Waiting List for 2017 Civic Type R

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
2K a year? Wow that would be incredibly low. I haven't seen any published numbers for the Si or Type R take rate. @HondaGeek would you happen to know what the breakdown has been historically?

I've always been curious how many Si's are sold in the U.S. each year and Type R's overseas.
I think Hondageek will be right in that 2000 or less Type R's still be sold a year. It won't be a cheap car, is a hardcore car, likely to be hatchback only, and likely to be manual only. These are all reasons it'll be a very niche car IMO.

Nothing wrong with this though. I actually think it's good if it sells in low numbers. It's a halo model and the low numbers will keep it exclusive and maintain its mystique.
Sponsored

alphaghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Is300-daily 1993 prelude vtec-my baby
Not sure about the Si, since Honda reports Civic sales as one number, which includes all the different trims. That being said, why I say no more than 2,000 Type Rs a year has to do with previous sales of the Integra Type R and Mugen Si. Let's take a look:

Integra Type R Sales
1997 = 318
1998 = 1023
2000 = 1347
2001 = 1157

Mugen Si
2008 = 1000

The reality is this, while many Honda fans would love to own a Type R, the majority (not all) fall into two camps. Camp A: cannot afford a $30k + vehicle. Camp B: will not spend $30k + on a Civic when you are a close to entry luxury cars.

I had a Mugen Si and while demand was high for the first 4-6 months, due to limited production and availability, I know some dealers outside of major cities who had their sole Mugen Si well into late 2009. Unless you are a diehard Honda fan with the means, a $30k Civic is a hard sale in America, where you have Mustangs, Camaros, etc, as options. Even Japan is only getting 750 of the current Type R, in a country where the medium income per household is much higher than America.

It's an educated guess, but I feel that year two will yield a 2,000 max production, with it slowly scaling down from there.

The problem with the Magen si was it was primarily cosmetic enhancements instead of actual added performance. Had it come with supercharger to coincide with suspension, they would've sold out quickly. The evo and sti base models were basically the same price as well. I hope Honda learned their lesson on that one.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I wish there was a common list we could use. Not sure how much it matters, but I'm on at least 15 lists...so if these dealers are all counting their chickens before they hatched, they're going to be disappointed!

jtrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2010 Accord Crosstour, Rallye Red CTR
I wish there was a common list we could use. Not sure how much it matters, but I'm on at least 15 lists...so if these dealers are all counting their chickens before they hatched, they're going to be disappointed!
Well they have our cash so their not that disappointed. We..... the ones who have put our hard earned cash knowing were never getting close to an R, we're the ones who will be disappointed. But until the guy calls me and tells me to come pick up my grand cause they no longer think they'll get another car.... I have hope

SalemTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own: ‘17 PMM CTR, 2013 White Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Talked to a local dealership and the salesman said they have a wait list for the Type R. To get on that list you have to put down a $1k deposit to secure your spot. I'm located in the SF Bay Area.
My dealer wouldn't take a deposit until they knew they were getting one. My sales guy called me ASAP to let me know to come down and make the deposit before anyone else that day. They knew a couple months ago they were getting a black one. I don't know if they took any other deposits since they are suppose to only get one? Probably took one or two more in case I change my mind- not. Another local dealer had a $500 deposit 3 years ago for one!:spaz: They took two more but that was it since they figured they were only getting one also. My sales guy said it makes no sense for a dealer to take a deposit until they know that their getting the car?

SpootyWeasel

First Name
Alma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Del Sol Si
My dealer wouldn't take a deposit until they knew they were getting one. My sales guy called me ASAP to let me know to come down and make the deposit before anyone else that day. They knew a couple months ago they were getting a black one. I don't know if they took any other deposits since they are suppose to only get one? Probably took one or two more in case I change my mind- not. Another local dealer had a $500 deposit 3 years ago for one!:spaz: They took two more but that was it since they figured they were only getting one also. My sales guy said it makes no sense for a dealer to take a deposit until they know that their getting the car?
Mine wouldn't take a deposit until he knew either.

PowerOfDreams2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 CRX Si, 1994 Civic EX Sedan, 2016 HRV EX-L, 1998 Civic Hatch DX, 2017 Civic Type R #593
Country flag
I just talked to the dealership Im going with and they still had no info about color, pricing, quantity, etc. I do have a signed written agreement stating I am #2 on the list and that my $5K deposit would be refundable if something happened. They would only take a 5K deposit to hold the car. When we made the agreement, they told me they would only get 2-3 Type R's for the year. I did have an email from the dealer today that told me I am in Zone 6, and Region 6. So, who knows what that means in terms of when we will see it. BTW I live in NC.

SalemTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just talked to the dealership Im going with and they still had no info about color, pricing, quantity, etc. I do have a signed written agreement stating I am #2 on the list and that my $5K deposit would be refundable if something happened. They would only take a 5K deposit to hold the car. When we made the agreement, they told me they would only get 2-3 Type R's for the year. I did have an email from the dealer today that told me I am in Zone 6, and Region 6. So, who knows what that means in terms of when we will see it. BTW I live in NC.
For MSRP?

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may have the minority opinion but I still think this generation of Type R will be produced in greater numbers and won't be a "limited" production model as Type R's of the past. The market is different now where you have the Golf R (not limited production), WRX STI (not limited production) and Focus RS to compete against. Not to mention they are building for the North American Market for the first time. Afterall, it is still a Civic and is cheap to build. The 1st NSX was costly to build and it came out of a single dedicated factory in Japan. Of course the Type R won't be built in numbers like other trim levels but I think there will be more than enough to go around after the first year when the frenzy cools down. Just don't expect discounts off MSRP.

SalemTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I may have the minority opinion but I still think this generation of Type R will be produced in greater numbers and won't be a "limited" production model as Type R's of the past. The market is different now where you have the Golf R (not limited production), WRX STI (not limited production) and Focus RS to compete against. Not to mention they are building for the North American Market for the first time. Afterall, it is still a Civic and is cheap to build. The 1st NSX was costly to build and it came out of a single dedicated factory in Japan. Of course the Type R won't be built in numbers like other trim levels but I think there will be more than enough to go around after the first year when the frenzy cools down. Just don't expect discounts off MSRP.
Those 10th in line on a waiting list are sure hoping that would be true. I just wish Honda would be up front about that. They have said this year is limited production and when the Honda rep was asked the ? about production numbers he was very cagie, non committal on his response at the NY show. Lets hope they are a little more forth coming for 18MY?

petem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be FK8.
Those 10th in line on a waiting list are sure hoping that would be true. I just wish Honda would be up front about that. They have said this year is limited production and when the Honda rep was asked the ? about production numbers he was very cagie, non committal on his response at the NY show. Lets hope they are a little more forth coming for 18MY?
Maybe that's because they haven't actually decided yet what they're going to do for MY18, they're just waiting to see how sales go with the first batch. After all, it's a new car to the North American market so there's no history to work from, and we haven't even seen it tested yet by car reviewers (and I have a vague feeling that the msrp may not have been announced either, which could make a big difference if they get it wrong). I can't imagine it's going to get many bad reviews, but even if it's reviewed really well that doesn't guarantee huge sales because as others have said, it does have some good competition.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Holy 2 year old bump!

So heres my thoughts as we have progressed from April Fools day when Honda announced the R will be stateside, to current day. Take them for what you will:

-The R may not be produced as heavy as other Honda vehicles, but it has yet to be signaled from Honda that the R will be limited production. The opposite has actually been stated from Honda.

-Price will be everything with this car. Yes, it lapped the ring in a blistering time and yes that is impressive. At the end of the day, there is still a stigma about a Civic that still lingers from the lambo door and wings west 'rice rocket' days of the early 2000's. The difference between pulling into a parking spot in a E9x M3 and a new CTR can make for quite a discussion. Price wise, they are going to be similar.

-At $35k (mid-30's) it borderlines a lot of alternatives. Bump it over $35k and it now plays with cars that knock on the door of $40k. In a 5 or 6 year loan, the difference in cost is likely going to be within $100 between a Civic and $40k alternatives. This isn't about affording the R, this is about what the same money will buy you.

-I expect the demand to be extremely hot in the first few months of launch but still feel that if you want a R, there will be one somewhere for you to buy. It may not be on the lot down the road from where you live, but travel a few hundred miles from anywhere USA and you can source one.

-What type of value will the R hold? In 2 years, will there be CTR's available for $20k? In 10 years, will they be available for $10k? In 20 years, will they begin to increase in value?

-Will theft be an issue with the R? Some may not know but in the days of the ITR, a huge percentage of them were stolen in some capacity or another. My 9th gen Si had 3 attempted thefts in 9 months and I live in a semi-decent neighborhood. My 8th gen has had -0- issues, knock on wood.

Lots of answers will come in the following weeks, even more answers will come in the next couple of years.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
@JYR, if the price is right for you, will you be one of the first buyers? Assuming you can find one for MSRP.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I will own one in due time but to be one of the early buyers, I will be a little hesitant.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I, and perhaps others, are probably responsible for some of the 10-deep lines... as I've mentioned I'm on at least 15+ dealer 'lists' of people to call when they get information etc, and currently hold just 1 deposit, but plan to make 2 more today just to lock it down and take whichever one gets it first. These are all at MSRP btw so nobody can blame me for the ADM!!! :)
Sponsored