OP
OP

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Yeah, I was thinking B Street as well. The Focus RS and the current Golf R are in BS. Hopefully there will be some adjustability in the Type R's suspension to get some more negative camber up front. Even then, I think that it will be a challenge for the Type R to beat the BS-ruling Corvettes and S2000s.

As for competition in the marketplace - which is what the OP appears to have been thinking, not actual motorsports competition - there is a weird inversion in the Canadian marketplace as the Golf R 6-spd is $32k(US) vs. $41k for the same car in the USA. Thus, the Golf R will almost certainly be priced a bit lower than the Type R in Canada. However, I already have an AWD Q-ship full of typical VW electrical problems :rolleyes:.
Actually both as it seems very few people (at least those posting on this forum) are interested in or planning on doing any sort of competition with the R, more-so hard parking at Cars and Coffee. I will be playing in HS this year and looking at future classification.

Also, just curious as to what others think this car will compete with in the marketplace. Is a FocusRS buyer going to look at the R? I will say that if the R doesn't live up to expectations (which I doubt it will) I think the next player for me is the RS, unless Subaru debuts a new STi in the coming months. But I feel that a car with a world class AWD system is the next step above the R, not the other way around. And that really is the basis for my thoughts on marketplace competition.
Sponsored

SaiHayashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FN2R NHB 2008; NA8 MX-5 turbo 2013; LandRover Discovery 2016; FK8R CW 2017
Country flag
Actually both as it seems very few people (at least those posting on this forum) are interested in or planning on doing any sort of competition with the R, more-so hard parking at Cars and Coffee. I will be playing in HS this year and looking at future classification.

Also, just curious as to what others think this car will compete with in the marketplace. Is a FocusRS buyer going to look at the R? I will say that if the R doesn't live up to expectations (which I doubt it will) I think the next player for me is the RS, unless Subaru debuts a new STi in the coming months. But I feel that a car with a world class AWD system is the next step above the R, not the other way around. And that really is the basis for my thoughts on marketplace competition.
Market wise type r is definitely in the same class as sti and golf r. Same price range in Australia.
In fact I was eagerly waiting for the FA20 sti but it never happened, then theres the type r.
Although not AWD, I did almost put down money for the scirroco r wolfsberg edition, again same price range and very well built, but it doesnt offer the same boot space as the type r will.

Reactions: JYR

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Also, just curious as to what others think this car will compete with in the marketplace.
It depends on the buyer also... for me this type R is competing against the Juke Nismo RS, Golf R, and Mercedes GLA.

This is purely a daily driver for me. My other vehicle is the real monster and no type R will ever compete with it. Yet I enjoy driving rough daily drivers... shockingly the Nismo was a horrible ride but felt amazing behind the wheel.

I look at the Type R this way... FK2 owners easily pulled 32+ MPG. Massive trunk space. Boy race looks. I won't see another in my local parking lot. Affordable.

That's all I want... if I see another identical vehicle in my local parking lot I immediately want to set my car aflame. I hate it with a passion and it's what holds me back from any other daily in Michigan outside of most Japanese models. My down payment is at the dealer and I'm #2 if something shady doesn't go on I'll own this car proudly. But I think the competition for me isn't an STI or RS... it's cars that I don't see many of here.

Reactions: JYR

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
For those of you wondering how the CTR will fare against the likes of the STI, RS and R, go and have a look at the many head-to-head vids on YouTube of the FK2 CTR flogging its AWD rivals around the track, in the dry. From a launch and in the wet it gets smoked, but on the track it is an absolute assassin. That trick front diff and the suspension setup does its thing.
That's cause the AWD cars are fat pigs in comparison. Put an NFL lineman in the passenger seat of your Type R, and a QB in the backseat, and you've got a Golf R.

3600 lb cars suck on the track, they're great for like 3 laps then the tires and brakes are overheating and your times are sucking.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The USDM configuration on the Golf R changed with 2017... maybe that helps explain the discrepancy?

