Volkswagen Has Teased The Golf R Performance Pack That Will Take The Fight To The New Civic Type R

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I just sold my 16' Golf R.

While it's very quick and fun to drive in a straight line(had it APR tuned) it just wasn't nearly as engaging as a Focus ST, STi or even a Fiesta ST. This might be because I had a DSG.

Also be warned if you get a stage 1 tune like 700 hundred dollars. you will also need to need to get a DSG tune for another 700 otherwise you will get clutch slippage when you go WOT from a standstill.

Other than that interior of the car was very nice and refined. I also liked how the car was a sleeper, it basically looked just like the base Golf.

I do miss the AWD with winter tires setup tho.
I test drove a Fiesta ST, it feels like your hands are touching the road. VWs and BMWs haven't had actual road feel in years.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
I just sold my 16' Golf R.

While it's very quick and fun to drive in a straight line(had it APR tuned) it just wasn't nearly as engaging as a Focus ST, STi or even a Fiesta ST. This might be because I had a DSG.

Also be warned if you get a stage 1 tune like 700 hundred dollars. you will also need to need to get a DSG tune for another 700 otherwise you will get clutch slippage when you go WOT from a standstill.

Other than that interior of the car was very nice and refined. I also liked how the car was a sleeper, it basically looked just like the base Golf.

I do miss the AWD with winter tires setup tho.
I have a 2017 Golf R DSG and it's awesome. Love it. It is a very refined car and not raw as the other cars you mentioned however it can be fixed easily with the aftermarket to improve handling sound power and driving pleasure. Also $1400 bucks for ecu tcu tunes isn't that bad..... for what you're getting right. 60whp and 60wtq gains... Golf R is a great car and I can see myself having it for a while.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag

Canndo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda White 4-Door -Turbo 1.5
GTI , Fords. Hard cars to beat. Maybe time for a car AWD Lancer EVO .

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
pretty sure vw went with the ff to chase the fastest hot-hatch time. With modern tires, don't think the weight of 4wd is worth it for a 300hp car. pretty sure the club sport S is faster than the same generation golf R.

in any event, more competition is great for the consumer!

edit: i'm retarded, didn't realize this was thead was necro'd. didn't see the dates.

Last edited:

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
performance R is already out in europe. All new MK8 is coming out next year so bar will be raised again, same with the Focus platform.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
I really don't feel as though the CTR competes with the Golf R, STi, and the RS.

I think they reset the bar for the ST and the GTi (for those hot-hatch vehicles available in the US). It will be interesting to see how the SCCA and NASA classifies it.
New FoST is supposed to be 275hp and 1.5T i4.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
The Golf R styling is conservative on the side of bland but I don't know how anyone could call it ugly as it's got the cleanest lines of any car in the segment. The reality is that it's the Type R that has the polarizing styling that you either love or hate.
Sponsored