What are these missing buttons?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Where's the blind spot cam? The HomeLink garage door buttons? Spare tire? Remote start? Auto-dimming rearview? Heated mirrors? Those are all options that take nothing away from the Type R, yet they don't even offer them as add-ons. It's not like it even adds significant weight for those concerned with that, except the spare. Just remove it for the track.
Shoot even the parking sensors would have been a nice standard feature. Hasn't happened yet, but I don't want to bump bumpers on a car like this!

These options were left out by design. They know die hard fans like us are going to buy the car immediately so they are able to save some money. Then a year or two down the road they will add in some of those options. I bought a 2005 s2000 and it had a ton of stuff over the Ap1. But even the following year they added traction control and passenger airbag turn off. Maybe more, don't recall.
If that was the case, they should have withheld the Navigation system. Not arguing with you specifically @alphatrion but the whole one trim level with standard, non-customizable equipment list is rather outdated.

The car has 4 doors and 4 seats with ?12? airbags and what 12 speaker audio and navigation (so you don't get lost on AutoX course maybe? haha). It is most certainly not a race car BUT it has the bones to become one with some equipment deletion, tires, and perhaps a handful of other small things.

I do hope Honda builds a 'base' version and/or a more hardcore version with 2 seats, no navi, perhaps no interior carpet etc, and another 30+ hp.
Sponsored

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
And some of us, like me, want to drive and think daily driving can be seat time. I'm glad the nanny systems aren't on the car because I don't want to race a Pig. I could care less about any of the "oh my God its like a floating couch with a remote and I'm at home in the car" features. I'm Still the Driver!

I'm responsible for a 3,000 lb vehicle going down the side street or highway. I'm responsible to ensure that I don't run into someone because my attention while behind the wheel of a vehicle that can kill someone should only be on the road. Long or short trip, no one is responsible no matter how the drive ends but me, The Driver.

Younger people don't even want to drive. These systems are there to help them not drive and protect the rest of us from that. I instruct at the Tire Rack Street Survival Schools and see and hear this first hand.

I was at the Rolex this year with my boyfriend who works for HPD. He introduced me around. One of the big HPD bosses, Art, was there and he asked me what I thought of the Civic Type R coming over. I was being professional but honestly expressed my passionate opinion that if the CTR was going to be modded for the American driver with soft suspension and loads of nanny features because OMG we don't actually want to "drive" the car then I wasn't interested in buying it and would be severely disappointed. That is all I hear about from my friend Randy who reviews cars for Motor Trend and tests them on the track. "Angela people don't want sports cars anymore unless they offer the every day luxury like heated and cooled seats and CVT or automatic transmissions. This is why they have to up the horsepower to give it enough umph to get over the weight." You know those SUVs with amazing horsepower their building, those are to impress the old guys young wife cuz he can't get in/out of a sports car anymore.

Like I told Art, HPD, if people want the comfort features then let them buy them and add them on. But I hope Honda will realize that the rest of us want the car that went and set the FWD fastest time at the Ring and if not, sell it as a dealer installed package. He smiled and told me, "You'll be fine." Afterwards my boyfriend told me that he was part of the team bringing the CTR to the US. I was like, Oh, so happy that I was passionate and professional with him.

While I'm not famous driver I do race two weekends a month or sometimes more. It's a passion. It's a love. It does not matter if it is grassroots or professional. It's what gives me joy. It has to be to drive my CR-X over four hours to a race, change the tires, race, change the tires and then drive home. No trailer. Drive. No AC either. Hell I drove my 91 Hatch from FL to NE for the Solo Nationals by myself one year. It was a great road trip. No AC. Stuck in Atlanta traffic for over 2 hours. Sweated it out. Was dying at the time but its a great story that I get to tell.

I hope you guys can add the features that you feel are missing. If Honda has done what they have done in the past as well as other manufacturers all the wiring should be there it is just a matter of acquiring and installing the parts.
This! Spot on.