The FK2 seems fairly potent against the S2K in the limited comparisons that are available. Which leads me to believe the new CTR will have a similar advantage. At least in the dry.
http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/phgsi81flrrr

One can only hope...
I tried to configure the Golfs to be equivalent. The other cars - STi, RS - more or less lined up - US/Canada. The Golf R was the outlier - as hopefully will be the Type R - "mid-30's" US$ is quite a bit more than "low-40's" CA$ so it will be interesting to see what Honda does to prevent Americans from coming up and buying Canadian Type R's.

As for BS, lap times rarely correspond to AutoX times, especially in Street class where how well the suspension can be adjusted/benefit from one bar change means a lot. The Type R will have 20" rims so (I think that) you can only drop to 19" rims, and then there's the decision between 255/35x19 vs. 245/40x19 RE71R's. (There are no Rival S or V720 that fit as far as I can tell, but there is an RS-3.) At least all of these tires can be flipped to maximize life.

However, I won't be autox-ing my Type R - I'll rent a seat in someone else's if it looks to be competitive.

Although very different from the Type R, and I would have used these vehicles very differently, I would have seriously considered a WRX or STi hatch, or the not-sold-in-North-America Golf R Sportwagen. I ignored the RS for various reasons - interior, chassis age, probably residual value ... New STi is rumoured for 2020; the 2018 is a facelift.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We(they wife and I) will probably AutoX mine. We will be in SP(SSP Indexed) class, where we have been for 4 years. I will also probably be running lapping days at Mid Ohio, and running in One lap of America next year.

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
Honestly the CTR brings the mystique / legend of the Type-R. I didn't grow up lusting after a Ford Focus.

Honda can get away with it for a few years until the market is saturated, then they will have to compete better on price / performance / features.

BKTMKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si
Honestly the CTR brings the mystique / legend of the Type-R. I didn't grow up lusting after a Ford Focus.

Honda can get away with it for a few years until the market is saturated, then they will have to compete better on price / performance / features.
I don't know if that mystique/legend will last more than 1 year with all the competition out there. I think they will have to start the better price/performance/features you mentioned the 2nd year on....just my opinion.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
We(they wife and I) will probably AutoX mine. We will be in SP(SSP Indexed) class, where we have been for 4 years. I will also probably be running lapping days at Mid Ohio, and running in One lap of America next year.
Auto cross will find the weaknesses for sure especially cooling and suspension setup

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I would be surprised if the CTR is put in SSP.

In any case, on paper, the Si Coupe may well be a better autox competitor than the CTR - the Si will probably be in GS, w/LSD, better tire choices, probably lighter, probably narrower track.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would be surprised if the CTR is put in SSP.

In any case, on paper, the Si Coupe may well be a better autox competitor than the CTR - the Si will probably be in GS, w/LSD, better tire choices, probably lighter, probably narrower track.
It probably won't. But that is the class we run with our GT3.
Probably see how it does on the Fun runs, maybe find some light 18's and put on some A7's.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
It probably won't. But that is the class we run with our GT3.
Probably see how it does on the Fun runs, maybe find some light 18's and put on some A7's.
I worry about the linkage, fuel tank, and other pieces on A7s. Non-baffled tank could lead to motor going lean... much less that grip on those stock linkages.

Why I always upgrade those pieces before I go full slicks.

But I agree. 18in rims and A7 for AutoX and R7 for track since that weight will get to temp no issue on Rs

rogazilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
This depends on what's the 'playing field'. When compare cars, you have to set the ground for comparison.
on Pricing: mid 30s would compete with Golf R, Focus RS, STI ... 40's you are now competing with Mustang, Camero SS, used M3(e9x), 997

on drive (FF): Golf GTI, Focus ST ...
on Hatchback (top of the line of the model): Golf R, Focus RS...
get where I am going? The car can compete but you have to know what's the target. Honda set the target as the fastest FF on the ring. So that's their target and the fact 9th gen beat out some pretty expensive car on the ring including M2, Gallado, 996, 997 and more, I'd say they hit their target. Let's see what the 10th gen can do.

As for individual buyer, you will have to see which is more important for you. AWD? look else where. 35-40 range? checked. Automatic? look else where and so on so forth.
Sponsored