VTEC Academy has their hands on the new Si Engine (L15B7)!

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
I'm mainly interested in the new Civic Type R, but with the dry spell of info we've all had I figured this would be something of interest.

http://vtec.academy/project-81-civic-part-4-j-series-l15b7/

I've already reached out to them to verify that it's an Si engine and not a sport or anything like that. They have confirmed with me that IT IS in fact a true Si engine. Leads me to belive that we'really really close to see a reveal for the Si.

I also asked about power, and got the generic embargo response of "we've asked them what we are allowed to say, and we're just waiting for a response." So I'll keep everyone posted!

Part 4 of the our Project 81 Civic series is finally out and it’s a doozy. We’re still searching for the ultimate engine swap for this car. This time the crew tries to stuff a J32 from a CL Type S into the front end of the tiny Civic. But wait, there’s more! Next we try an L15 turbo motor straight out of a brand new 2017 Civic Si. Seeing if they fit or more importantly, what needs to be done to help them to fit in this second generation Civic bring us one step closer to answering the question of “Que series?”
Sponsored

OP
OP
jdmk20akid

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ok. How the hell would they have the Si motor?
VTEC Academy is mainlying done by Brian Gillespie. I'm pretty sure he's an owner of Hasport. So he definitely has a lot of hook ups through Honda and Honda Factory Performance (HFP).

I don't think it would be hard for him to get his hands on one at all, especially with the people he knows.

OP
OP
jdmk20akid

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interested to hear his response then. thanks
I won't expect much of a response in terms of them releasing specs. It's just good to know that they're already assembling and stocking these motors and transmissions. Makes me wonder if there has actually been a delay or not.

stak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
The engine they have is the L15B7. That's the tenth gen turbo engine that we all have in our car. If the SI has a different turbo, or different parts, or different anything really, wouldn't they give it a different engine designation? I mean even something small like L15B8? Or maybe the SI is really just coming with the exact same engine but a better tune?

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Im mainly interested in the new Civic Type R, but with the dry spell of info we've all had I figured this would be something of interest.

http://vtec.academy/project-81-civic-part-4-j-series-l15b7/

I've already reached out to them to verify that it's an Si engine and not a sport or anything like that. They have confirmed with me that IT IS in fact a true Si engine. Leads me to belive that we'really really close to see a reveal for the Si.

I also asked about power, and got the generic embargo response of "we've asked them what we are allowed to say, and we're just waiting for a response." So I'll keep everyone posted!
That's not an Si engine.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
The engine they have is the L15B7. That's the tenth gen turbo engine that we all have in our car. If the SI has a different turbo, or different parts, or different anything really, wouldn't they give it a different engine designation? I mean even something small like L15B8? Or maybe the SI is really just coming with the exact same engine but a better tune?
Supposed to use the CRV turbo

https://www.facebook.com/PrlMotorsp...971136265433/1560915133937686/?type=3&theater

stak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
:imnew:

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
A larger turbo will only increase the turbo lag of the car. Unless the SI is shooting for over 220 hp, a larger turbo won't be necessary.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Oh cool, we've had a Honda rep on the forum for a couple of weeks and we didn't even know!
Honda hasn't event provided specs on the engine, or made any official production announcements about the Si.

If they just gave some company an Si engine to put in some project car, who then goes an posts it on the internet..infact YouTube for all to see, then they have some serious internal product confidentiality and privacy issue's.

Last edited: