Turning off the engine at speed aka: dimming your lights

Control freak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX manual
Has anyone else had the interesting effect where if you turn off your car while traveling at speed, then turning it back on, the engine did not actually stop? Or at the very least, it's running again without you needing to start it?

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I tried the search function and didn't find anything easily. I'm sure there's one specific search term that I'm not getting.

Some background:
So, I thought I'd try something maybe slightly ill advised, but not totally unsafe: Driving on the freeway at night, I can tell the person in front of me doesn't have their lights on. Flicking my lights off doesn't work to tell them anything since the daytime running lights just kick in and the person in front of me is too clueless to be able to tell that my lights have dimmed ever so slightly. Heck, if they can't tell that their own headlights are off, they probably aren't even looking in the mirror either. This is also the case when approaching other traffic on a two way road.

So, I figure I'd turn on my high beams to get their attention, then turn off all my lights by turning off the engine. THAT turns off the daytime running lights, and I just have to remember to have my headlights either turned off, or in the automatic position. If they're in the manual "on" position, they don't turn off even with the ignition off.

I tried that by pressing in the clutch, turning the key to that ACC position (or maybe OFF), waiting a moment, then turning it back to the ... erm ON position, and briefly to START to start the engine. Interestingly enough, I heard the starter motor grind just like when trying to start the engine when it's already running. I couldn't tell what the engine RPM was because the dashboard was still booting up.

Later I tried that on a mostly empty stretch of road at 40mph. Press in clutch, turn engine to ACC, turn it back to ON, this time wait for the dashboard to fully restart, and the RPM is not zero- more like 800 RPM- so i just let the clutch out and continue driving.

So, what's the deal? If I'm turning the key to either OFF or ACC, I expect the engine to just stop, but it doesn't seem to. I admit, it's a bit noisy, so I can't tell if the engine stops and then starts again, but given I have a key ignition, I don't expect the starter to run itself (unlike maybe the cars with start buttons instead of keys).

Is this a safety feature to prevent any engine damage or loss of control if the key or start button gets accidentally hit when driving? Maybe something to prevent a GM ignition switch problem?

I guess I'll have to do more testing, maybe see if I lose power steering or brakes- I didn't notice last time since I was just going staright anyway. But really, I wouldn't have noticed this if I were able to flick off my DRLs at the drivers who forget to turn on their lights. Or maybe I'll just use my highbeams instead.

Has anyone started the whole "how to turn off my DRLs?" thread on this forum yet? :)
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
...I don't even.
How does one's thought process have to work in order to decide that the best way to warn stupid drivers to turn their lights on, is to turn your car off at speed??

When you suddenly turned off the car, were you still in gear? If so, then the wheels were still spinning since you were moving, which was in turn connected to your transmission, which is connected to your engine.

Just honk and flick your lights repeatedly or something. Turning your car off while moving is a stupid thing to do.

OP
OP

Control freak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX manual
...I don't even.
How does one's thought process have to work in order to decide that the best way to warn stupid drivers to turn their lights on, is to turn your car off at speed??
Hey, what could go wrong? ;)

When you suddenly turned off the car, were you still in gear? If so, then the wheels were still spinning since you were moving, which was in turn connected to your transmission, which is connected to your engine.
I think you missed the part about me pressing the clutch.

Just honk and flick your lights repeatedly or something. Turning your car off while moving is a stupid thing to do.
I was trying to flick my lights. I just needed to do the "or something" to achieve that goal :)

Oh well, it seems like it's a nanny car and not actually letting me actually turn off the engine- which is the interesting point I eventually got to in my long winded post.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Maybe your engine was not fully stopped yet when you turned the key back to "on". It probably takes a second or two for it to drop to 0 RPM from highway speed. If you bring the key back to "on" before the engine drops to zero, it will resume running.

Do any of the Civics have an old fashioned manual handbrake? Pulling up the handbrake one or two clicks should be enough to turn off the DRLs without creating any significant drag.

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Turning off the engine at speed aka: dimming your lights 2604c8c350d537bb08322a3ea7a94a0fcf8606b56e39ba1f62301224aa417e84

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good god :doh:, no no, I'm just gonna watch this one, you guys got it. :popcorn:

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Has anyone else had the interesting effect where if you turn off your car while traveling at speed, then turning it back on, the engine did not actually stop? Or at the very least, it's running again without you needing to start it?

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I tried the search function and didn't find anything easily. I'm sure there's one specific search term that I'm not getting.

Some background:
So, I thought I'd try something maybe slightly ill advised, but not totally unsafe: Driving on the freeway at night, I can tell the person in front of me doesn't have their lights on. Flicking my lights off doesn't work to tell them anything since the daytime running lights just kick in and the person in front of me is too clueless to be able to tell that my lights have dimmed ever so slightly. Heck, if they can't tell that their own headlights are off, they probably aren't even looking in the mirror either. This is also the case when approaching other traffic on a two way road.

So, I figure I'd turn on my high beams to get their attention, then turn off all my lights by turning off the engine. THAT turns off the daytime running lights, and I just have to remember to have my headlights either turned off, or in the automatic position. If they're in the manual "on" position, they don't turn off even with the ignition off.

I tried that by pressing in the clutch, turning the key to that ACC position (or maybe OFF), waiting a moment, then turning it back to the ... erm ON position, and briefly to START to start the engine. Interestingly enough, I heard the starter motor grind just like when trying to start the engine when it's already running. I couldn't tell what the engine RPM was because the dashboard was still booting up.

Later I tried that on a mostly empty stretch of road at 40mph. Press in clutch, turn engine to ACC, turn it back to ON, this time wait for the dashboard to fully restart, and the RPM is not zero- more like 800 RPM- so i just let the clutch out and continue driving.

So, what's the deal? If I'm turning the key to either OFF or ACC, I expect the engine to just stop, but it doesn't seem to. I admit, it's a bit noisy, so I can't tell if the engine stops and then starts again, but given I have a key ignition, I don't expect the starter to run itself (unlike maybe the cars with start buttons instead of keys).

Is this a safety feature to prevent any engine damage or loss of control if the key or start button gets accidentally hit when driving? Maybe something to prevent a GM ignition switch problem?

I guess I'll have to do more testing, maybe see if I lose power steering or brakes- I didn't notice last time since I was just going staright anyway. But really, I wouldn't have noticed this if I were able to flick off my DRLs at the drivers who forget to turn on their lights. Or maybe I'll just use my highbeams instead.

Has anyone started the whole "how to turn off my DRLs?" thread on this forum yet? :)
Control freak.... Really? There car was more important than yours?

Oh wait.. There safety issue was MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR LIFE? Dont ever do that again. If you do.. I hope u dont have a wife and/or kids... And if you dont... Dont ever talk to a person of the oposite sex unless they do the same thing... Then you can both die together

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Control freak.... Really? There car was more important than yours?

Oh wait.. There safety issue was MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR LIFE? Dont ever do that again. If you do.. I hope u dont have a wife and/or kids... And if you dont... Dont ever talk to a person of the oposite sex unless they do the same thing... Then you can both die together
Oh please. This is hardly worth being concerned about if a person knows what they are doing. If you want to lecture people about safety, go over to this thread http://www.civicx.com/threads/post-your-top-speed.6555/

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Posted tgere already. Dudbt realize i was goin si fast. So why dont you go ahead and turn off ur car at 60mph... Thanks
Do you know what happens when you do that? I do.. In my mom cooper type s 9 years ago... So what do you know?
Sponsored