptive headlights.

But it was overall reviews I read that put the Civic up above plus Carplay and better reliability/resale.

cobrati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Country flag
Was looking at cars and really considering both Kia Optima and Mazda 6 (both used). With a baby on the way at that point we wanted something large enough to fit her and any of her accessories and thought the Civic might be too small. Finally got to test drive the Civic and really found it to be almost the same size as the Mazda (what I was most interested in honestly) so then it became a matter of buying a used car with 20k miles on it or going new for a few thousand more. As I plan on keeping the car until someone crashes into it or it falls apart/is too expensive to keep putting back together my wife and I figured go new.

LKN

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring, 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Country flag
The second car on my list was a 2017 Honda Accord Touring. It was also very nice, but it didn't have all the advanced features of the Civic (no brake hold, no low speed follow). It drove great, but I was actually expecting it to feel faster than it did considering it has 278 HP (I felt like there's not that much torque low in the RPM range). In the end there was no way I was going to pay 7,000 dollars more for the Accord... it just wasn't worth THAT much more. I also didn't really care for the dual screen layout. It was somewhat quieter and smoother than the Civic, but the Civic was no slouch in those departments and the Civic was IMO a lot more fun to drive... seemed more responsive with better handling

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
Mazda 3 HB 6MT (less MPG, hp for same or >$/body styling too dull/colors dull/fewer dealers)
VW GTI (almost fell under GTI spell but then remembered it's a Volkswagen and I want my car to be working >80K miles)
Audi A5 Sportback (closest I've ever come to buying a "fancy" car, but I just don't need that many hp's/cost/Audi headaches)
Civic Si Sedan (very close second, just too low seating/roof, and no HB/I will miss those heated seats, mirrors and full infotainment system, very tempting)

runnerchicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring - White Orchid Pearl
I just had to decide between the hatch, the coupe, and the sedan. The deciding factor between hatch and no hatch.. cabin noise level. Other than that I went back and forth between the two forever. To be fair, I only drove the hatch in the Sport trim level, not the Sport Touring so I honestly do not know if there would have been a difference in noise level, but I am completely happy with my 2017 Touring sedan in white orchid pearl.

The deciding factor between the coupe and the sedan .. the color. I did not want to dork around trying to find a coupe in the color I wanted. So I went with the sedan. I have no regrets. I absolutely love this car!

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Outside of hondas..I would go with FOCUS ST, FRS/BRZ..

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same model year (2016) VW GTI Autobahn. Loved everything about the GTI, but this was right around the time of their emissions scandal. Ive owned Honda's and Acuras my whole life and felt like Honda was a more "trustworthy" choice, based on past experience. I do not regret my decision!
Sponsored