TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out?

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
I was driving happily along with my one-week-old Touring when I got a notification on the head unit that my tire pressure was low. Weird for week old tires... I pull down the notification bar, and I apparently have six messages from the car telling me 6 system failures!

Pictured below: Tire pressure low, ABS system problem, brake system problem, TPMS system problem, ACC problem, CMBS problem
Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? hlFrDGC

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? s9JR9HC

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? V1nztat

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? CRQaxXd

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? pVcFzrJ

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? BH3Y6uW

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? d8LTaRz

Yet the dash indicators didn't come on as you can see in the last picture. I knew that there wasn't a problem, car didn't seem to drive any differently and the brakes were still very tight. But I drove to the dealer anyways.

I had to make a stop and turned the car off. When I turned it on, I noticed that the lights for what were being warned about on the head unit took a few seconds longer to go away than the rest during the startup sequence. Then on the short trip to the dealer, the notifications disappeared.

I showed them the pictures, they offered to test the systems out but said it would be about an hour (and I thought probably more). I had them check the tire pressure which was good. I already had a service appointment for Tuesday, so since the tire pressure notification was false and there were no driving symptoms it seemed everything was likely alright.

Still going to have them check all the alerted systems on Tuesday. I highly doubt they'll find something though.

The warning notification screen is pretty impressive! The way it shows you the problem with a decent description, and with one tap you can call your dealer or roadside assistance. I wonder if calling roadside assistance will send them your location automatically on models with Navi? If you're moving and you pull up the notification, it won't let you read the text and will speak it to you instead.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I know that those systems will report errors if you disconnect the battery. The OM says they should go away after driving like 30 seconds at speeds over 15 MPH (or something along those lines).

But your issue sounds like a possible HU problem. Luckily it doesn't sound like it affects operation of the car.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
If the low tire pressure warning is activated then all the systems you list may be affected. In effect, your system knows or thinks the tires are different diameters so the systems that rely on even tire speed get dumped.

OP
OP
t3hub3rk1tten

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
Several people have noticed similar problems with various warnings. Just seems to be spurious notifications. Seems to happen more when I go from ACC to ON.

Mllcb42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Mine just did the same after putting the car into ACC mode and playing around for a bit. Had similar issues with my Range Rover when the battery voltage dropped a bit after running the battery down a bit.

milosays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I was driving happily along with my one-week-old Touring when I got a notification on the head unit that my tire pressure was low. Weird for week old tires... I pull down the notification bar, and I apparently have six messages from the car telling me 6 system failures!

Pictured below: Tire pressure low, ABS system problem, brake system problem, TPMS system problem, ACC problem, CMBS problem
Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? hlFrDGC

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? s9JR9HC

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? V1nztat

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? CRQaxXd

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? pVcFzrJ

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? BH3Y6uW

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? d8LTaRz

Yet the dash indicators didn't come on as you can see in the last picture. I knew that there wasn't a problem, car didn't seem to drive any differently and the brakes were still very tight. But I drove to the dealer anyways.

I had to make a stop and turned the car off. When I turned it on, I noticed that the lights for what were being warned about on the head unit took a few seconds longer to go away than the rest during the startup sequence. Then on the short trip to the dealer, the notifications disappeared.

I showed them the pictures, they offered to test the systems out but said it would be about an hour (and I thought probably more). I had them check the tire pressure which was good. I already had a service appointment for Tuesday, so since the tire pressure notification was false and there were no driving symptoms it seemed everything was likely alright.

Still going to have them check all the alerted systems on Tuesday. I highly doubt they'll find something though.

The warning notification screen is pretty impressive! The way it shows you the problem with a decent description, and with one tap you can call your dealer or roadside assistance. I wonder if calling roadside assistance will send them your location automatically on models with Navi? If you're moving and you pull up the notification, it won't let you read the text and will speak it to you instead.

I'm at my Honda dealer now in Honolulu for a '16 Civic Touring i purchased and received on 1/31/15. Ive had the same issues randomly occur, namely the small yellow 'email envelope' icon at the top of the audio display, showing HondaLink issues with 1) Low tire pressure or more recently 2) EVERY safety system having 'problems' e.g. ABS Problem, Brake System Problem, TPMS Problem, ACC Problem, CMBS Problem, Charging System Problem. That last warning happened on 1/27 and all 7 warnings including Tire Pressure Low came up. The dealer has just told me in consultation with Honda Service Tech Support, that this is an issue specifically with Apple iPhones. Apparently, the iOS software has an incompatibility with HondaLink regarding "frequently changing frequencies" (whereas all other phones or systems use a static frequency) that the Honda system cannot quite handle yet. So the system essentially freaks, and gives off random warnings. This happened before a previous service and the dealer told me NOT to use HondaLink and deleted the app off my phone and supposedly disabled it in the car. However, if you use the wifi feature in the vehicle, the HondaLink system can re-enable and start giving off the false warnings again. My dealer told me that this is the last time they will clear the warnings for free, subsequent clearings of the warnings will be charged. (yes, I am having issues with that stance). The dealer told me Honda is aware of this issue, and is happening on multiple vehicles, however a fix is not forthcoming for at least a few months.

