Tire rotation pattern?

Justinr1324

Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback LX 6sp MT
Country flag
Does anyone know the best tire rotation pattern?

I assume the pattern would be the same for my 15 civic as it is for a 16. If you happen to know that it is not, please let me know. Thank you.
Sponsored

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sold on the whole tire rotating thing myself. I've had tires last just as long by never touching them, as I've had with rotating them every so often.

OP
OP
Justinr1324

Justinr1324

Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback LX 6sp MT
Country flag
I'm not sold on the whole tire rotating thing myself. I've had tires last just as long by never touching them, as I've had with rotating them every so often.
I'll do a little more research but I usually go by what my dad says(my go to car guy).

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
If the tires are directional then you swap the RF and RR, LF and LR. If the tires are not directional then you can do a cross rotation ie swap RR and LF, LR and RF. Directional tires will have a mark on sidewall of the tire showing which way they should rotate. I took a look at the Hankook tires my LX came with and did not see a direction marker, so assume these tires can be cross rotated.

I believe the manual says to rotate them every oil change, so I would stick to that. If you do mostly highway driving then you can maybe do it every other oil change, but city driving I would do it every oil change. I used to eat through tires when I delivered pizzas, and I can say that the fronts wore significantly quicker than the rears because of all 90 degree turns.

OP
OP
Justinr1324

Justinr1324

Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback LX 6sp MT
Country flag
If the tires are directional then you swap the RF and RR, LF and LR. If the tires are not directional then you can do a cross rotation ie swap RR and LF, LR and RF. Directional tires will have a mark on sidewall of the tire showing which way they should rotate. I took a look at the Hankook tires my LX came with and did not see a direction marker, so assume these tires can be cross rotated.

I believe the manual says to rotate them every oil change, so I would stick to that. If you do mostly highway driving then you can maybe do it every other oil change, but city driving I would do it every oil change. I used to eat through tires when I delivered pizzas, and I can say that the fronts wore significantly quicker than the rears because of all 90 degree turns.
Since I do 70-80% highway, I'm doing my rotation at 12,000 miles, just a few thousand before my second oil change. Thank you for reply.

BobM_Jr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I had always thought tires just got rotated front <--> back and they did not swap side to side. Boy was I wrong, not that it mattered as I don't do the rotation myself. I would just tell my local shop or dealer to do it and not concern myself with the pattern. For our Civic (front wheel drive) the front tires should go directly to the back and the rear tires should go to the front opposite side, this is the pattern in our owners manual too.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire rotation pattern? 5_Types_of_Tire_Rotation_Patterns

Last edited:

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
In city driving 90%, after how many kms should I rotate the tires? I am at 9000 kms. Should I rotate the tires or wait? Thanks

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
Most modern radials are directional, I would only rotate front to rear.. personally I think changing the direction at which a tire spins is not a good thing.
Today's performance tire and wheel trends have provided the need for two additional tire rotation patterns. The "Front-to-Rear" pattern may be used for vehicles equipped with the same size directional wheels and/or directional tires.
Sponsored