This is what the spirit of the Type-R is. For me it's closer to Lotus than BMW M. We can disagree, and that's perfectly fine, but I think those things water down the car, whether they add weight or not. The car should be about driving and the experience of driving, not about being driven or having all kinds of gadgets. It's the same reason I'm glad it doesn't have an auto option. All of the arguments that you guys made could also be made the same way about auto: "yeah, but I daily the car in traffic, auto would be nice if I want it". I'm happy that these things weed out some people. I would rather that happen than the car get watered down, which is absolutely what will happen if the market asks for it.

The rest of you are looking for an M3 and don't know it.

I want the 911 GT3 of Civics!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag

lbiaggi

First Name
Light
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Honda Prelude SI
No. The Type R does not have rain-sensing wipers - it has variable intermittent wipers (as opposed to fixed intermittent wipers on the LX and Sport). The Sport Touring hatchback has rain-sensing wipers.
shit i was sure it has it thanks for correction

alphatrion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R 05 S2000
@tuxmonkey
Well you can make that argument about any of the items that it did come with. Nav is a big enough feature that not having it may preclude some buyers. Pretty much every car has nav now. Guaranteed they will be adding more features as the modle ages. My 17 Golf R has everything. Not a VW fan but when my RSX was totalled 8 months ago I couldn't wait for the CTR. But I bet my VW will crush my CTR in a straight Line.

Last edited:

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wondering if this is something they offer in other countries or something. Or something they scrapped for final product. I was just going through some pictures in my phone I had for a few months and noticed there's more than just the VSA that I have.

photo-voiture.jpg
This is from the European model.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@tuxmonkey
Well you can make that argument about any of the items that it did come with. Nav is a big enough feature that not having it may preclude some buyers. Pretty much every car has nav now. Guaranteed they will be adding more features as the modle ages. My 17 Golf R has everything. Not a VW fan but when my RSX was totalled 8 months ago I couldn't wait for the CTR. But I bet my VW will crush my CTR in a straight Line.
The car comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto... 99.9% of the people buying this car will have a smartphone that can use either of these features. Why even put nav on a car with ACP or AA? The nav is an excuse to call it Touring when the functionality of the map apps on iOS and Android are inherently better.

No one is buying the CTR to run it in a straight line. :crazy:

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
I don't get the obsession of keeping these features out of the car. "You just want a car that can drive itself, is super plush for American drivers, and isn't a driver's car." No, that's not the case at all. Maybe I missed something, but the car they did the ring lap in, was the Euro model...which guess what? It has all those features installed on it. Check the press pictures of the car. Headlight washers, sensing camera where the mirror is, etc. Right there, the argument against them is already silly.

Plus, half of these features are not about you being the driver (which seems to be the focus of everyone's discussion on the topic), they are about other people driving around you. No matter how much of a defensive driver you are on the road, there are 100x the amount of really bad drivers who can hit your car without notice. Granted being a defensive driver certainly can get you out of a large portion of accidents, but some of them are just unavoidable, or perhaps, if you had warning, or faster-than-human reflexes like a car's computer, they could be avoided. Something simple like the backup sensors that could avoid nearly hitting people that fly through parking lots. No matter how many times you look behind you or use your backup camera, they can just come from way out of your field of view right into your car. Turn off what you don't want, but the minuscule extra weight to the car for the backup sensors isn't going to make or break your lap time, and that's a fact proven by the ring time.

alphatrion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R 05 S2000
I don't know what your point is?
I only said that Honda will add more features as the car ages. Could happen as soon as 18 or 19. You seem to disagree with that point?

The 18 Golf R got a few more goodies over my 17. Every car maker does this. When I was shopping for a car I considered the 17 Sti but it was missing too many things I wanted. Now the 18 has some of those. When I said Nav I meant Apple car play but that is part of those systems. I always use my iPhone to navigate or ask Siri to text or phone through the car.

