Track Day with my Civic Type R

iforyou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX
Country flag
Warning - Long Post!

TL: DR - The CTR in completely stock form is a beast at the track. It can set very competitive lap times consistently. No overheating issue in cool weather. No brake fade.

CTR in Action (sorry I had another cam in the car but I forgot to turn it on...):

My friend in our EK following my CTR:

So I did 5 full sessions on Monday at Mission Raceway at BC, Canada. Each session was 20-25 min long so it was close to 2 hours of run time. Ambient temperature started at around 6C (43F) and reached 18C (64F) by the middle of the day.

My aim for this track day was to see what a completely stock CTR is capable of at this track. Overall, the car held up well without and warning codes at all. I was able to run faster lap times in the morning in my first 3 sessions with my personal best at 1:18 flat. Could've gone faster in that particular lap but right after the last corner I had to let off the throttle because a STi was in my way. For reference, the owner of the club who organized this track day told me a stock STi can only do 1:20 here. And that owner is far more experienced than me. There was also a Ferrari 458 Italia with RE71R who was doing just under 1:13. A C6 Corvette Z06 modded to 540hp with Nitto NT01 was doing 1:13. In the 2 after sessions, the front tires were giving up a bit and I could only get into low 1:19. Granted, my last session had a passenger.

The front tires obviously deteriorate in the afternoon though as you can tell from the photo below. The front tires simply "roll" over when cornering hard with the sidewall rubbing the asphalt. The club owner said this happened to his CTR too and that adjusting the tire pressure wouldn't help. The rims seem too wide for these tires and perhaps more camber would help. It could also be a tire design issue.
***Jeff, the owner of Temple of VTEC, mentioned that he put 35psi when the tires were cold and that should eliminate the tire issue***

Coming into this track day, my biggest concern was cooling issues. As mentioned, no error code was shown by the car. I guess the relatively cool temperature was a key factor. With that said, the temp gauge did go above the half way point when I was going all out. But it quickly went back to just below half way if I slowed down my pace for half a lap.

The brakes were excellent throughout the day, especially for this track which is known to be brutal to the brakes. I think there may be a tiny bit of brake fade but they were definitely confidence inspiring.

Front Right Tire:
Honda Civic 10th gen Track Day with my Civic Type R 22291219_10102394483358161_8574320367716865408_o

Look at the sidewall of the front left tire:
Honda Civic 10th gen Track Day with my Civic Type R 22459463_1441781852602637_4276285757407923898_o

Honda Civic 10th gen Track Day with my Civic Type R FR Tire (Large)

Honda Civic 10th gen Track Day with my Civic Type R CTR 2

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Awesome. Remove the top front guide pins and you’ll get more front camber.

The 2018 owners manual suggests running 42psi cold under high speed conditions. The 2017 manual doesn’t say that for whatever reason.

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD

The 2018 owners manual suggests running 42psi cold under high speed conditions. The 2017 manual doesn’t say that for whatever reason.
where is the 2018 manual?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
2018 ctr manual is not out yet. its out for 2017

just checked
All hatchbacks use the same manual. There isn’t a Type R specific manual.

If you search for “2.0” in the 2018 hatchback manual; you’ll find references to the Type R.

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
All hatchbacks use the same manual. There isn’t a Type R specific manual.

If you search for “2.0” in the 2018 hatchback manual; you’ll find references to the Type R.
my bad you are right,

i thought for 34k you could at least get a nice manual to come with the car. I mean they did offer a badge number ,
Thats kinda dumb

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag

42psi sounds right based on your sidewalls and my previous experience at the track in my S2000 and Corvettes. I mean if your tire is rolling over that much, 32psi is obviously not enough tire pressure. When running a track day, you need to pay special attention to what your tires are telling you.

THE! CrazyKiwi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like trucks coz I'm a truck guy.
Country flag
my bad you are right,

i thought for 34k you could at least get a nice manual to come with the car. I mean they did offer a badge number ,
Thats kinda dumb
You can get one from Honda, you give them your VIN and they will supply you with a hard copy.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
I can't believe how much tire rollover you experienced. When I get one of these, 19" wheels with 35% aspect ratio sidewalls are probably a must. I still can't believe how tall and narrow the wheels/tires are from the factory.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have Michelin P4s in 265/30-19 on a 19x9.5 rim. Was at Mid Ohio on Friday and at 47psi hot, tires were very greasy. The sweet spot I found for those, on that day was 42 front, 39 rear. Temp was around 75-77, dry track. The car didn't go above the normal driving temperature(halfway)the entire day. Ran 4-30 min sessions and 1 20 min session.
Another Type R was there, and got the rev matching error when he got low on fuel.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I can't believe how much tire rollover you experienced. When I get one of these, 19" wheels with 35% aspect ratio sidewalls are probably a must. I still can't believe how tall and narrow the wheels/tires are from the factory.
Adding negative camber is the only fix. I think -2 is a good compromise for a street and track car. The car has a lot of factory caster, so it gains a lot of negative camber when the wheels are turned.
Sponsored