"Vent To Atmosphere" Type Blow Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Sadly this has to be said -- as I've already been contacted several times via email.

Do not install VTA ("vent to atmosphere") blow offs on this car. A "tune" cannot and WILL not fix any "too rich" codes or issues when you run this type of blow off.

Why?

Your mass air flow meter is located in the intake before the turbo, before the intercooler, before the blow off. Your engine computer ("ECU") is using this meter to calculate engine fuel requirements -- any air lost (boost leaks, blow off vent) after the meter has "seen" it cannot be compensated for -- the ECU is expecting the motor to see this airflow.

This is why the factory blow off RECIRCULATES the airflow back into the intake tract (but post AFM so it doesn't see it again) and the motor receives the airflow the ECU is expecting and calculating injector flow for.

While the car may not "stall" when you vent the ALREADY METERED aircharge, it is causing a rich condition. YMMV on if/when/how many codes your ECU throws.

The VTA style blow off is a 100% ricer modification and makes delivers you with NO improvements and has serious negative consequences. Yes cool blow off noises are fun -- I don't disagree.
Sponsored

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
So many people saying "I want that F&F blow off sound!" and this is what really happens.
Load an MP3 with turbo noises on your phone and turn up the stereo.

Arlington10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I literally had an 80 comment thread about this on Facebook. And already someone is saying Vit didnt build the engine so how would he know if its bad......people

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I literally had an 80 comment thread about this on Facebook. And already someone is saying Vit didnt build the engine so how would he know if its bad......people
I've built countless engines and turbo setups, how is this car different?

Arlington10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've built countless engines and turbo setups, how is this car different?
I called you the best tuner for Civics in America, he said highly doubful, i tagged you on his comment and he deleted it. Maybe he figured out who you were.... :)

Arlington10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Man I wished I lived by Vits shop, Id stop by everyday to say hi, plus the in person tune would go so much faster ;)

Arlington10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yes, the guy is super nice, not being a butt at all, he thinks you can still tune for a bov

He says "haven't dug into this more bit if car doesn't have a map setup than best solution would be to create a speed density setup with a 4 bar map sensor and install an iat sensor right before the TB. Wire it into harness and tune it. How will u do this. Idk as the Civic x platform is still new to me and I work at an Evo shop now and don't get to mess around with Hondas as much anymore. I'll dig tonight and if I find something I will share here"

OP
OP

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
There is no speed density on the CivicX and not likely to be... for... ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.