Tire question- thinking ahead

Type Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 R, Honda Gen, Cad. DTS
The memo from Honda re the need for a specific tire changing machine was interesting. Do you guys think most major Honda stores have this equipment? Pirelli has a winter tire, if you want to change out- but they are a wee bit pricy. I just hate the idea of parking the car when it is cold. Mine is #581.
Sponsored

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The memo from Honda re the need for a specific tire changing machine was interesting. Do you guys think most major Honda stores have this equipment? Pirelli has a winter tire, if you want to change out- but they are a wee bit pricy. I just hate the idea of parking the car when it is cold. Mine is #581.
Most dealers won't have this machine.

You're better off buying a set of cheap 18" wheels with winter tires.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
You can get 18" rims and 225/45x18 snows for less then the price of the 245/30x20 snows - and the 225's will out-perform the 245's in snow.

If you just want cold weather, then consider 245/40x18 on 18x9 rims. I went with Enkei rims and Pilot Sport AS 3's, myself. I wouldn't use the AS3's in snow, but where I live the CSC6's (or similar tires) run the risk of tread cracking if used outside of June, July, and August.

Last edited:
Reactions: JYR

SalemTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own: ‘17 PMM CTR, 2013 White Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Only certain dealers have one of two only machines that can take off you're tires. You will need to call around to Honda/Acura dealerships to see who has one. I just made my dealer that I bought my car from find out for me. My nearest machine is 45 min. Away. You will need to change out the continentals to winter/all seasons this fall. I just got a set of all season & rims that I'll change out this fall and store the oem tires/rims until next spring.

OP
OP

Type Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you so much for the info. Everyday is a learning day, as it is all new to me!

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my opinion Honda should have required any dealer that wanted to sell a Type R to purchase the machine. I know they are not cheaper however the money they'll make selling R's will easily cover it. It is pitiful that a dealer is prepared to sell a car that they cannot even properly change a tire on. While the dealer may not have known that until it was "too late", Honda should have arranged all of that ahead of time.

OP
OP

Type Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
would think so to 360. It will be a few months before some Type Rs are needing a new set of sneakers, so we can see how this plays out. I am hoping that one of the Hendrick Honda stores in our area, has one of these machines.

SalemTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own: ‘17 PMM CTR, 2013 White Honda Civic EX
Country flag
My dealer didn't even know about the machine issue untill I told them to find the nearest one to my zip code!:eek:

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
Just brought mine in today after hitting a big unmarked bump. They don't have the machine, but someone within 30 minutes does. So they're taking care of it since they don't have the machine.

All 4 wheels are bent, 2 tires will be replaced.

3400 miles

SpraykwoN

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec and looking for a Civic Type-R
Country flag
Just brought mine in today after hitting a big unmarked bump. They don't have the machine, but someone within 30 minutes does. So they're taking care of it since they don't have the machine.

3400 miles
Are the wheels on the R made of fucking lead?

wmo168

First Name
Mr M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Country flag

3400 miles
Any picture of the damage so we know?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

3400 miles
Any details on the impact? How fast was the car traveling? Speed bump?

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
Any details on the impact? How fast was the car traveling? Speed bump?
I was traveling about 30 mph.

Bump was unfinished road to finished road. Hard to say how big, maybe 3 inches. Very little transition, if any.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire question-  thinking ahead IMG_0134.JPG

On the inside while it was on the lift, there was a small 1-3 inch piece of rubber that had been chunked out from the impact. Not enough to cause issues. It was just the "curb protector" part.

Front wheels had impact points. Back wheels when rotated clearly were wobbling.

SpraykwoN

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec and looking for a Civic Type-R
Country flag
I'm baffled how this car is considered to be a "daily driver" by Honda, yet one bump which isn't even major, causes this much damage lol.
Sponsored