VTEC vs. VTC in the 1.5L Turbo engine: GenX

SoSublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There seems to be some confusion, compounded by Honda as well, on whether the 1.5L is VTEC or not.

Short answer: No, it is not VTEC.

Long answer: The 1.5L Turbo engine features dual VTC on both the Intake and Exaust camshaft. This affects Valve timing only. In essence it does what VTEC does in that it is variable valve timing, minus the lift.
In laymans terms, think of lift as how far the valves open. Without VTEC they open only to a certain set height on a smaller lobe, with VTEC engaged the valve is opened by a larger lobe, resulting in a valve that is opened wider for longer.

VTC does change how long the valve stays open affecting valve timing and overlap, with the focus done on scavenging, but it does not affect lift at all. The valves always open to a certain set height due to only one size lobe being present. This helps by increasing turbo response at lower rpms and also lowering combustion chamber temperatures.

So no, even though Honda refers to the engines as "VTEC turbos" they are not because, well, they are not VTEC, they simply use VTC technology based on VTEC technology. Accurately they are simply VTC turbos.

In a real life scenario? You will probably recieve more benefit from the continuous VTC over the situational VTEC due to increased scavenging, lower combustion chamber temperatures, and increased turbo response.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SoSublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There seems to be some confusion, compounded by Honda as well, on whether the 1.5L is VTEC or not.

Long answer: The 1.5L Turbo engine features dual VTC on both the Intake and Exaust camshaft. This affects Valve timing only. In essence it does what VTEC does in that it is variable valve timing, minus the lift.
In laymans terms, think of lift as how far the valves open. Without VTEC they open only to a certain set height on a smaller lobe, with VTEC engaged the valve is opened by a larger lobe, resulting in a valve that is opened wider for longer.

VTC does change how long the valve stays open affecting valve timing and overlap, with the focus done on scavenging, but it does not affect lift at all. The valves always open to a certain set height due to only one size lobe being present. This helps by increasing turbo response at lower rpms and also lowering combustion chamber temperatures.

So no, even though Honda refers to the engines as "VTEC turbos" they are not because, well, they are not VTEC, they simply use VTC technology based on VTEC technology. Accurately they are simply VTC turbos.

In a real life scenario? You will probably recieve more benefit from the continuous VTC over the situational VTEC due to increased scavenging, lower combustion chamber temperatures, and increased turbo response.
One thing I should probably add to this, is that traditional VTEC may not be seen the same as "Turbo VTEC" by Honda. VTECs main gain would be in a NA engine, allowing more air to enter the cylinder during the intake stroke. However, as the engine is turbocharged, the air is already being forced into the cylinder by a turbine, meaning that regardless of the lift, considering VTC handles how long it stays open, under boost, you probably couldnt get more air in the cylinder if you tried unless you put it under even more boost.
So Honda may consider "Turbo VTEC" a new technology which replaces a higher lift with turbo compression to achieve the same goal and and then use VTC for the timing. Its may be VTEC reimagined. So who knows, until further notice, it is not VTEC as we know it, but it may be a new front for the VTEC platform.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0L has dual vtc as well as vtec on the intake cam, correct?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I've always found VTEC to be ever-so-slightly annoying, actually. I prefer a more linear power delivery myself.

roro40p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 TYPE R-11883
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my question is why do international model civics have VTEC on them and is even advertised ? is it a different engine or is it what you are referring in VTC and they say is VTEC ?

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my question is why do international model civics have VTEC on them and is even advertised ? is it a different engine or is it what you are referring in VTC and they say is VTEC ?
They don't, even when it's advertised. It's indeed VTC and not VTEC.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I believe the type r has VTEC on the exhaust cam

roro40p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 TYPE R-11883
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They don't, even when it's advertised. It's indeed VTC and not VTEC.
thats crazy , i was down in Mexico and saw all these cars that said VTEC turbo t the dealer ... and i was like what ????

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Took a picture of my valve cover.

Honda Civic 10th gen VTEC vs. VTC in the 1.5L Turbo engine: GenX TQeLyZV

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
VTEC is old tech though. I would rather they keep innovating and making the variable timing better with more power/mpg. Used to be you got 7 more hp out of a 2.0l NA motor on the Si than the Sport's 190hp 1.5l. Even the 2.4l only had 201 hp and both got worse gas mileage. What does it really matter as most people really have no idea what VTEC actually does?

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
True

False, VTEC is VTEC, VTC was added to i-VTEC motors, they perform completely different functions

True

Somewhat true, VTC doesn't change the duration (how long the valves stay open) of the cams, just adjusts the LSA (overlap) which improves the efficiency of the motor over a broad rpm range.

Yes, varying the overlap improves turbo response.

True

I've always found VTEC to be ever-so-slightly annoying, actually. I prefer a more linear power delivery myself.
Properly tuned VTEC motors don't have "cross-over", which makes the power much more linear.

I believe the type r has VTEC on the exhaust cam
True
Sponsored