Turbo meter question

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
I realize altitude, temp and humidity affect boost output. After doing several 0-60 runs the meter very rarely hits the top bar on the meter.
Has anyone else noticed this too? I would much prefer a analog boost gauge to this digital meter that doesn't show actual boost pressure.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
A properly selected meter should have a range that exceeds the range of what is being measured. Otherwise, you don't know what values were when the meter was pegged. So hitting the top bar *should* be a rare event.

I'm also not sure what useful information would be provided if you knew the number to whatever precision. I had a 135i twin turbo for five years. No display of boost pressure. Never felt like I was missing anything. I knew when the turbo was at maximum boost. Because I was looking for the flashing lights behind me.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't put too much thought in terms of accuracy of that digital turbo gauge.. It looks like more for show/flashy than actual real function. Does it show PSI?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I wouldn't put too much thought in terms of accuracy of that digital turbo gauge.. It looks like more for show/flashy than actual real function. Does it show PSI?
No numbers. Just flash. But what would you do with numbers? Not like you installed it and are still tuning it or anything.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
No numbers. Just flash. But what would you do with numbers? Not like you installed it and are still tuning it or anything.
Would have been nice to have numbers for when the tune does come out though..

OP
OP
jmr

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Numbers tell you whether you have a intercooler/pipe leak or not. You can't have enough data. lol

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
It is not something you can control anyways unless you play with the ECU and flash. To me it is a cool thing to look at but realistically I can do nothing about.

ferdinand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2019 BMW X2 M35i
Country flag
I agree with having a boost gauge - nice to know if you are making the correct boost - lots of places you can leak boost. I have had a boost gauge in every turbo car I have owned, and once the tunes start rolling out, a boost gauge will almost be a necessity if you want to monitor how your car is handling the tune and what ever bolt ons you have. You use the boost gauge to monitor more than just absolute boost - I used it to monitor when and how the boost comes on and weird behavior like loosing boost at specific rpms to make sure everything was running well.

OP
OP
jmr

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree the more data the better.

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe they'll give an update that gives us the boost gauge from the Si... it at least gives you numbers...

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Maybe they'll give an update that gives us the boost gauge from the Si... it at least gives you numbers...
for now you can use ktuner tunerview on your display if you hack the head unit or use your smartphone via ecu Bluetooth. I prefer the smartphone, much faster processor than ecu's.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
for now you can use ktuner tunerview on your display if you hack the head unit or use your smartphone via ecu Bluetooth. I prefer the smartphone, much faster processor than ecu's.
You replied to a thread more than a year old....