Torque steer

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 R32 GTR, 2010 WRX STi, 2002 EP3 SiR
Guys, just how bad is torque steer? Seems like a common complaint with fwd cars in the 300+ hp range. I did some reading on why it happens and some of the solutions, but I can't seem to confirm that it's like, as big of a problem as some people feel it is.

I know there's a few of you guys that have driven/currently drive high powered fwd vehicles, what's your take on it? Is it really a problem? For example, does it interfere with your line when you punch it at the apex? Is 300 ft-lb enough to cause enough torque steer that it's unpleasant on the track? What do the engineers have to say about it? The more technical the better :).

The most power I've had in an fwd was a b18 swapped EK, but it had no power steering and I don't think it made much torque... Didn't notice any torque steer at all... Or I just don't even know what it feels like lol.

Any comments/discussion appreciated!
Sponsored

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Man or up or drive a Prius...

In all seriousness some people complain about torque steer, I have had a few FWD turbo cars and most were tuned.

I honestly can't say I have felt torque steer and even if I did it wasn't nearly as bad or dreaded as people make it out to be.

I'm sure the CTR is no different...

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
The new car has an updated dual axis setup (that's why we are unsure if 18s will clear the brakes still) & torque vectoring from previous model. Torque steer will be very minimal.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree, the updated the chassis from the fk2, to further reduce the torque steer. It will still be there, but with the setup, they say it is manageable.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
You'll break traction long before torque steer becomes a problem. At least on street tires.

OP
OP

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just what I needed to hear. I can't imagine it being a deal breaker, but I guess some people are pickier than others. Thanks guys!

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Ford Focus RS uses the Revo knuckle to combat against torque steer, but they don't have 300HP going to the front wheels.

The GTI ClubSport S has slightly less HP than the CTR, but I believe that uses standard Macpherson struts.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Torque steer + good grip will be enough to pull you to one side or the other. Just don't pull away from lights whilst driving with your knee and you should be fine!

OP
OP

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Torque steer + good grip will be enough to pull you to one side or the other. Just don't pull away from lights whilst driving with your knee and you should be fine!
I'd like to say that's impossible in a standard, but maybe I just can't do it lol.

I read up on the revo knuckle too, seems to make sense how the system works.. I'm sure all this technology basically negates torque steer in newer vehicles.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd like to say that's impossible in a standard, but maybe I just can't do it lol.
No you're not alone. I mean you can gently drift/creep without feeling torque steer, so you can do that hands free. But if you are going for a dragster launch with no hands, yeah you may end up in the next lane.

Reactions: pie

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
No you're not alone. I mean you can gently drift/creep without feeling torque steer, so you can do that hands free. But if you are going for a dragster launch with no hands, yeah you may end up in the next lane.
You don't need torque for that :D can just drive on a Michigan road and the potholes will do that to you... Lol

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
That's the worst, going over a pothole under throttle, especially in this new platform, sounds just as nasty as any car before it. I cringe when it accidentally happens sometimes. :mad:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's the worst, going over a pothole under throttle, especially in this new platform, sounds just as nasty as any car before it. I cringe when it accidentally happens sometimes. :mad:
I know. Such a shock to the driveline. I hate it! I try to avoid WOT on unfamiliar roads, but sometimes it still catches me- like if I have to travel for work.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
With the kind of suspension set up it will have and the LSD I don't think it will have torque steering issues. Just get some good tires and you are good to go.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
It's going to torque steer plenty depending on conditions.

The car has a very unique front suspension setup that displaces the steering from power delivery somewhat.

Type R is equipped with a helical LSD that will help prevent some of the bad fwd feeling.

Torque steer will very depending on road surface, the mode the cars dampers are in, and at what speeds especially since it has variable speed electric rack.

Worse than torque steer is wheel spin and the classic fwd push you get when the car looses grip. In all but perfect conditions the car won't hook in second, forget first. If it's under 45 degrees and especially if it's dark traction will be questionable in third too.
Sponsored