What type and kind of oil, oil change

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did a search didn't really find anything on the brand of oil or synthetic or not. I'm thinking Mobil one any thoughts? I have also had good luck with motor craft oil in my 2010.
Sponsored

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
Even if you limit yourself to just this forum, you'll find quite a lot of data and opinions. I've looked through nearly all of them. I think you should look through them as well. After all my research, I decided I'm going with:

Mobil 1 0W-20 High Mileage Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil

I haven't decided on a filter yet, I still have a few thousand miles before that time comes. What filter are you going with?

Last edited:
OP
OP
zrwizard

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even if you limit yourself to just this forum, you'll find quite a lot of data and opinions. I've looked through nearly all of them. I think you should look through them as well. After all my research, I decided I'm going with:

Mobil 1 5W-20 High Mileage Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil

I haven't decided on a filter yet, I still have a few thousand miles before that time comes. What filter are you going with?
I've always use Purolator filters for all my equipment , atvs,sleds, cars.Bob the oil guy forum highly rated them years ago , I should go check that site again.

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
Oops, I edited my post above, im going to use 0W-20, per the manual,I'll check out your link.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some people get synthetics with an aim for high PAO content. PAO is by definition synthetic oil, but it's compatibility with additives and detergents is not the best in heavier oil (so, not likely a factor with our 0w-20 recommended). After reading on synthetics, I chose an oil with GTL Group III base stock because of the very good reduced volatility. Lower volatility means less oil loss, reduced accelerated aging of oil, less additive depletion (maintains cleaning ability and pH), better degradation with higher temperatures (turbochargers), and decreased piston and turbocharger deposit build-up. PM me, and I'll tell you the oil I chose.

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm due for my 1st ever oil change on the Civic Hatch EX-L and i get 3-4 oil changes per year for 3yrs at the dealer on the house

Can i request the 0-20W Mobile 1 or will they give me cheap crap?

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I'm due for my 1st ever oil change on the Civic Hatch EX-L and i get 3-4 oil changes per year for 3yrs at the dealer on the house

Can i request the 0-20W Mobile 1 or will they give me cheap crap?
Any SAE approved oil for gasoline car will do the job.
I always buy any know good oil brand in special sale. I do more than 200,000kms / 124,000 miles on the 2nd car, a Toyota Corolla

Last edited:

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally not a fan of Mobil 1. Tried it since it was the most popular but it was burning in my 2002 Acura RSX Premium.

This is the reason why I learned about Castrol 0W-30 (Made in Germany) and never looked backed.

I would use it on my Hatchback Sport Touring but this is the first that recommends 0W-20 and can't take that risk.

I always wanted to try Amsoil so ordered the Signature Series. Changing it myself sometime next month when I hit 8k/km.

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally not a fan of Mobil 1. Tried it since it was the most popular but it was burning in my 2002 Acura RSX Premium.

This is the reason why I learned about Castrol 0W-30 (Made in Germany) and never looked backed.

I would use it on my Hatchback Sport Touring but this is the first that recommends 0W-20 and can't take that risk.

I always wanted to try Amsoil so ordered the Signature Series. Changing it myself sometime next month when I hit 8k/km.

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well I always use Castrol GTX in my Celica. But I don't know what the dealer will put in the civic since they are doing as part of the purchase package. And I'm not sure if I can request what to put....

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
problem is you can request whatever but how can you know what they actually put in your car? I change my own.

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
Any SAE approved oil for gasoline car will do the job.
I always buy any know good oil brand in special. I have more than 200,000kms / 124,000 miles
200000 km? On the new civic? 1.5??
Sponsored