Walk away auto lock kinda useless

Negative3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Decided to turn off the walk away auto lock recently. Worked okay but it seemed it wasnt always the most reliable either.

The tippin point was its no good if you have passengers that may not always get out if the car when you do for any number of reasons.

On two occasions I walked away from my car with the fob in pocket and a passenger still waiting in the car and it locked them in. The second time, the alarm sounded when they were ready to get out lol. They were in the front seat - youd think the seat sensor that tells the car whether or not to enable the passenger air bag could have clued the car in that someone is still sitting there lol!

Guess I'll just lock manually with the door button or fob. No big deal - the rest of the proximity key functions are amazing and I can't see going without them ever again!
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
There should be a setting within to set the car to auto lock after a set amount of time. It kept locking it while I was refueling... rather funny I guess, but it seems useful for the 10% of the time the walk away lock didn't work. I haven't experienced the locking the passenger in the car thing, and my girlfriend takes foreeeever.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
My wife and kids are no speed demons getting out of the car, either, lol! I don't understand what takes them so long! :) Luckily, I don't have the walk away auto lock anyway, because I park in my garage and I like to be able to get into my car to put things in or out, even if I don't have my keys with me.

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
The main convenience of the auto lock feature is that you don't have to take the key out of your pocket to lock it. In your case, turning it off makes the most sense. Then your passenger leaving the car can press the lock-button on the handle when they leave.

Rook3300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (no more)
The main convenience of the auto lock feature is that you don't have to take the key out of your pocket to lock it.
Really it's so that you don't have to use your hands to lock the doors. You can touch the button on the door handle to lock the doors even with your keys in your pocket. I really like the fact that after I lock my door, I never have to take my keys out of my pocket until I get back home and unlock the door again.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic Touring
Country flag
I love it. I'm the sole driver and the wife a passenger at times, like when we go out shopping or to eat. She always has the second fob with her. Never a missed lock that I'm aware of, but of course this could change when the grand babies get involved...

newf4350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wop touring(civic)
I love it. I'm the sole driver and the wife a passenger at times, like when we go out shopping or to eat. She always has the second fob with her. Never a missed lock that I'm aware of, but of course this could change when the grand babies get involved...
Agree....love the walk away feature

OP
OP

Negative3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
It's one of my favorite features. It has worked perfectly for me since I rarely have passengers.
Alright alright, maybe useless was a harsh word to use.

Just doesn't fit my requirements then. I am thankful the setting (like nany others) can be disabled. I suppose its rather ingenious that there are so many ways to customize the tech on this car to fit a variety of scenarios.

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright alright, maybe useless was a harsh word to use.

Just doesn't fit my requirements then. I am thankful the setting (like nany others) can be disabled. I suppose its rather ingenious that there are so many ways to customize the tech on this car to fit a variety of scenarios.
Useless for some, you're allowed to feel that way. :) In your case, having it off is best. I too sometimes have passengers and while it has not yet locked my daughter or wife in, I do find that at times it does not lock even when it's just me (nobody else in or exiting the car), just beeps repeatedly as if it thinks I left the keys in the car and I then end up having to manually lock it. Walk Away Lock is definitely not a perfect feature, but I still find it handy for the most part. Honda Civic 10th gen Walk away auto lock kinda useless 3-14-2016 11-15-15 AM

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
I never use this feature and Dont even know if I have it on my 9th gen. ( i believe i do) if not though I still wouldn't walk away from my car without locking it.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I never use this feature and Dont even know if I have it on my 9th gen. ( i believe i do) if not though I still wouldn't walk away from my car without locking it.
Walk away lock was new to Civic in the 10th gen.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
I'm not sure why, but after some initial difficulty with it not locking (and sounding multiple beeps), it's been really stable for me lately, pretty much locking 100% of the time. I do listen for the second beep and lock click just to make sure. The other day I had to carry a big plant out of the car with both hands and didn't have a hand free for the keys to lock it, and the walk-away locking was a brilliant feature.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
I'm not sure why, but after some initial difficulty with it not locking (and sounding multiple beeps), it's been really stable for me lately, pretty much locking 100% of the time. I do listen for the second beep and lock click just to make sure. The other day I had to carry a big plant out of the car with both hands and didn't have a hand free for the keys to lock it, and the walk-away locking was a brilliant feature.
How long have you had the car? Is it possible the key battery has weakened just enough that the signal strength is a bit lower, such that it's now less likely to fool the car into thinking the key is still inside the cabin?

In my case that's definitely what causes the multiple beeps... I'm outside the car but standing right next to it, and the car thinks the key is still inside.
Sponsored