Torque steer

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag
Ford Focus RS uses the Revo knuckle to combat against torque steer, but they don't have 300HP going to the front wheels.

The GTI ClubSport S has slightly less HP than the CTR, but I believe that uses standard Macpherson struts.

Torque steer not horsepower steer..

J/J
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I was surprised to find my Sport 6MT developed torque steer when I switched from the 18s to 16" winter tires.

The tires are so squishy so I get all kinds of bad behavior that wasn't really evident with the 235/40 Continentals.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I was surprised to find my Sport 6MT developed torque steer when I switched from the 18s to 16" winter tires.

The tires are so squishy so I get all kinds of bad behavior that wasn't really evident with the 235/40 Continentals.
Brand/model can have this effect - are they inflated properly and monitored for the variations we'd had this winter, 50 degree swings are worth 4 - 5 psi?

warrendeath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R 'Hellbat'
The Accord V6 has plenty of issues with torque steer, and I think that produces similar power. The only difference is the tech and suspension set up might allow for that to be minimized. I bet you'll still have a noticeable amount. If I was Honda, I'd just pony on to what the Fiesta ST did. FWD system, but everyone swears it feels like a RWD

SaiHayashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FN2R NHB 2008; NA8 MX-5 turbo 2013; LandRover Discovery 2016; FK8R CW 2017
Country flag
The Accord V6 has plenty of issues with torque steer, and I think that produces similar power. The only difference is the tech and suspension set up might allow for that to be minimized. I bet you'll still have a noticeable amount. If I was Honda, I'd just pony on to what the Fiesta ST did. FWD system, but everyone swears it feels like a RWD
Except they achieved that 10 years ago with FD2R.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
The Accord doesn't even have an LSD though, let alone a trick suspension like the Type R. I had an 04 J30 6-speed and after adding better rubber I never once experienced torque steer or axle hop. I'm sure I would have on a track though. I highly doubt that it will be a problem for me on the Type R.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
LSD helps also. (Whoops, Uber... beat me to it.)

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Read about the current Type R sold over the last few years in Europe ( lots of British vids on Youtube). Honda engineering has already conquered this problem. I am sure the new Type R will be similar if not better.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Also try to launch a Fiesta ST from a light, classic wheel spin in 1st and 2nd...

Doesn't feel at all like RWD to me. But that's not always a bad thing.

Ask me how I know lol.

But yeah it's still a fun well handling car, Ford definetly was ahead of the power curve on the FiST.
Sponsored

Last edited: