Walk away auto lock kinda useless

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if it is smart enough (one would hope) to calibrate the proximity with time as you enter/exit the car. Mine is also not doing the "multi-beep/no lock" thing as much lately. It still does periodically, but not as often as a couple of months ago. The battery weakening theory could be the case as well.

I've had mine since Dec '15 and have about 1600 miles on it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Negative3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Does the lock-button on the handle work if the key fob has walked away?
Thats a good point... its hard to imagine any situation where the last person out can't just hit the lock button on the inside of the door after they openit/before they get out and shut the door... Thats what Ive been doing and so that combined with the proximity features when entering the car mean the key fob never has to leave my pocket...

AngiRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Civic HB, 2016 Civic Sedan
Does anybody know how to engage or disengage this feature on an LX? I did not think that the 2016 LX had walk away auto lock, but sometimes I find my car locked when I didn't lock the doors. I'm really nervous about finding my car randomly locked since I have a baby & I'm not convinced that it won't lock with me beside the car with keys and baby inside.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anybody know how to engage or disengage this feature on an LX? I did not think that the 2016 LX had walk away auto lock, but sometimes I find my car locked when I didn't lock the doors. I'm really nervous about finding my car randomly locked since I have a baby & I'm not convinced that it won't lock with me beside the car with keys and baby inside.
Since you don't have a smart key, you don't have the walk-away auto lock. Not sure how it would randomly lock itself.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Everybody has different needs. It's been working perfectly for me, and I'm never left wondering "did I lock the car?".

AngiRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Civic HB, 2016 Civic Sedan
Since you don't have a smart key, you don't have the walk-away auto lock. Not sure how it would randomly lock itself.
If the LX lacks autolock, this is even more troubling. Can Honda take this feedback that consumers want the same rigorous human factors engineering studies applied to the locking features that they applied to the console, instrument panel, and entertainment system? The locks should never baffle anyone who is intelligent enough to pass a driving test.

papashack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic 2005 civic.
Country flag
Same thing happened to me. I walked away from the car while my wife was inside. When she went to get out the alarm sounded. I have also had issues when I get out and am standing close to the car it will give 3 quick beeps. Not sure what that is about.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
It works great for me but there is the occasional time that it doesn't work. I LOVE having it, especially if I have packages.

Marathon Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Sedan, 2017 Honda Civic LX Hatchback
It works great for me but there is the occasional time that it doesn't work. I LOVE having it, especially if I have packages.
Ditto. Very handy when you have to carry bags AND a sleeping child out of the back seat.

frankd53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
I wonder if it is smart enough (one would hope) to calibrate the proximity with time as you enter/exit the car. Mine is also not doing the "multi-beep/no lock" thing as much lately. It still does periodically, but not as often as a couple of months ago. The battery weakening theory could be the case as well.

I've had mine since Dec '15 and have about 1600 miles on it.
Have had my Touring Sedan a few weeks, and I had the 'multiple beep' thing when walking away a few times.
I have the feeling it is caused by walking away too quickly. Before you run, you need to get the first single beep, which confirms all doors closed, ignition / accessories off, etc. Since I have been more patient, I have not had a recurrence of the multiple beeps (which indicates that the car did NOT lock)

accordingtocivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had auto-lock enabled since about a week or so after I got my Touring. There aren't too many situations where I'm driving other people around, and the few times I have, auto-lock didn't give too much trouble. One time, however (last Sunday, actually), as I was getting gas, my car's alarm went off with my family in the car and I just had to open the door to stop it. That's really the only time I know of it going haywire on me, otherwise it's been a great feature to eliminate much use of the key fob.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Works fine on my hatch. I wish we had the trunk kick feature (where you kick under the rear bumper and the trunk pops open).

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Have had my Touring Sedan a few weeks, and I had the 'multiple beep' thing when walking away a few times.
I have the feeling it is caused by walking away too quickly. Before you run, you need to get the first single beep, which confirms all doors closed, ignition / accessories off, etc. Since I have been more patient, I have not had a recurrence of the multiple beeps (which indicates that the car did NOT lock)
Not in my case. I've played the 'patience card', but I still get the rapid beeping every now and then. Maybe once a week. The weak keyfob battery theory isn't bad, except it's been happening to me since day one. I'd summarize it as either bad product or bad coding.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not in my case. I've played the 'patience card', but I still get the rapid beeping every now and then. Maybe once a week. The weak keyfob battery theory isn't bad, except it's been happening to me since day one. I'd summarize it as either bad product or bad coding.
My experience has been the same. And it doesn't seem to matter how fast I walk away from the car. Sometimes I'll stand right next to the door (literally within a foot) and it'll rapid-beep. Other times I can powerwalk away and it locks correctly. Minor, but frustrating.
Sponsored