Wheel Hop

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Hey all, first thread submit here, so wat up!

So the bad boy turned over 1000kms today, so naturally I had to have a little fun with it. I noticed a bit of wheel hop between 1-2 shifts, WOT, probably at 5-6 grand... and I was hoping it was just the winter tires I have on as they're pretty soft and grippy. The temperature outside was about -1C, Michelin X-Ice, stock size, on steelies.

Just looking to see if this is a common thing... hoping when I put the summers on it goes away.

You guys rock. Thanks for readin'.
Sponsored

4drsiblue

First Name
Itz_knt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
It hops like crazy! Might have to sacrifice for harder mounts for it to go away just a little. Then again the inside of your car will rattle depends on how hard
The polyurethane inserts are.

Reactions: jeb

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
It will probably hop worse on stickier tires.

Im pretty sure I felt my transmission hit the firewall a couple times during my first race lol.

cubsws2016

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt
as a current driver of a car with a ton of wheel hop, i would think a good set of lower control arms front and rear would help big time in this area.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Some of us with an Si have noticed this as well. I suspect the limited-slip differential in the Si makes it feel and sound even worse! The first time it happened to me I just knew I was going to look in my rearview mirror and see my engine and transmission scattered in the roadway. :)

http://www.civicx.com/threads/vsa-thumps-in-the-rain.16790/#post-306702

4drsiblue

First Name
Itz_knt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
It almost feels like drag radial on the streets. But without the g force because our cars are slow. It’s so violent I probably wouldn’t do another dig in this car. Until the problem is solve.

OP
OP
jeb

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well crap! My launch did kinda suck though. See below.

Disclamer: Done on a controlled, closed course on private property by a guy that is just getting back into driving a manual transmission, please don't murder me over the internet.

I should have shut off traction control before I did that launch, it really killed my take off. You can't really hear the wheel hop on camera surprisingly, but god damn was it ever there.

Some of us with an Si have noticed this as well. I suspect the limited-slip differential in the Si makes it feel and sound even worse! The first time it happened to me I just knew I was going to look in my rearview mirror and see my engine and transmission scattered in the roadway. :)

http://www.civicx.com/threads/vsa-thumps-in-the-rain.16790/#post-306702
Ol' Zroger! look at that. I remember you from the Ridgeline forums! How the hell are ya!? Certainly had a few good debates with you over there years back.

Okay so apparently this is a common thing. I don't usually drive my car this hard, I just wanted to see what it could do! Annoying yes, but I haven't noticed any other wheel hop, but I have been taking it kinda easy on it the first 1000km, we'll see how it does in rain.

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ol' Zroger! look at that. I remember you from the Ridgeline forums! How the hell are ya!? Certainly had a few good debates with you over there years back.
Jeb! :) I'm great - hope you're well! I'm still active at the Ridgeline Owner's Club after a decade (as a moderator these days). I'm on my 4th Ridgeline (2007, 2010, 2014, 2017) and picked up a new 2017 Civic Si about six months ago. The incredibly fun Civic Si is my daily driver. The Ridgeline now sits in the garage and only sees weekend duty about 4,000 miles per year, so it should stay well-preserved. :)

How do you like your Civic hatchback? I think Honda did a great job with the 10th generation Civic.

OP
OP
jeb

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Jeb! :) I'm great - hope you're well! I'm still active at the Ridgeline Owner's Club after a decade (as a moderator these days). I'm on my 4th Ridgeline (2007, 2010, 2014, 2017) and picked up a new 2017 Civic Si about six months ago. The incredibly fun Civic Si is my daily driver. The Ridgeline now sits in the garage and only sees weekend duty about 4,000 miles per year, so it should stay well-preserved. :)

How do you like your Civic hatchback? I think Honda did a great job with the 10th generation Civic.
PM'in you sir!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
how bad is the wheel hop in the civic? cause it was downright dangerous in my mustang until i put stiffer springs on and better shocks.
Like I said, the first time it happened to me I expected to see springs and gears flying out of the car. :)

Interestingly, I've never experienced wheel hop on dry pavement - I just get tire spin and squeal. Usually, wheel hop occurs only while turning and accelerating moderately on slick roads. However, it's happened while accelerating heavily at moderate speeds while driving in a straight line as well.

OP
OP
jeb

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
how bad is the wheel hop in the civic? cause it was downright dangerous in my mustang until i put stiffer springs on and better shocks.
From what I experienced it’s not that bad, I could only produce it on the 1-2 shifts... and it just seems to be the 1.5T powered civics. I didn’t notice it on a 2.0 I had out for a rip from the dealer.

OP
OP
jeb

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I think it’s a torque thing. I had a 2.0 sedan out for a drive and it didn’t do this from the 1-2 shifts. It chirped a little but I think it’s the extra torque that causes the hop.
Sponsored