Turn on without remote key?

lynx124

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey guys,
I'm a proud new owner of an Aegean blue EXT :) however this is my first car with remote key/proximity key/push button start etc. (BTW that is the one feature I HATE about new cars, but you can't avoid them nowadays. The satisfaction of turning a key urself and bringing an engine to life is amazing.~but that's my opinion)

Anyways, my question is what happens if, say, my remote key stops working? Dead battery, etc. etc. is there a way to use the actual physical key to start the engine somehow? Just until i can get to the nearest dealer and exchange for a new key? Or is there a way to "charge" the key? For example, my brother's BMW warns you when the key fob is low powered and there is a small slot under the steering wheel that you slide the key in and it will charge the key as you drive. He does it about once a year and it takes about an hour to fully charge.

Thanks in advanced, and sorry for the newbie question!
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Read the book.

You don't exchange the fob when the battery dies, you just put in a new battery.

The backup key gets you in the car. Holding the fob up to the start button and the car figures it out.

Honda Civic 10th gen Turn on without remote key? upload_2016-2-29_7-37-21

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
The owner's manual says there's a way to do so that the car will tell you how to do if you are in that situation. However, I have no idea how it would register that you have the key but it isn't transmitting.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have no idea how it would register that you have the key but it isn't transmitting.
By depending on a power-less transponder similar to RFID technology. These have been used in things like security proximity entry cards for many years now. The stock Honda keys, pre smart entry, have used them for many years as well.

Last edited:

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Hey guys,
I'm a proud new owner of an Aegean blue EXT :) however this is my first car with remote key/proximity key/push button start etc. (BTW that is the one feature I HATE about new cars, but you can't avoid them nowadays. The satisfaction of turning a key urself and bringing an engine to life is amazing.~but that's my opinion)

Anyways, my question is what happens if, say, my remote key stops working? Dead battery, etc. etc. is there a way to use the actual physical key to start the engine somehow? Just until i can get to the nearest dealer and exchange for a new key? Or is there a way to "charge" the key? For example, my brother's BMW warns you when the key fob is low powered and there is a small slot under the steering wheel that you slide the key in and it will charge the key as you drive. He does it about once a year and it takes about an hour to fully charge.

Thanks in advanced, and sorry for the newbie question!
I realize it's too late for you now, but the US 2016 Civic LX comes with a real turn-to-start key. Other brands/models do, too.

OP
OP
lynx124

lynx124

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
I realize it's too late for you now, but the US 2016 Civic LX comes with a real turn-to-start key. Other brands/models do, too.
Yea, I know, but I got a killer deal on the EXT and the perks that came with the EXT outweighed the fact that the LX was normal key-started lol ~ Thank you tho!

dohmez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
... I have no idea how it would register that you have the key but it isn't transmitting.
To expand on what dick w said, when you hold your dead fob up to the button, the button has a hidden antenna that can power a special circuit within the fob via inductive coupling. This allows for a quick exchange of secret stuff between the car and the key that leads to the authentication necessary to start the car.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
To expand on what dick w said, when you hold your dead fob up to the button, the button has a hidden antenna that can power a special circuit within the fob via inductive coupling. This allows for a quick exchange of secret stuff between the car and the key that leads to the authentication necessary to start the car.
Are you sure the key isn't just using NFC technology like that found in new debit cards that you can tap to pay or found in smartphones? No power required for that to work if that's the way they're doing it.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure we know what precise technology it uses. NFC seems too new for automotive applications. But it doesn't really matter. It's one of the several power-less transponder technologies. Even passive NFC derives power from the received carrier.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I apparently don't know to read and scroll up. Ignore. :oops:

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Pretty sure it uses RFID, similar to key fobs that you use to open doors at work or anywhere that requires you to swipe your card to gain entrance.

dohmez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Are you sure the key isn't just using NFC technology like that found in new debit cards that you can tap to pay or found in smartphones? No power required for that to work if that's the way they're doing it.
Yea I'm fairly confident, I used to work for a company that spends a lot of time trying to reverse engineer these systems, ha. There's still power transfer in NFC as well, but you're on the right track, the item being scanned doesn't have to have its own power; the device reading it is what excites the circuit and brings it "to life".
Pretty sure it uses RFID, similar to key fobs that you use to open doors at work or anywhere that requires you to swipe your card to gain entrance.
That's right, the transponder systems are very similar.
Sponsored