• Start date
  • Watchers 45

spoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Used NC Miata PHRT, Mazda 6 or 3. I would probably have enjoyed the driving experience of the Mazdas more, but the Civic has all the features I want at a good price.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3699

I wanted cheap and reliable. Didn't like the Focus, so it was the Civic or Mazda 3. Spent 3 days in the city, taking them out of to wn overnight and taking one dealetships' offers to the other - back and forth (yes, driving the competitors car).

Prices were very very close. The mazda was a bit more fun to drive, slightly more comfortable, and has a better GUI. But i got the Honda for the greater cargo space, quieter ride, and the dealer took off another 1500 and tossed in winter tires & rims, block heater, all weather mats on the last day. Though most if that was offered after i decided, and before I told them. I just wanted to see what else they could do. But man, the salesperson i dealth with was a real bitch. I had a word with her sales manager after everything was signed. The mazda guy was great, and worked so hard to get me what i wanted. I actually felt a little bad telling him no.
I'm very happy with my choice and I have been a honda fan (3rd car) for a long time. That said, I regret not giving the Mazda 3 sport a try. I like the look in and out and Dianne they parted ways with Ford I feel like they are probably more reliable.

That being said. I love my car.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3699

Was considering a Corolla but it seemed cheap and not fun to drive
A smart option. I had a new one as a rental and it is a nice little car with decent options. But I do think it is a boring ride. I wonder out the new Elantra compares to something like the Carolla. Like He look of re newest models.

ScrawnyNelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Sedan
Looked at many models around 22k - 26k; seriously considered Mazda 3, Ford Fusion, Subaru BRZ, but Civic and Accord were styling-appeal winners by a million miles. Test-drove a Civic (Touring...ultimately bought an EX-L), and an Accord, but found no compelling reason to choose the Accord over the Civic. With a long daily commute, the Civic is comfortable, feature-rich but economical, and never feels under-powered. I'm happy with it.

b0j4ngl35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
The only other option I was really looking at was the Subaru Crosstrek for the AWD, buuut after driving both, the Civic hatch just felt better to me. Loved the styling, the included features on my EX, better mileage...and the fact that the dealership was running a promotion where they were knocking 20% off sticker price on new vehicles.

Plus, I missed my '08 Mugen Si, so my blue hatchback brings back good memories :D

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I looked at the Volkswagen gti, the Mazda 3 hatch, the Subaru WRX and the Focus ST/RS. The gti was pretty good, but the cargo capacity didn't seem that useful, and VW's history of poorly made cars kind of scared me away. I loved the way the gti drove, but all the stigma ruined it for me. The mazda 3 hatch almost did it for me, but again, the usefulness of the cargo area wasn't as good as the Focus and the Civic's. I went and drove a WRX - hard to get a dealership to let you these days. I got in and was ready to be wooed into putting down a deposit down, but then the thing basically drove like a tractor at slow speeds, and while the acceleration was nice, it wasn't as exciting as I was hoping it would be. That, and the fact that it didn't have a hatch at all, ruined the WRX for me (if it had a hatch, I would have likely looked at it a little harder, since I live in the northeast and deal with snow). I then test drove two focus STs, and with incentives, I got very close to buying one, but when I really took a long look at it, I noticed that panels weren't uniformly fitting, paint job was not great, interior was a bit rattly already (with only 10 miles on the clock), and after the test drive, both cars smelled like I was burning something up (probably not a big deal, but a little worrisome nonetheless). I then went and test drove an EX hatch, expecting it to be too slow, and boy was I wrong. It pulled strong, but that CVT was dreadful, so I then test drove the LX hatch manual, and I was sold, power was there, excitement was there, interior was quiet, no touch screen radio nonsense, etc.. I decided to go with the Sport manual hatch, and flew out to another state to get it, couldn't be happier with my decision.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I was actually just looking around and went with a few friends to look at it in the dealership, was impressed with the interior and the list of available gadgets. Initially I didn't expect much because I have sat in the 9th gen many times and everything was pedestrian at best, 10th gen was a huge step up.

JudgeCrater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Ridgeline, Accord
Country flag
2016 Accord Sport. Was actually kind of a tie between that and the Civic Touring, but after looking at both, i felt like I was getting a lot more for my money with the Civic
Same for me but thought the Accord was a little larger than I needed as most of the time there would only be one, maybe two aboard.

ravidavi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual Sedan
Country flag
For me it was the fully-loaded 2017 Mazda3 GT sedan. I really liked the way it drove and its appearance, plus Mazda isn't afraid to offer its iActiveSense safety package (equivalent to Honda Sensing) for manual transmission.

However, several things made me choose the Civic: Android Auto, rear legroom, trunk space, gas mileage, and purchase price. Honestly if Mazda offered AA, I might have been able to overlook the others for the sheer fun of driving a Mazda. But as it stands, all those "little things" led to my Civic purchase, and I'm happy with it! I do sympathize with other Civic owners who can't get AA to work, but it works almost flawlessly with my Nexus 5x.

I wish there was some way for me to tell Mazda that lack of AA pretty much cost them a car sale. :)

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I guess I'm the only one or just the first to admit it but after looking at them all on paper (just features I cared about/$), Sentra, Corolla, focus, Cruze, etc... Only other one I wanted to check out was the Elantra sport. But I couldn't find one anywhere and nobody could tell me when and while buying my wife's CR-V found out they had one manual ext in white so I bought it the next day.

JudgeCrater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Ridgeline, Accord
Country flag
1. I am just curious as to which car did your civic model beat out? Excluding a different trim. What did you almost go for?

2. What was the defining reason/factor?

Mine was the 2017 Subaru BRZ. The car is tops in my books to drive but the cost was too high. Thousands more pre taxes than my OTD civic. One day though. One day.
Second choice was a Mercedes SLS. Defining factor was price.

hunterbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan
Never considered alternatives. At least none beyond putting a new A/C compressor in my '08 and keeping it a couple more years.

Loved my '00 Accord. Switched to Civic in '08 because Accords by that point had gotten toodambig to fit in my garage. Loved the '08 Civic.

I've got to say the 2017 Civic surpassed my expectations and is twice the quality and value of either earlier Honda.
Sponsored