A more pressing issue for me, possibly rooted from iPhone use, is that when I attempt to connect my phone to the car, the display will crash, freeze, or both, forcing me to turn off the car and restart or if possible reboot (audio power 'button' for 5 seconds) multiple times. My system has started recently crashing so hard that it resets any customizations, such as main screen icon (Navigation, Audio, Smartphone, Info, Settings) going back to default positions after I had changed them. My rear and lanewatch cameras will also freeze and crash the system if my iphone is attached. Hopefully it's not a widespread apple carplay issue, as Ive already tried multiple handsets and also clean software installs. I've asked the dealer to wipe my software and reload it as well as install the 16-001 TSP audio amplifier fix. Will keep this updated as info comes to me.

Looks like all these issues are specifically related to apple iphone software.

OP
OP
t3hub3rk1tten

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
Looks like all these issues are specifically related to apple iphone software.
The issue in this thread (spurious warnings on head unit) is definitely not related to the iPhone, since I have an Android and have never used CarPlay. This can be triggered for me by putting the car in accessory and then engine on.

Your issues with HondaLink may well be iPhone related though. I use wifi on my car but don't have the HondaLink app installed, and it works well for me. There are other threads in this section of the forums that are focused more on that.

Those issues with losing your settings sounds rather suspicious, like some kind of disk corruption. Maybe ask them for a replacement?

milosays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The issue in this thread (spurious warnings on head unit) is definitely not related to the iPhone, since I have an Android and have never used CarPlay. This can be triggered for me by putting the car in accessory and then engine on.

Your issues with HondaLink may well be iPhone related though. I use wifi on my car but don't have the HondaLink app installed, and it works well for me. There are other threads in this section of the forums that are focused more on that.

Those issues with losing your settings sounds rather suspicious, like some kind of disk corruption. Maybe ask them for a replacement?
I suppose, then, that its not a good thing that both platforms, iOS and android, are having these random issues. That makes the issue more inherent to the car than the phone platform, which definitely shakes confidence.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I suppose, then, that its not a good thing that both platforms, iOS and android, are having these random issues. That makes the issue more inherent to the car than the phone platform, which definitely shakes confidence.
It's not your phone. They just don't have anything better to tell you.
The infotainment systems software is trash. They need to update it's software in a major way but other than the one audio patch they haven't and probably won't for months.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Mine just did the same after putting the car into ACC mode and playing around for a bit. Had similar issues with my Range Rover when the battery voltage dropped a bit after running the battery down a bit.

I can say my car just did this to me. I put it in ACC mode and all of a sudden I got the low tire message. When I opened up the Hondalink app I had all 6 warnings that were mentioned. Also on a side note. It was 12 hours off! It is 3:31 pm when it happened. To confirm clock settings under info and clock adjustment my car had correct time. So I don't know why it states AM not PM.

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? ima

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I can say my car just did this to me. I put it in ACC mode and all of a sudden I got the low tire message. When I opened up the Hondalink app I had all 6 warnings that were mentioned. Also on a side note. It was 12 hours off! It is 3:31 pm when it happened. To confirm clock settings under info and clock adjustment my car had correct time. So I don't know why it states AM not PM.

image.jpeg
Amazing - both your display and the initial one (t3hub3rk1tten) at the top show almost the same time - very likely a software/ground issue.
Still disturbing, hope Honda gets it together and resolves these "infant mortality" (new model, engines, option) issues soon.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Amazing - both your display and the initial one (t3hub3rk1tten) at the top show almost the same time - very likely a software/ground issue.
Still disturbing, hope Honda gets it together and resolves these "infant mortality" (new model, engines, option) issues soon.
thats why I stated that it was 12 hours off. When it happened it was 3:31 pm actual time. But the system states it happened at 3:31 am. By the time I took the picture it was 3:54 pm. Or do you mean the original posters time? Lol. Yeah that is weird. But I wonder if his was off by 12 hours. He didn't have the same screen shot as I did.

Last edited:
OP
OP
t3hub3rk1tten

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
I didn't open the Hondalink app to view the messages, only used the notification drawer, so I did not see their time.

So far in 4.5 months the only times these messages pop up is going from ACC to ON. Really not a big deal, and probably will be fixed eventually.
Sponsored