Watch video while driving

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Hi,
I know we are still all trying to get our audio to work period ;-)

But has anyone gotten video to work while driving? Passengers would love to watch netflix or just movies in general.
Sponsored

igacek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I don't think this is possible without rooting the entertainment system or serious modifications. There's some YouTube music videos I'd love to play while driving, like full concert recordings or something.

An alternative that I've found is to place your phone in landscape mode above the entertainment system just to the left of the brightness adjust button. If you could find a way to secure each side from sliding around, you could charge your phone and stream Netflix quite easily. I've done this to watch football games while in my car at a stoplight or something.

Rev_Goliath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2016 Pilot EX-L
I'm half way there. Setting DD VSP Error to OFF allows the video to play while in drive, but once you start moving, say about 3mph, the video (from USB) is cut and audio continues. I'm still digging, but my guess is GPS motion related or gyro related. I tried finding a place to disable the GPS antenna in the developers menu, but did not have any luck. I also looked for a fuse for the GPS antenna to test this theory, but was not able to find one.

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
If you can find the Honda developer menu you can turn off the driver distraction settings to make videos viewable while in motion. Honda has their own developer menu so it's not to be confused with androids developer menu. In other Hondas it's access thru the dianostic menu with a button or combination of buttons.

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you can find the Honda developer menu you can turn off the driver distraction settings to make videos viewable while in motion. Honda has their own developer menu so it's not to be confused with androids developer menu. In other Hondas it's access thru the dianostic menu with a button or combination of buttons.
Once inside of the android dev menu, any idea what this button combo may be?

igacek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
It's a different Dev menu I believe. On the home screen you have to hold the Brightness button at the top, Power, and Home I believe for a few seconds, and you'll see a new menu appear.

I am lost on how to access the "For Developers" menu at this point though. Any insight?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
On android you get to the developer's menu by tapping on the build number about 10 times in "about phone/tablet." I tried this on my head unit, and I even got the "you're almost there" notice that if I keep tapping, I would be a developer, but once I did, the actual developer menu did not show up. I don't believe anyone has gotten the android developer menu to show up on this infotainment screen. Several of the standard android menus/options are hidden/locked away on the device.

igacek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
On android you get to the developer's menu by tapping on the build number about 10 times in "about phone/tablet." I tried this on my head unit, and I even got the "you're almost there" notice that if I keep tapping, I would be a developer, but once I did, the actual developer menu did not show up. I don't believe anyone has gotten the android developer menu to show up on this infotainment screen. Several of the standard android menus/options are hidden/locked away on the device.
This is not the dev menu we're talking about. I think it looks like this:

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is not the dev menu we're talking about. I think it looks like this:
You get to this menu by pressing the Brightness, Power, and Menu buttons on the Civic. I have been in this menu and haven't found anything about disabling safety features or anything. I have tried to get in the Android menu also by tapping the "about tablet" 10 times, but it prompts for a password and does not have an on screen keyboard to allow typing, nor does it register a USB keyboard. I think there must be a 3rd menu somewhere that is managed by Honda, not Android.

igacek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
You get to this menu by pressing the Brightness, Power, and Menu buttons on the Civic. I have been in this menu and haven't found anything about disabling safety features or anything. I have tried to get in the Android menu also by tapping the "about tablet" 10 times, but it prompts for a password and does not have an on screen keyboard to allow typing, nor does it register a USB keyboard. I think there must be a 3rd menu somewhere that is managed by Honda, not Android.
Haha yes... I know... see my previous post. I was able to find this screen without issue **BUT** I can't seem to get to the "For Developers" area by holding the "Menu" button like that person does in the video so we can disable the distracted driving feature. I am asking if anyone knows the method to access "For Developers" section through the Honda Diagnostics page as shown in that video. I believe it's 100% different than pressing the build number in Android's settings page.

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haha yes... I know... see my previous post. I was able to find this screen without issue **BUT** I can't seem to get to the "For Developers" area by holding the "Menu" button like that person does in the video so we can disable the distracted driving feature. I am asking if anyone knows the method to access "For Developers" section through the Honda Diagnostics page as shown in that video. I believe it's 100% different than pressing the build number in Android's settings page.
I agree. Any ideas, anyone?

PlanBX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2016 Sedan, Honda Civic 2011 SE Coupe
Country flag
But, what type of video file can be played via a USB flash drive ?
.avi ?
.mp4?
other?

How can you do it?

I dont mind if it works just when the car is parked. But i'd like to watch something when waiting in my car...

Thank's !!!

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
But, what type of video file can be played via a USB flash drive ?
.avi ?
.mp4?
other?

How can you do it?

I dont mind if it works just when the car is parked. But i'd like to watch something when waiting in my car...

Thank's !!!
MP4. If you start driving the video will cut out but audio will continue to play.

PlanBX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2016 Sedan, Honda Civic 2011 SE Coupe
Country flag
It worked with the Gallery app!
I was trying to play it in the Audio menu at first...

Quality looks great ! I will use this feature for sure !

Thank's!

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
my guess is GPS motion related or gyro related. I tried finding a place to disable the GPS antenna in the developers menu, but did not have any luck. I also looked for a fuse for the GPS antenna to test this theory, but was not able to find one.
The GPS antenna won't have a fuse because it's not powered. It's just a passive receiver. You could try disconnecting the GPS antenna from the headunit:

Honda Civic 10th gen Watch video while driving Untitled

But my guess would be it's not using the GPS signal but rather the vehicle speed signal. On the right-most 24-pin connector on the back of the head unit, wire 22 (gray) is "VSP - Inputs vehicle speed pulse". If you can pull that pin out, the head unit shouldn't be able to tell how fast the car is going anymore. But, the programmers were probably smart enough to write their code so that if it doesn't see any signal for that, it assumes the car is moving and shuts off the video rather than defaulting to always allowing the video. Worth a try though.

Though as someone who's driven a friend's car that had an aftermarket TV mounted in the center dash, let me tell you, it is REALLY hard to keep your eyes off of the video while you're driving, even when it's a show you've seen before. It's a really bad distraction.
Sponsored