Type R availability

VincentVega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2012 Honda NC700X | 2002 Honda S2000 | 1992 Honda Civic VX
I know its impossible to say how many Type R's Honda will produce for the US in its first year here, but I've been wondering if they're going to be super limited or if they will have a wider availability. I know they only sold just over 1,000 Integra Type R's over here when it was new so they became pretty hard to come by very quick. Does anyone know if Honda has released production numbers on the current 2015 Type R sold right now?
Sponsored

asiandeity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic SI, 2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know its impossible to say how many Type R's Honda will produce for the US in its first year here, but I've been wondering if they're going to be super limited or if they will have a wider availability. I know they only sold just over 1,000 Integra Type R's over here when it was new so they became pretty hard to come by very quick. Does anyone know if Honda has released production numbers on the current 2015 Type R sold right now?
I remember John Mendel saying in an interview that they hope to sell a couple thousand Type R's a month.

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
A month? That would be pretty impressive. Question is if demand outstrips supply, will they bump up production numbers or keep it capped.

OP
OP

VincentVega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2012 Honda NC700X | 2002 Honda S2000 | 1992 Honda Civic VX
A couple thousand a month seems pretty high but that would be great for availability. I know its no real basis for comparison as it was over 15 years ago, but according to this article by Road and Track, the Integra Type R only had 320 units produced for the US during the first year. Over 4 years of total production, it totaled 3,850 cars here. I'm kind of hoping dealers will have some sort of a waiting list so those that are interested have an actual shot at getting one.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Anyone know how many CTR's have actually sold over the years? I did a quick search but can't seem to find any info on it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Seeing as how Honda is bringing out the CTR relatively early in the life cycle of CivicX, I bet they are planning to make it fairly attainable. Our last Type R seemed to be a way to breathe a little life into the aging Integra lineup.

I bet the car will sell surprisingly well, even after initial demand is quenched.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
Seeing as how Honda is bringing out the CTR relatively early in the life cycle of CivicX, I bet they are planning to make it fairly attainable. Our last Type R seemed to be a way to breathe a little life into the aging Integra lineup.

I bet the car will sell surprisingly well, even after initial demand is quenched.
Agreed. And it would make no sense to finally bring it to the North American market which has been so thirsty for this car all these years but then somehow limit its production. The real challenge is to give it the right amount of performance and price it properly so that after all the pent up demand is fulfilled, it'll still sell well on its own merits. That's gonna determine how well it sells after initial demand is quenched.

OP
OP

VincentVega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RoryR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic Si, 2016 Volvo S60

Understand that the ITR was available in 95' across the pacific. It simply took some back and forth talks to bring it our way. It wasn't necessarily a car that was introduced at the end of the car's life cycle.

I think we can expect numbers to be between 1000-2500 units a year. I believe it would be good to take a look at the numbers seen on the Subaru STi or Golf R if one was looking for the strongest comparison. Not a vehicle initially sold close to 20 years ago.

Numbers from Subaru stated 3,7XX wrx & sti's sold for July 2015. I did not come across any numbers specifically stating STi numbers. However Volkswagon sold 132 Golf Rs during this same time period and 1,711 GTi models.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Understand that the ITR was available in 95' across the pacific. It simply took some back and forth talks to bring it our way. It wasn't necessarily a car that was introduced at the end of the car's life cycle.

I think we can expect numbers to be between 1000-2500 units a year. I believe it would be good to take a look at the numbers seen on the Subaru STi or Golf R if one was looking for the strongest comparison. Not a vehicle initially sold close to 20 years ago.

Numbers from Subaru stated 3,7XX wrx & sti's sold for July 2015. I did not come across any numbers specifically stating STi numbers. However Volkswagon sold 132 Golf Rs during this same time period and 1,711 GTi models.
Subaru doesn't break out separate STi numbers. Interesting to see that WRX/STi sell significantly better than Golf/GTI/R - more than double for the Subarus. I would have guessed that they were pretty close by what I see on the streets.

I think 1000-2000 a year is a reasonable estimate. It'll start off hot though from the pent up demand for the CTR in N. America. We're already seeing some price gouging on 2016 Civic sedans so I cringe at what some dealers will try to get for their rare CTRs. :nono:

RoryR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Civic Si, 2016 Volvo S60
Subaru doesn't break out separate STi numbers. Interesting to see that WRX/STi sell significantly better than Golf/GTI/R - more than double for the Subarus. I would have guessed that they were pretty close by what I see on the streets.

I think 1000-2000 a year is a reasonable estimate. It'll start off hot though from the pent up demand for the CTR in N. America. We're already seeing some price gouging on 2016 Civic sedans so I cringe at what some dealers will try to get for their rare CTRs. :nono:
Rest assured, there will be mark ups on the Si and the Type R upon release. The dealer I'm finishing my stint with right now still does $3,000 mark ups on Si model civics. They were mentioning $5-7,000 mark ups on the Type R when we see them.

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
Rest assured, there will be mark ups on the Si and the Type R upon release. The dealer I'm finishing my stint with right now still does $3,000 mark ups on Si model civics. They were mentioning $5-7,000 mark ups on the Type R when we see them.
If a dealer told me with a straight face that they were marking up the Si by $3k, I'd laugh right in the guy's face and drive to another dealership.

OP
OP

VincentVega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If a dealer told me with a straight face that they were marking up the Si by $3k, I'd laugh right in the guy's face and drive to another dealership.
Absolutely. I never really understood this whole markup thing. I am worried they my try to pull this with the Type R though. Luckily, I do have a lot of Honda dealers around me
Sponsored