What does the CTR compete with?

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
All very true points. Remember, the GTI is what VW used to beat the R on the 'ring.
https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

The STi is 5 seconds slower than the CURRENT R, though the last time Subaru ran the ring was 2010.
I see it R FK2 does M4, Ford GT, Gallardo. Not bad. Now it might be that the driver made the difference also. However the progress is amazing getting at same level with exotic cars / recent supercars. A relatively affordable car for enthusiasts + bold styling. Unlike other brands where you have to pawn your house to get those.
Sponsored

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
The STI, focus RS, and golf R are perfectly reasonable competitors as "track/sports focused" versions of a commuter chasis with 2 rows of seats.

4wd isn't that important at the 300hp range with modern tires and isn't always worth the weight. I guess we'll see what the new type R will come out at, but I doubt they would release a type r that can't record the best 'ring time.

I don't really have too high of expectations for it though. navi? ac? what happened to the type R track monsters of the 90's...

In any event, none of these cars area really in the competition for the track-performance/price zone dominated by the current mustang and camaro

OP
OP

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I don't really have too high of expectations for it though. navi? ac? what happened to the type R track monsters of the 90's...
You missed that conversation. lol

The R was wanted by the Americans, hence why there is Navi and AC. Several videos from our overseas counterparts have said the comfort mode was installed for the US customers, though will be available for everyone as it is a global car. -Yes, really.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase

The R was wanted by the Americans, hence why there is Navi and AC. Several videos from our overseas counterparts have said the comfort mode was installed for the US customers, though will be available for everyone as it is a global car. -Yes, really.
:respect:

What do I think competes with the Type R? Anyone who wants to race.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
I think the CTR is more in the STI/RS category than the ST/GTI/Si category, because it's a more hard-core, performance-focused car, while the others are more suitable as daily drivers or even family cars.

But who knows? Maybe the CTR won't be insanely loud, and maybe the "comfort" mode will actually be comfortable even with those 20" rims -- we'll see.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I think the best way to describe it is a "niche" car. About the closest USDM FWD competitor is the Cobalt SST (as far as SCCA is concerned).

That said, I expect the CTR will fall in the same class as the S2K, Evo and STI (B Stock). It's too competitive for DS IMHO.
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2011/stockc.html
Yeah, I was thinking B Street as well. The Focus RS and the current Golf R are in BS. Hopefully there will be some adjustability in the Type R's suspension to get some more negative camber up front. Even then, I think that it will be a challenge for the Type R to beat the BS-ruling Corvettes and S2000s.

As for competition in the marketplace - which is what the OP appears to have been thinking, not actual motorsports competition - there is a weird inversion in the Canadian marketplace as the Golf R 6-spd is $32k(US) vs. $41k for the same car in the USA. Thus, the Golf R will almost certainly be priced a bit lower than the Type R in Canada. However, I already have an AWD Q-ship full of typical VW electrical problems :rolleyes:.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
So is it AWD-less and a few grand less than a STI, Golf R, and Focus RS yet it competes with those vehicles? Last I checked, all three AWD vehicles mentioned tip out around $40-$42k, trim depending.

The CTR is going to get waxed by these vehicles, I think.
CTR only has 1 Loaded trim. A base STI can be had under 35. If the CTR cost 35k and because it has Navi and all those crap. The car itself should be less then 32. Being FWD it WILL suffer in rain, snow, probably rally too. CTR has a cheaper drive train. You'll paying more for the body kit really.

Reactions: Evo

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The STI, focus RS, and golf R are perfectly reasonable competitors as "track/sports focused" versions of a commuter chasis with 2 rows of seats.

4wd isn't that important at the 300hp range with modern tires and isn't always worth the weight. I guess we'll see what the new type R will come out at, but I doubt they would release a type r that can't record the best 'ring time.

In any event, none of these cars area really in the competition for the track-performance/price zone dominated by the current mustang and camaro
If you can't beat a Camaro or Mustang through a turn with a type R, then you shouldn't be buying one.

Fled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
For those of you wondering how the CTR will fare against the likes of the STI, RS and R, go and have a look at the many head-to-head vids on YouTube of the FK2 CTR flogging its AWD rivals around the track, in the dry. From a launch and in the wet it gets smoked, but on the track it is an absolute assassin. That trick front diff and the suspension setup does its thing.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
If you can't beat a Camaro or Mustang through a turn with a type R, then you shouldn't be buying one.
the new mustangs and camaros are nothing like the old generations... they can turn pretty well...

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

I actually think it's the other way around to a degree. In talking to a guy who was with Acura during the ITR days, he testified that very few USDM buyers wanted the ITR sans AC.

IMHO, Honda opted to do the minimum configurations to keep costs low on a global platform produced in a single facility. Would a fully optioned CTR sell here? Of course, to the 40 or so enthusiasts on this board who've confirmed they'll be getting one.

But for the remaining 6-10K buyers out there over the next 3 years? I figure they're not as concerned about options that are designed to substitute the driving focus this car demands. At least here in North America where the market is MUCH more sensitive to pricing.

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

I have thrown a lot of hate against the SI as I have had 4 of them before and was disappointed ...but the Type R is amazing...currently have a golf R 6MT Tech...have to say I love the look of the Type R and it is in my opinion a car to reckon with and a direct competitor for my R...but I would think the handling would be interesting....the Type R on paper seems like it would easily outhandle my R but the AWD of my R does compensate with the rears....very curious to find out...and will admit...if the Type R was AWD, I would have already prepaid for one...but harsh Canadian winters make the R a better choice for traction and fun...and 6 months of lousy weather is a long time...but the Type R has caught my attention and I will be excited to see one at the lights....

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah, I was thinking B Street as well. The Focus RS and the current Golf R are in BS. Hopefully there will be some adjustability in the Type R's suspension to get some more negative camber up front. Even then, I think that it will be a challenge for the Type R to beat the BS-ruling Corvettes and S2000s.

As for competition in the marketplace - which is what the OP appears to have been thinking, not actual motorsports competition - there is a weird inversion in the Canadian marketplace as the Golf R 6-spd is $32k(US) vs. $41k for the same car in the USA. Thus, the Golf R will almost certainly be priced a bit lower than the Type R in Canada. However, I already have an AWD Q-ship full of typical VW electrical problems :rolleyes:.
The USDM configuration on the Golf R changed with 2017... maybe that helps explain the discrepancy?

The FK2 seems fairly potent against the S2K in the limited comparisons that are available. Which leads me to believe the new CTR will have a similar advantage. At least in the dry.
http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/phgsi81flrrr

One can only hope...

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
the new mustangs and camaros are nothing like the old generations... they can turn pretty well...
Exactly what I was going to say... I'd assume on nearly every track the Mustang and Camaro will stomp the Type R (equal drivers)... even on tighter road courses. The mustang is an excellent SCCA platform and fantastic in TransAm!
Sponsored