Upgraded Honda or Acura ?

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Someone I know is thinking about getting an Acura....is there a significant different between an Acura vs. just an upgraded Honda trim or are you just paying $30,000+ for a different plastic emblem ?

I used to own Toyotas before, but this is my first Honda and I can say you aren't getting much for a Lexus for the price vs. an upgraded Toyota except a smaller bank account.
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Someone I know is thinking about getting an Acura....is there a significant different between an Acura vs. just an upgraded Honda trim or are you just paying $30,000+ for a different plastic emblem ?

I used to own Toyotas before, but this is my first Honda and I can say you aren't getting much for a Lexus for the price vs. an upgraded Toyota except a smaller bank account.
Depends what you value. On the Acura, you'll get trunk arm insulators, materials that carry through into the rear, silver tipped turn signal and wiper stalks. Decent buttons on the steering wheel unlike the fisher price crap, one extra year of comprehensive warranty, Panasonic ELS sound which trumps anything Acura will offer, LED map light assembly with the exception of the Ridgeline Elite and Canadian CR-V Touring. Projector LED headlamps which offer better cutoff and light distribution, body colored slash guards.

It really depends on the model. The ILX is a shit example because its based on the old platform but I personally have no issues with Acuras. I'd love myself a fancy Honda.

Oh yeah I forgot, the turn signal sounds deeper and crisper too. Hard to describe but look up a walkaround video for the differences. Also, Acuras routinely come with better tires from the factory although this distinction has blurred recently. Michelins were standard across the board 2013 and before pretty much so you didn't have to worry about Firestones or some nonsense like that.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I don't see the point in Acura - aka fake luxury. Its a failed brand now because its mostly rebadged and upgraded to be a bit nicer inside. Lexus and Infiniti are bona-fide luxury contenders - they do have RWD sedans and AWD variants of RWD platforms. All Acura has to offer is Civic+, Accord+, CR-V+, Pilot+... and the NSX. The NSX even will not be able to replace the old platform, its a hybrid whatever pseudo-car, a very good high performance one, but just not an enthusiast oriented car unlike the previous NSX. There's also the RLX - which is never mentioned because Acura isn't selling many and no one seems to want to buy that car.

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Are the same engines and components the same for Honda and Acura ? I know there may be some small things here and there that Acura has that's better, but transmission, engine, etc....is it all the same ? Lexus cars literally have "Toyota" labeled glass in them. Toyotas upgraded to the highest trim may not be 100% identical in terms of interior, but powertrain is pretty much identical

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Are the same engines and components the same for Honda and Acura ? I know there may be some small things here and there that Acura has that's better, but transmission, engine, etc....is it all the same ? Lexus cars literally have "Toyota" labeled glass in them. Toyotas upgraded to the highest trim may not be 100% identical in terms of interior, but powertrain is pretty much identical
The engines are. Acuras tend to use nicer transmissions.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Acura is just the "luxury" arm of Honda that originally only existed in North America.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Which model Acura is your friend considering?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In general i think Lexus is far more refined than Toyota, especially considering the dedicated RWD platforms. I woul pay more for mechanical refinement but not just for cosmetic stuff, also considering how nice are the recent Hondas. the gap is always narrower

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
In general i think Lexus is far more refined than Toyota, especially considering the dedicated RWD platforms. I woul pay more for mechanical refinement but not just for cosmetic stuff, also considering how nice are the recent Hondas. the gap is always narrower

I thought lexus and Toyota use the same engines

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He's considering the TLX vs upgraded Accord
The TLX is pretty nice. I don't see them nearly as much as the Accords and with just a cursory glance at the specs, the TLX is what I'd go with. It just ticks off more boxes on my list than the Accord.

Btw, I think the TLX is expected to have a refresh so the deals on current year models should also make it an appealing buy.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
He's considering the TLX vs upgraded Accord
Both cars should be refreshed pretty soon - Accord first then the TLX. I'd venture a guess the 2018 Accord will be announced/out before the end of the year, and the TLX probably sometime in 2018/19. That's the other problem with Acuras, they tend to fall a bit behind sometime in their product cycle, eg. ILX is old, Civic has been totally redesigned for more than a year.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Both cars should be refreshed pretty soon - Accord first then the TLX. I'd venture a guess the 2018 Accord will be announced/out before the end of the year, and the TLX probably sometime in 2018/19. That's the other problem with Acuras, they tend to fall a bit behind sometime in their product cycle, eg. ILX is old, Civic has been totally redesigned for more than a year.
Refreshed TLX was recently announced for 2018. No real significant changes, mostly some exterior styling changes, CarPlay and Android Auto finally added, and a new A-Spec trim, which is mostly cosmetic, and only with the V6. No changes to the powertrain I don't think.

The Accord I believe is going to have a full redesign for 2018 or 2019, as it was just refreshed in 2016.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Refreshed TLX was recently announced for 2018.
That's a mid cycle then which means probably late 2019 before we see the full model change for it.