VTEC Academy has their hands on the new Si Engine (L15B7)!

OP
OP
jdmk20akid

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
The engine they have is the L15B7. That's the tenth gen turbo engine that we all have in our car. If the SI has a different turbo, or different parts, or different anything really, wouldn't they give it a different engine designation? I mean even something small like L15B8? Or maybe the SI is really just coming with the exact same engine but a better tune?
I'm pretty positive that the L15b7 engine is specific to the Civic 1.5t sedans. I want to say that the engine code in the hatchbacks, and coupe are different (but is still the same 1.5t). The CRV is an L15b2 I think. I double check on all of this when I have a chance and take pics. So it could very well be that this engine came from a soon to be Civic Si sedan.
Sponsored

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Good job Honda! I also talked to brian and he tells me it is an Si engine.

Why do we have consumers waiting on a delayed product, with no specs or details available.. Yet Honda is providing a 2017 Si engine for a youtube project car?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Pretty sure that's a preproduction engine and not the final variant from the Si. Honda almost certainly did their R&D based off the US Spec 1.5 before locking down final specs. And since in-lab testing is largely complete, the motor(s) have been handed off (or lended) to third parties like what we are seeing here.

My thoughts... It should remain an L15B series engine but will likely have a unique designation due small tweaks in displacement/compression (~2cc). In addition to the CRV, I believe the Hatch Sport also has a unique engine code. It was discussed on TOV but can't find the thread.

Last edited:

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My engine is a L15B8, 1498cc on a sedan 6 speed, we know for sure B8 will not be on the SI;)

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
It's not the Si motor. Stop posting these bs threads with mis leading titles. People need to stop assuming things about the Si. Wait until it actually comes out. Most people saying anything about the Si claiming they know power figures or have the engine and are testing it. It's all BS. Click bait or just a waste of time.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
It's not the Si motor. Stop posting these bs threads with mis leading titles. People need to stop assuming things about the Si. Wait until it actually comes out. Most people saying anything about the Si claiming they know power figures or have the engine and are testing it. It's all BS. Click bait or just a waste of time.
Just like the stupid ads the bottom of this page

Boomba Racing

Civic X Vendor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport, 2018 Civic Type-R, 2010 Civic SI, 2015 Civic SI,
Country flag
Lol at videos like that. They're definitely doing it for the views. Honda hasn't announced ANYTHING official specs about the engine. What makes anyone think that these guys with a YouTube channel could get an engine for a car that isn't even in production yet?

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
Wrong. It IS an Si engine. It just is not the official production engine. A prototype Si engine, is still an Si engine... SMH.

Lol at videos like that. They're definitely doing it for the views. Honda hasn't announced ANYTHING official specs about the engine. What makes anyone think that these guys with a YouTube channel could get an engine for a car that isn't even in production yet?
This isn't just some teenager with a Google account... He has a seriosu foot in the door with Honda. Do some research before dismissing what you read.

Just like the stupid ads the bottom of this page
Ads are usually automatic, and often based on your internet searches and views. Can't blame CivicX for that. Not to mention this engine is indeed an Si engine. Yes it is a L15B7, but who ever said it was stock? It is tuned and tweaked as a prototype that they based the Si engine off of. What do you think they would start fresh from the ground up on the Si engine? Obviously not. They take a regular one and performance tune it, then give it a new badge. This doesn't have that badge because it is an R&D engine from pre-production. Also why this guy was able to obtain it while the production engine is delayed.

How come nobody can critically think now a days? Everyone just wants to complain on point fingers and feel like they're right without looking into researching anything before they comment.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
To be fair, the title and description are a tad misleading. They should have called it a pre-production Si motor from the get-go, IMHO. Would have helped eliminate a lot of the back-and-forth we're seeing now.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
When the Si is officially out, they will not label the engine as a L15B7. It will be a different code. There will be different aspects to the engine as well, that will make it much different from the regular 1.5t civics. Don't see why they would break tradition even with the type r now on the slates here in North America.

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
My sport hatchback has the L15B7 engine though...so how can this be an Si engine?

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
This is awesome, I hope they can get it to run!

Like everyone else, I'm confused as to whether this is actually a real Si engine or not. I'm almost certain it would have a different engine code, but maybe they are just calling it the L15B7 since the Si engine code is not known or stamped on the block yet?

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Ads are usually automatic, and often based on your internet searches and views. Can't blame CivicX for that.
The ads at the bottom....I can 100% assure you that I have never looked at the things that the ad's want me to look at. In fact, they are so borderline not-work-safe that I installed a separate browser and use an ad block just to continue to use this site.

'33 stars who died in 2016'
'shocking medical conditions doctors didn't want you to know about'
'15 celebs who suffer from severe illness'
'you wont stop looking at these amazing photos'
'modern aircraft quiz'
'the ultimate presidents quiz'

Does anyone really click this stuff?