Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
UPDATED WITH MORE INFO:

That middle exhaust pipe has a function that might surprise you
Honda Civic 10th gen The Civic Type R Exhaust 765e77a06846a18675dc9091b436d457

A detail of the Type R’s design many have picked up on is the unusual exhaust layout. Gone is the quad exit of the FK2, replaced with three centre-mounted pipes, with a smaller one in the middle of the trio. So is it just an aesthetic thing? Were the designers massive Ferrari F40 fanboys? Well no, actually. To explain what it does, let’s hand over to Kakinuma-san:

“The three tail pipes each have a function. At low RPM exhaust gas is streaming out of all three pipes in order to create a very dynamic, ‘roaring’ sound. At mid and high RPM, the middle pipe creates a certain negative pressure, which reduces the booming noise in the cabin. We can amplify the exhaust sound, but by controlling the exhaust flow we can also reduce the noise we want to avoid in certain operational conditions.”

This is jolly good news. The outgoing Type R didn’t have a particularly exciting exhaust note, and on long motorway journeys, the booming of the pipework did get particularly irksome. So if it’s been reduced, it’s another sign - along with the much improved trip computer system found on the standard Civic hatch and the new comfort driving mode - that the new Type R will be much, much easier to live with than the old one.
The exhaust is really intriguing. It appears it is 1 pipe from the turbo back, into 3 chambers. No visible butterfly valves-

Photos from "Civic Type R Owners Club -Official Site" FB group

Honda Civic 10th gen The Civic Type R Exhaust IMG_8248.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen The Civic Type R Exhaust IMG_8249.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen The Civic Type R Exhaust IMG_8250.JPG

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR #2043, 03 S2000, 05 Element, 69 Charger
what is this? just part of a baffle? or possible a flap at the end of the exhaust system and not further down? (mid pipe)
Honda Civic 10th gen The Civic Type R Exhaust Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 10.54.20 AM

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
My guess here...
Someone with SolidWorks and the simulation package needs to duplicate this and prove it out. We don't have it here and I don't have time/skilz to do it up fast enough when I'm at school.

Basically under light load and low flow conditions, the flow of the exhaust will be preferential to exiting the central, quieter path. Imagine if you will the 'muffler manifold' will just have the exhaust 'swirling' around the entrances to the larger paths, creating a slightly higher pressure zone, which 'new' exhaust will just buffer past and push down the quieter, baffled pipe.
In higher flow conditions, the pressure of the incoming exhaust will be so great that the swirls will not be able to maintain their eddy, and the exhaust will push out through any possible orifice. I've seen it modeled but I don't know if I can describe it any better. :/

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My guess here...
Someone with SolidWorks and the simulation package needs to duplicate this and prove it out. We don't have it here and I don't have time/skilz to do it up fast enough when I'm at school.

Basically under light load and low flow conditions, the flow of the exhaust will be preferential to exiting the central, quieter path. Imagine if you will the 'muffler manifold' will just have the exhaust 'swirling' around the entrances to the larger paths, creating a slightly higher pressure zone, which 'new' exhaust will just buffer past and push down the quieter, baffled pipe.
In higher flow conditions, the pressure of the incoming exhaust will be so great that the swirls will not be able to maintain their eddy, and the exhaust will push out through any possible orifice. I've seen it modeled but I don't know if I can describe it any better. :/
thats sounds very interesting, it would be very cool of honda to implement some kind of system like that.
one thing is for sure....this is one weird exhaust system....

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Are we sure the +R button will increase exhaust noise? Maybe we're making this exhaust more advanced than it really is. Perhaps it's just a passive exhaust system and the 3 pipes are there for looks.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen The Civic Type R Exhaust hks350dualexh

I'm picturing it almost like the HKS system with their "resonators". As the exhaust sits at idle the slower moving exhaust flows into the canisters causing them to silence the sound. Yet at WOT it flows out the fastest path which would be straight out. I've owned this exhaust and the two tones were dramatically different!

The CTR exhaust seems like this is the same basic method of slow traveling exhaust versus fast moving exhaust determining which pipes it will flow through. Cheaper than electronics and WAY less to fix when something ends up broken :)

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are we sure the +R button will increase exhaust noise? Maybe we're making this exhaust more advanced than it really is. Perhaps it's just a passive exhaust system and the 3 pipes are there for looks.
deff not..i don't think anyone is sure. were just speculating and maybe we shouldn't expect something so grand and advanced. we might be setting ourselves up for disappointment. like you said it might be just for show. then again, honda seems to say that nothing on this car is for aesthetics, it all has a purpose and is there for a reason..which make us wonder:grouphug:

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I'm picturing it almost like the HKS system with their "resonators". As the exhaust sits at idle the slower moving exhaust flows into the canisters causing them to silence the sound. Yet at WOT it flows out the fastest path which would be straight out. I've owned this exhaust and the two tones were dramatically different!

The CTR exhaust seems like this is the same basic method of slow traveling exhaust versus fast moving exhaust determining which pipes it will flow through. Cheaper than electronics and WAY less to fix when something ends up broken :)
great example

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
deff not..i don't think anyone is sure. were just speculating and maybe we shouldn't expect something so grand and advanced. we might be setting ourselves up for disappointment. like you said it might be just for show. then again, honda seems to say that nothing on this car is for aesthetics, it all has a purpose and is there for a reason..which make us wonder:grouphug:
but really, as described, and the HKS - isn't really that advanced anymore; i agree we might be reading into it a bit more - but the concept is sound, it's been done in the aftermarket and high end for a while, and honda DID mention they wanted better sound than the FK2.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R

Sorry I have to chime in here and say you are comparing a helmholtz resonator system to the Civic Type R exhaust which does not utilize this. The canisters are designed with an engineered volume to reduce unwanted drone at certain frequency's the CTR exhaust system is not designed with the helmholtz resonators.

Can the center exhaust pipe operate like a helmholtz resonator? I am not sure.... But I do think the CTR exhaust will sound excellent regardless.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Sorry I have to chime in here and say you are comparing a helmholtz resonator system to the Civic Type R exhaust which does not utilize this. The canisters are designed with an engineered volume to reduce unwanted drone at certain frequency's the CTR exhaust system is not designed with the helmholtz resonators.

Can the center exhaust pipe operate like a helmholtz resonator? I am not sure.... But I do think the CTR exhaust will sound excellent regardless.
Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. It was comparing the flow of exhaust determining the sound not that Honda added any resonators. I just know from personal experience that exhaust flow depending on piping can drastically change the sound.

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

yup i think he was just using that as an example of how there can be a opening but no exhaust flow through it in principal. theres obviously no extra canisters on the R

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
We all know the 20'' wheels serve no purpose other than show. Honda can say whatever marketing BS they want lol.
Sponsored