1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →

Featured VTEC Academy has their hands on the new Si Engine (L15B7)!

Discussion in 'Civic Si Forum (10th Gen)' started by jdmk20akid, Feb 8, 2017.

1. jdmk20akid

jdmk20akid Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
    I'm pretty positive that the L15b7 engine is specific to the Civic 1.5t sedans. I want to say that the engine code in the hatchbacks, and coupe are different (but is still the same 1.5t). The CRV is an L15b2 I think. I double check on all of this when I have a chance and take pics. So it could very well be that this engine came from a soon to be Civic Si sedan.

2. CIVICSPORT Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    None
    Good job Honda! I also talked to brian and he tells me it is an Si engine.

Why do we have consumers waiting on a delayed product, with no specs or details available.. Yet Honda is providing a 2017 Si engine for a youtube project car?

3. Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3
    Pretty sure that's a preproduction engine and not the final variant from the Si. Honda almost certainly did their R&D based off the US Spec 1.5 before locking down final specs. And since in-lab testing is largely complete, the motor(s) have been handed off (or lended) to third parties like what we are seeing here.

My thoughts... It should remain an L15B series engine but will likely have a unique designation due small tweaks in displacement/compression (~2cc). In addition to the CRV, I believe the Hatch Sport also has a unique engine code. It was discussed on TOV but can't find the thread.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    STiTCH87 thanked this.
  4. CivicChina

CivicChina Senior Member

Designer
    Car(s):
    Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
    Garage Profiles:
    My engine is a L15B8, 1498cc on a sedan 6 speed, we know for sure B8 will not be on the SI;)

5. HondaPro

HondaPro Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Sales
    Car(s):
    2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
    Garage Profiles:
    I agree..

6. 17siturb0 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2006 civic si coupe
    It's not the Si motor. Stop posting these bs threads with mis leading titles. People need to stop assuming things about the Si. Wait until it actually comes out. Most people saying anything about the Si claiming they know power figures or have the engine and are testing it. It's all BS. Click bait or just a waste of time.

Zavage thanked this.
  7. Evo

Evo Senior Member

Car(s):
    Lancer Evolution
    Just like the stupid ads the bottom of this page

Wraith, 17siturb0 and Boomba Racing thanked this.
  8. Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing Civic X Vendor

Featured Threads:
    Home Page:
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Sport
    Lol at videos like that. They're definitely doing it for the views. Honda hasn't announced ANYTHING official specs about the engine. What makes anyone think that these guys with a YouTube channel could get an engine for a car that isn't even in production yet?

Billy4202 and 17siturb0 thanked this.
  9. STiTCH87

STiTCH87 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic LX Sedan
    Wrong. It IS an Si engine. It just is not the official production engine. A prototype Si engine, is still an Si engine... SMH.

This isn't just some teenager with a Google account... He has a seriosu foot in the door with Honda. Do some research before dismissing what you read.

Ads are usually automatic, and often based on your internet searches and views. Can't blame CivicX for that. Not to mention this engine is indeed an Si engine. Yes it is a L15B7, but who ever said it was stock? It is tuned and tweaked as a prototype that they based the Si engine off of. What do you think they would start fresh from the ground up on the Si engine? Obviously not. They take a regular one and performance tune it, then give it a new badge. This doesn't have that badge because it is an R&D engine from pre-production. Also why this guy was able to obtain it while the production engine is delayed.

How come nobody can critically think now a days? Everyone just wants to complain on point fingers and feel like they're right without looking into researching anything before they comment.

jpmelfi and BigBang09 thanked this.
  10. Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3
    To be fair, the title and description are a tad misleading. They should have called it a pre-production Si motor from the get-go, IMHO. Would have helped eliminate a lot of the back-and-forth we're seeing now.

17siturb0 thanked this.
  11. 17siturb0 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2006 civic si coupe
    When the Si is officially out, they will not label the engine as a L15B7. It will be a different code. There will be different aspects to the engine as well, that will make it much different from the regular 1.5t civics. Don't see why they would break tradition even with the type r now on the slates here in North America.

Zavage thanked this.
  12. maaaaackle

maaaaackle Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda Civic Hatchback
    My sport hatchback has the L15B7 engine though...so how can this be an Si engine?

Zavage thanked this.
  13. PRO Civic

PRO Civic Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Home Page:
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Sedan 1.5T Manual, 2014 Civic Si Sedan, Others
    This is awesome, I hope they can get it to run!

Like everyone else, I'm confused as to whether this is actually a real Si engine or not. I'm almost certain it would have a different engine code, but maybe they are just calling it the L15B7 since the Si engine code is not known or stamped on the block yet?

14. JYR Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    8th gen Si
    The ads at the bottom....I can 100% assure you that I have never looked at the things that the ad's want me to look at. In fact, they are so borderline not-work-safe that I installed a separate browser and use an ad block just to continue to use this site.

'33 stars who died in 2016'
    'shocking medical conditions doctors didn't want you to know about'
    '15 celebs who suffer from severe illness'
    'you wont stop looking at these amazing photos'
    'modern aircraft quiz'
    'the ultimate presidents quiz'

Does anyone really click this stuff?

15. tacthecat Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    '12 Civic Si Sedan, '98 Civic EX Coupe
    This thread is almost as entertaining as "ive-upgraded-to-5-30-oil" Double-WOW!

ruddyrid thanked this.