Turbo reliability?

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Hi there,

Mechanics and other friends of mine keep telling me turbos are unreliable and need to be replaced by 100k km. Is this true or is it more related to performance cars?
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Hi there,

Mechanics and other friends of mine keep telling me turbos are unreliable and need to be replaced by 100k km. Is this true or is it more related to performance cars?
Depends if you do proper maintenance on the car but anything can break pre maturely. I wouldn't worry about it

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi there,

He probably thinking mid 80's Chrysler 2.2 turbos. A big rigs turbo usually last over 1 million kms and they spool up and build boost more often than our Civics do

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Hi there,

Turbos are notoriously unreliable. Consider that they operate off exhaust which is a stressful thing of itself. Then there's all the complicated control components. Essentially all complaints on this forum ( e.g. - surging, delays, funny sounds, etc. ) are with turbo models. I go long with cars, both way over, 200K miles and 12 years, so I was very happy to get the 2016 2L NATURALLY ASPIRATED model. It's very peppy and responsive enough for me.

Last edited:

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Turbo's are not unreliable IMO. They simply add to the complexity of things and add another component that "could" fail, same as everything else on a new car these days. More stuff = more stuff that can fail.

I have a co-worker with a super old Volvo turbo sedan clocking miles that rival older Camrys and never had an issue. It's part luck and part how you take care of it.

That said, I do agree with andromeda that a car without a turbo will probably be more reliable in the long run "due to less complexity" and I don't expect to get 200k trouble free out of this Civic Nor will I keep it that long. But I'd be more concerned about the direct injection causing issues than the turbo.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Turbos are notoriously unreliable. Consider that they operate off exhaust which is a stressful thing of itself. Then there's all the complicated control components. Essentially all complaints on this forum ( e.g. - surging, delays, funny sounds, etc. ) are with turbo models. I go long with cars, both way over, 200K miles and 12 years, so I was very happy to get the 2016 2L NATURALLY ASPIRATED model. It's very peppy and responsive enough for me.
How did I know you'd chime in, SteveGG haha

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
I just wanted to say that I thanked you and one other for your posts (part of my self-driven initiative to not take good for granted) however one thing I had a differing opinion on is the 2.0 NA. I didn't feel it was peppy but it could be I didn't go long enough on the TD.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Turbo's are not unreliable IMO. They simply add to the complexity of things and add another component that "could" fail, same as everything else on a new car these days. More stuff = more stuff that can fail.

I have a co-worker with a super old Volvo turbo sedan clocking miles that rival older Camrys and never had an issue. It's part luck and part how you take care of it.

That said, I do agree with andromeda that a car without a turbo will probably be more reliable in the long run "due to less complexity" and I don't expect to get 200k trouble free out of this Civic Nor will I keep it that long. But I'd be more concerned about the direct injection causing issues than the turbo.
I'd guess it would all depend on the particular turbo / situation. Anyone yet, with serious mileage on this turbo ? I can imagine that the turbo vanes, driven by the blue exhaust flame from the engine, with no means of cooling, must attain VERY high temperatures. I think my lower model 2L N/A has port injection. Have to check.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
A friends 2009 Audi A4 has 190000 km on original turbo and Audi isn't known to be the most reliable.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Hate to burst a lot of people’s bubbles but turbos are very reliable specially nowadays. When it comes down to it, it’s the tune the car has, and how the owner treats it, doing proper maintenance and such.

Mogadee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Mazdaspeed 3, '17 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
Hi there,

Traded my '07 Mazdaspeed 3 with 200k miles on original turbo for my Si. Never had any issues with that turbo and it was known for issues including smoking on idle.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Traded my '07 Mazdaspeed 3 with 200k miles on original turbo for my Si. Never had any issues with that turbo and it was known for issues including smoking on idle.
Any relationship can be precarious hence by the way you managed 200k worth of smoking turbos. Here is what we are dealing with in the CVT Let me put this in that I heard the whine in (L) everyone is sharing and caring about and frankly, it was disconcerting as well as disheartening in terms of how much abuse it can take by ear test. However debunk my cra craziness but I would rather hear a whine on a CVT than a regular AT (like I kind of did in a V6 Accord whose transmission faulted but it wasn't nearly as audible as this). It's up to Civic X and how we are going to handle this CVT knowing his history and possible bright future, only time will tell..

Do NOT MOD this car!! I'm never using (L) now with the whine, NEVER and it would be stupid or atleast unwise to.

Last edited:

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Any relationship can be precarious hence by the way you managed 200k worth of smoking turbos. Here is what we are dealing with in the CVT Let me put this in that I heard the whine in (L) everyone is sharing and caring about and frankly, it was disconcerting as well as disheartening in terms of how much abuse it can take by ear test. However debunk my cra craziness but I would rather hear a whine on a CVT than a regular AT (like I kind of did in a V6 Accord whose transmission faulted but it wasn't nearly as audible as this). It's up to Civic X and how we are going to handle this CVT knowing his history and possible bright future, only time will tell..

Do NOT MOD this car!! I'm never using (L) now with the whine, NEVER and it would be stupid or atleast unwise to.
The most joy I've had from my car is installing KTuner. It totally transforms the car. In fact, did a couple datalogs today in the cool 40 degree air in L mode to compare boost between D, S, and L. Don't hear any whine at all in L and not too concerned if I do. My previous Accord Sport had a slight whine at times which got no worse in the 3 years I drove it. I drive my car fairly gently 80% of the time but 20% like to drive it like I stole it. Life is too short to worry about What if. Should the Cvt break, I will get it fixed be it warranty or used from the wreckers but I am doubtful it will ever come to that.
Don't worry, be happy.

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
The turbo on the car is made by MHI. Their journal bearing turbos have been known to be very reliable...I've run a couple over 200k that still performed.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
The turbo on the car is made by MHI. Their journal bearing turbos have been known to be very reliable...I've run a couple over 200k that still performed.
Hence why Honda probably chose that turbo route. Reliable rate is there and I’m seeing great numbers with the stock turbo. So the fun factor is there as well. If you tune is A1 and you take care of your car then you are all set.
Sponsored