mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
What tire pressures are you guys running?
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
The pressure listed on the door post. So far it feels about right to me. I usually like to put a couple of extra pounds of pressure in my cars, but for this one, I'm following the engineers recommendation.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I asked because I took delivery of a SI yesterday.
I checked this morning, the tire pressures were 38-40 PSI.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I asked because I took delivery of a SI yesterday.
I checked this morning, the tire pressures were 38-40 PSI.
That's because the tires are filled to 40 PSI "shipping pressure" at the factory. Dealers are supposed to check and adjust the tire pressure as part of the pre-delivery inspection, but many of them are lazy and lie on the PDI and deliver your vehicle with overinflated tires.

Deflate them to the pressures listed on the label inside the driver's door jamb and maintain them at that pressure. Don't forget to perform the TPMS recalibration procedure using the touchscreen every time you adjust the tire pressure!

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
This “shipping tire pressure” makes sense. I recall that we are supposed to raise the tire pressure when the vehicle goes to storage.

I will calibrate the TPMS later. Does this car display the exact tire pressures?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This “shipping tire pressure” makes sense. I recall that we are supposed to raise the tire pressure when the vehicle goes to storage.

I will calibrate the TPMS later. Does this car display the exact tire pressures?
No. The Civic doesn't use actual pressure sensors in the wheels. Instead, it has an "indirect" TPMS that compares the rotational speeds of the wheels in order to determine if one or more tires might be low. It can't detect if all four tires are equally low and can be slow to respond, so it's always a good idea to regularly check the pressure using a handheld tire gauge.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
No. The Civic doesn't use actual pressure sensors in the wheels. Instead, it has an "indirect" TPMS that compares the rotational speeds of the wheels in order to determine if one or more tires might be low. It can't detect if all four tires are equally low and can be slow to respond, so it's always a good idea to regularly check the pressure using a handheld tire gauge.
Thanks. Good to know.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I assume I should calibrate the TPMS with cold tire pressure, right?

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
I assume I should calibrate the TPMS with cold tire pressure, right?
It won't make any difference - the tires are going to be a similar temperature and the Honda TPMS seems very 'forgiving' - is a polite way to describe it - inaccurate is another. For example when I received my car there was a large difference in tire pressures - more than 30 psi. One front one was at 52 psi and one rear was as 20 psi. At no time did the TPMS detect an issue, nor did it when I adjusted the tires later.

I suspect the TPMS is capable of detecting two states - 'Flat' and 'Not Flat' and does not reflect anything like the kind of data you are after.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I went to calibrate the TPMS and the option was not there (Setting --> Vehicle)
Guess what. My 2018 SI Coupe does not have TPMS. I then went to Honda.ca and I did not this features for Civic Coupe and sedans!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went to calibrate the TPMS and the option was not there (Setting --> Vehicle)
Guess what. My 2018 SI Coupe does not have TPMS. I then went to Honda.ca and I did not this features for Civic Coupe and sedans!
Ah. I didn't catch that you were in Canada. Canadian Civics don't have a TPMS - only US models.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Ah. I didn't catch that you were in Canada. Canadian Civics don't have a TPMS - only US models.
Strange. I thought I saw that feature. Maybe it was in 2017 and they took it off in 2018?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It won't make any difference - the tires are going to be a similar temperature and the Honda TPMS seems very 'forgiving' - is a polite way to describe it - inaccurate is another. For example when I received my car there was a large difference in tire pressures - more than 30 psi. One front one was at 52 psi and one rear was as 20 psi. At no time did the TPMS detect an issue, nor did it when I adjusted the tires later.
I suspect the TPMS is capable of detecting two states - 'Flat' and 'Not Flat' and does not reflect anything like the kind of data you are after.
Are you sure you have the TPMS option in Australia? All indications are they alert at about a 4 psi change from the calibrated value.

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
Are you sure you have the TPMS option in Australia? All indications are they alert at about a 4 psi change from the calibrated value.
Yes, I have the 2016 model and it is definitely listed amongst the features in the manual and I have the reset option in the settings. Every review also lists the feature as standard for the entire range of the model. If you are saying it is that sensitive then mine must be faulty and I will get it looked at by the dealer.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Can a Canadian Civic owner please confirm if TPMS is available in Civic trims?
Sponsored