The Little 1.5T That Could -- VitTuned Si taking a beating on the dyno

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Yeah, I would expect a "non shitty" one to be better...
I misspoke. I meant the clutch in the car stock handles 250. An upgraded clutch even better obviously. The whole honda shoulda coulda woulda argument is ridiculous because any car can be better than stock.
Sponsored

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And that was a clutch on 100-400 miles. It wasn't even broken in yet. Can't assume that a brand new clutch is going to hold a tune on it without issue. He even said as it got broken in it started to hold it better.

Stock motor overpowers clutch with just a tune. End of story, Honda screwed up.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
And that was a clutch on 100-400 miles. It wasn't even broken in yet. Can't assume that a brand new clutch is going to hold a tune on it without issue. He even said as it got broken in it started to hold it better.
it was barely holding stock power.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, this thread became hostile pretty quickly. Hahahaha. I have a 2017 EX-T 6MT, and Vit is tuning it for me. Even not being finished with the tune, I think it's awesome! I didn't wait for the Si because the only thing that would have made me buy it would have been a 2.0T. I also really like the more sophisticated (read: "old man, Nathan Zachary" :p) styling of the EX-T over the Si, so I think I got the best of both worlds: plenty of power with the styling that I wanted.

Also, as someone who owns a JDM K20a, I have gone both the NA and the FI route. I actually prefer the immediate gratification of my EX-T now (never thought I would say that).

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd expect a STOCK clutch to not slip under STOCK power.
Well I'm sorry if you beat on your car straight off the lot and expect it to perform like it's been properly broken in like the manufacturers recommend. Funny how mine hasn't slipped once and it's stock. I guess I should be beating the shit out of it though.

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
It's all in good fun guys, didn't mean to start this crazy debate. At the end of the day we have an awesome platform to work with, and it never gets old seeing people's faces when you pull them "in a civic?!?!".

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeah but my CVT does pull on Si's and even Mercedes c250s :D but I'm seriously considering a MT hatchback to make better use of my Ktuner V2 can't get over not being able to select my gears.

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yeah but my CVT does pull on Si's and even Mercedes c250s :D but I'm seriously considering a MT hatchback to make better use of my Ktuner V2 can't get over not being able to select my gears.
I'd list quite a few here I've beat, but I'd be lying. :D

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
It should be noted, that the best gains (limited by clutch) from a custom tune seen on a non Si MT (240hp/280ftlbs) was using a high octane blend (aka Vit's special sauce), not pump gas. This ran a 13.7 in the 1/4 mile. A stage 2 CVT ran a 14.1. We will likely find out Friday what a stock Si runs in the 1/4 mile, I'm guessing it won't be as fast as a stage 2 CVT tuned EX-T.

Due to the CVT, HP/TQ is limited, even on a custom tune. So a tuned Si (factory clutch), on pump gas vs. a tuned EX-T on pump gas might be fairly close. The tuned Si would probably have the advantage though, being able to make more torque, and power through the mid range.

Last edited:

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It should be noted, that the best gains (limited by clutch) from a custom tune seen on a non Si MT (240hp/280ftlbs) was using a high octane blend (aka Vit's special sauce), not pump gas. This ran a 13.7 in the 1/4 mile. A stage 2 CVT ran a 14.1. We will likely find out Friday what a stock Si runs in the 1/4 mile, I'm guessing it won't be as fast as a stage 2 CVT tuned EX-T.

Due to the CVT, HP/TQ is limited, even on a custom tune. So a tuned Si (factory clutch), on pump gas vs. a tuned EX-T on pump gas might be fairly close. The tuned Si would probably have the advantage though, being able to make more torque, and power through the mid range.
Amen, great response. With my wheel/tire setup plus the custom tune I can break 14. I have zero wheelspin after the tune and its considerably faster than when I was running stage 2.

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Wonder if an CVT oil cooler would help the CVT hold higher TQ number reliably. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't too high of heat one of the reason the belt would begin slipping?
Sponsored