vs 2017 Elantra

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I looked pretty hard at the Elantra. It is nice. Don't see it mentioned in the above article but in Canada the upper models also have a heated steering wheel. Very happy with my Civic. Would do it all over again.

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Comparing a fully loaded Civic with a fully loaded Elantra:

Civic Touring: $26,500 MSRP + $835 destination
Elantra Limited w/ Ultimate Tech Package: $26,750 MSRP + $835 destination

Some features I noticed that the Civic doesn't have...

6-speed automatic transmission
Sunglasses holder
Hands-free smart trunk
Blind spot & rear cross traffic detection
Power lumbar support
"Dynamic bending" headlights
Memory for power seats & mirrors

Of course, the Civic has a few exclusives of its own, such as the turbo engine, factory remote start, Lanewatch, electric parking brake, brake hold, power passenger seat, rain sensing wipers, and it looks better (subjective). I think Hyundai has a nice competitor here but I am happy with my Civic. :)

Threemaples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2011 Hyundai Sante Fe
Before my Civic I had a 2012 Elantra. Loved the fluid styling inside and out. Gave it to my mom, who needed a reliable car and bought the new Civic. I might've waited for the new Elantra if they hadn't ditched the aggressive fluid staying for the new conservative look of their entire line, incl Sonata. I think it's ugly and uneven, but maybe it will result in better domestic sales in S. Korea....apparently fluid design was too aggressive for that market and they retreated to this design. Too bad...they sold a ton of these cars in Canada. Onwards with the Civic!

R

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Also consider gas mileage and hp, the Elantra has an eco model that gets the same gas mileage as the civic but it only has 128 horsepower...

OP
OP

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Before my Civic I had a 2012 Elantra. Loved the fluid styling inside and out. Gave it to my mom, who needed a reliable car and bought the new Civic. I might've waited for the new Elantra if they hadn't ditched the aggressive fluid staying for the new conservative look of their entire line, incl Sonata. I think it's ugly and uneven, but maybe it will result in better domestic sales in S. Korea....apparently fluid design was too aggressive for that market and they retreated to this design. Too bad...they sold a ton of these cars in Canada. Onwards with the Civic!

R
This. Granted this announced model does look a tad less boring than
Comparing a fully loaded Civic with a fully loaded Elantra:

Civic Touring: $26,500 MSRP + $835 destination
Elantra Limited w/ Ultimate Tech Package: $26,750 MSRP + $835 destination

Some features I noticed that the Civic doesn't have...

6-speed automatic transmission
Sunglasses holder
Hands-free smart trunk
Blind spot & rear cross traffic detection
Power lumbar support
"Dynamic bending" headlights
Memory for power seats & mirrors

Of course, the Civic has a few exclusives of its own, such as the turbo engine, factory remote start, Lanewatch, electric parking brake, brake hold, power passenger seat, rain sensing wipers, and it looks better (subjective). I think Hyundai has a nice competitor here but I am happy with my Civic. :)
You have read way down on the announcement but they will have a turbo engine in the spring.

OP
OP

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag

R
Yeah their choice to ditch the styling is what moved me over to the Civic.
This doesn't look as bland as what had leaked but it's still reverted back to "a car"
No one will ever notice it on the road.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/models/elantra/2017/documentfile

So the styling is pretty conservative but the features list and pricing are looking very very close to the Civic. Plus a few tricks the Civic doesn't offer, like Homelink and BlueLink.

Wondering if I should have waited.
After having 2 lemon law cases with Hyundai in one year, and one of them was an Elantra GT, never ever will I buy a Hyundai again!
The company who handles the lemon law cases told me Hyundai was around #4 for the number of Lemon law cases she did. And Honda was dead last for the number of buy backs she handled.
Hence why I'm a Honda owner now. :headbang:

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag

Threemaples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2011 Hyundai Sante Fe
After having 2 lemon law cases with Hyundai in one year, and one of them was an Elantra GT, never ever will I buy a Hyundai again!
The company who handles the lemon law cases told me Hyundai was around #4 for the number of Lemon law cases she did. And Honda was dead last for the number of buy backs she handled.
Hence why I'm a Honda owner now. :headbang:
Yikes...Sorry for your misfortune...hard luck...but quality concerns would not hold me back from buying another Hyundai today..given there is little real gap there today...just old prejudices...same ones Honda had to deal with in the 1980s.

http://fortune.com/2015/06/18/korean-japanese-cars/

Bought the Civic for the styling.

R

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase

haztorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MSM EX-T
Nice, but looks more like the small-car proportions a Corolla has. Meh.

I like the low, wide look of our Civics vs. everything else in the class by a large degree. No matter how swoopy and LED-i-fied they all get. They have no real look of presence on the road.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Looks more like a Buick or short Ford Fusion. It doesn't look bad, but its definitely not looking sporty. Looks like the Civic copycats are going in a different direction. The Civic will stand out with the cool tail lights and lower stance

UncleDomino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (Aegean Blue)
I test drove a 2017 Elantra Limited and a 2016 Civic EX-T back to back today. The Elantra had nice blind spot monitoring and a leather interior. Somehow, I prefer the Civic's cloth interior. The Civic's steering wheel actually feels better to me than the Elantra's leather one. The Elantra had numb steering, but adequate acceleration and a quieter & more comfortable ride than the Civic. The Civic had MUCH better steering and picked up speed much more easily. The Civic has a nice spot for your phone to sit whereas the Elantra couldn't fit my iPhone 6S Plus in its tray. I had to shut the little tray door against the cable and put my phone on top of it.

As odd as it sounds, one of the Civic's killer features is its center arm rest. It's high up, slides, and holds a ton of stuff. It was actually a big factor in me deciding I want to buy a Civic when they get a Rallye Red model in.
Sponsored