Not a lot of people take their cars to the track. I have only done it 3x with my Ap2. My Golf R and CTR are commuters. I didn't say anyone would buy the car for straight line challenges my point was that my Golf R is fully loaded with options and would still beat the CTR.
The car comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto... 99.9% of the people buying this car will have a smartphone that can use either of these features. Why even put nav on a car with ACP or AA? The nav is an excuse to call it Touring when the functionality of the map apps on iOS and Android are inherently better.

No one is buying the CTR to run it in a straight line. :crazy:

qt_pSidon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
I don't know what your point is?
I only said that Honda will add more features as the car ages. Could happen as soon as 18 or 19. You seem to disagree with that point?
The 18 Golf R got a few more goodies over my 17. Every car maker does this. When I was shopping for a car I considered the 17 Sti but it was missing too many things I wanted. Now the 18 has some of those. When I said Nav I meant Apple car play but that is part of those systems. I always use my iPhone to navigate or ask Siri to text or phone through the car.
Not a lot of people take their cars to the track. I have only done it 3x with my Ap2. My Golf R and CTR are commuters. I didn't say anyone would buy the car for straight line challenges my point was that my Golf R is fully loaded with options and would still beat the CTR.
Yes, car companies does this, but if we look at VW Golf R the MK7 Golf R was released in 2015 and offered all features minus sunroof for the US market, it actually allowed customers to choose if they wanted the Driver Assist Program (DAP), and 2018 model will be the MK7.5 (midcycle/face lift change) which will include new tech and improved safety features. But 2015 to 2017 Golf R they all included the same features from the start.

On the other hand the Honda Civic Type R have all those features in the Euro market from the start and decided to remove all those features/options for US Market, I mean even Canada will get some of the features/options. That is where it becomes crappy, we all know about it and it was deliberately removed before it was released here, without giving us, the customer, any options to want it or not. To me if Honda decided to add these stuff later is a bit bs because it should had already been there from the start and when they do a mid-cycle change, then I expect an improvement or new options to go on top of initial released options.

It's the same with Subaru, the 2018 is a mid-cycle change so you will expect a lot of new features, but 2015-2017 there were not many drastic change, one change was a better infotainment system within the 2015-2017MY. Also the introduction of the WRX with Eye Sight.

So your comparison is not great when you are talking about the Golf R and STi because the 17 to 18 will be a mid-cycle change and when that happen car companies will introduce new tech/options that will give buyers an idea what to expect in the next generation.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But you are still pushing the idea of a straight light race that no one in a Type R cares about. Yes, the Golf R comes with more features... That's VW for you. The comparison we are trying to make is between the USA Type R and the European model that has the option for more features...... for commuter cars just like you are inferring most people use their cars for. It's a circular argument that is going nowhere.

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
I know it was hard to read in my passionate response but what I was telling Art was that I wanted the suspension and power train that the Type R had set the Ring record, anything else I could care less about. Thankfully we got that.

It's funny because I read all these posts about how people have played with features of the car and I'm like, I haven't had time nor interest but I am curious about them. I'll get around to them one day. lol.

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R, '92 NSX, 97/99 EK, 07 TL-S, 90 CRX, 02 Civic EX
Country flag
As a "techie" or whatever you want to call it, one of the places I don't really want or need tech is in my car. Thats what made the Gen 6 and 7 civics such great cars, the 99 hatch I have has an LS/GSR engine, A/C and whatever else was stock on a CX at the time, which wasn't much. Same thing with the S2000, and Gen1 NSX. Fast forward to 2017-18 and you can't buy a car today that doesnt have all of this crap on it, its cool crap, but for me my touring add-on is A/C.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
The Ring record lap car is the one with halogen headlights.
I hope they are going to release this version.
Honda Civic 10th gen What are these missing buttons? 2018-Honda-Civic-Type-R-Nurburgring-run

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
The Ring record lap car is the one with halogen headlights.
I hope they are going to release this version.
Honda Civic 10th gen What are these missing buttons? 2018-Honda-Civic-Type-R-Nurburgring-run
I NEED a high resolution version of that picture. Stunning.

How cool would it be if they made a lightweight version with a factory cage?
Sponsored