Test drove the new Si coupe: my quick impressions

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Integra GS-R (sold). 2000 Integra Type R (sold). 2017 Civic Type R.
Country flag
Just test drove the new Si coupe. Didn't take it over 4500rpms and didn't really hit any open or fun roads, but here's my 10 minute quick first impressions.

1. Holy hell fire the top and bottom piece of the shift knob was unable to be touched for almost the entire test drive. I had to basically use my thumb and pointer wrapped around the leather portion of the knob to shift. Just way too hot. Insanely hot. This is a problem. I'll need a different material knob in the CTR.

2. Engine/exhaust sound was nice. Nothing obnoxious, just a nice clean sound.

3. Car road fine, shifted fine, steering feel was fine but the turbo lag up until 3500rpms is annoying. Not a fan of that.

4. Radio was actually pretty good for a stocker. Honda has never been known for a decent sound system (except that Element SC model, that thing was actually sweet), but this got loud without distorting (on FM, no iPhone plugged in so might sound even better with digital library). Subwoofer did ok, no complaints really.

5. I don't like the tachometer-digital half moon over the speedometer. The red band blends in too much. I'm old school and would much rather have a separate stand alone gauge for the tach. Something I'll have to get use to.

That's about all I took quick notice of. Didn't want to put but a mile on it so that's as in depth as my review goes. It's for sale BTW. MSRP plus mud guards and wheel locks. No ADM.

Honda Civic 10th gen Test drove the new Si coupe: my quick impressions IMG_0820.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Test drove the new Si coupe: my quick impressions IMG_0823.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Test drove the new Si coupe: my quick impressions IMG_0825.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Test drove the new Si coupe: my quick impressions IMG_0827.JPG

Last edited:

CivicNut1109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Civic Si Coupe
Thats the exact same shift knob that is on my 13 Si coupe, and I can double the comment that it burns the crap outta your hand if its been left in the sun.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
Put a beer koozie on top of the knob to keep it cool and out of the sun :)

WxWatch

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Civic Si, '88 Prelude Si (4WS)
Can confirm. Si shift knob burns like heck, even on my '14

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
It was a blazing hot shift knob one day that made me start to shift by holding it below the knob on the stem. And for reasons I still cannot explain whenever I shift by holding the stem it seems to equate to much smoother shifts.

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Holy hell fire the top and bottom piece of the shift knob was unable to be touched for almost the entire test drive. I had to basically use my thumb and pointer wrapped around the leather portion of the knob to shift. Just way too hot. Insanely hot. This is a problem. I'll need a different material knob in the CTR.
Maybe not the best nor legal way around this is getting ALL your windows tinted; yes, even the windshield. I've ran full tint and a metal shift knob in my current car for years, and the metal piece has never gotten 'too hot to handle.' I've also ran a metal knob on my previous car without full tint, and it's the same story as everybody: feels like I'm trying to grip a fireball. Anyway, full tint was one of the best mods I've done to my current car...makes a world of difference, especially in the high-altitude summer sun of Denver.

ericwudi0830

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
My only issue with the civic body is the obnoxiously big fog light bezel, both in the front and the back

Hondasport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R-00144
I test drive an Si coupe yesterday. I thought it had decent acceleration except for a little turbo lag at lower RPMs. The short throws between shifts were my favorite part.

If it weren't for the CTR, I would actually consider a coupe for the first time in my life since I think the coupe looks slightly better than the sedan. My biggest complaint was that the clutch felt super long and there was absolutely no tension. By the end of the test drive I had started to get used to the clutch but it was still hard to tell where it engaged and when it was all the way out. I actually made an "ew" comment on every shift for the first few minutes (which greatly amused my friend/salesman). I may just too used to my 09 Si clutch and hesitant to change but I do hear the CTR clutch is a bit better.

OP
OP
RatedR

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Integra GS-R (sold). 2000 Integra Type R (sold). 2017 Civic Type R.
Country flag
I test drive an Si coupe yesterday. I thought it had decent acceleration except for a little turbo lag at lower RPMs. The short throws between shifts were my favorite part.

If it weren't for the CTR, I would actually consider a coupe for the first time in my life since I think the coupe looks slightly better than the sedan. My biggest complaint was that the clutch felt super long and there was absolutely no tension. By the end of the test drive I had started to get used to the clutch but it was still hard to tell where it engaged and when it was all the way out. I actually made an "ew" comment on every shift for the first few minutes (which greatly amused my friend/salesman). I may just too used to my 09 Si clutch and hesitant to change but I do hear the CTR clutch is a bit better.
To be honest I didn't make much note of the clutch pedal feel. I haven't driven a stick shift since 2006 so it felt weird to me period having to push a clutch pedal in. Haha.
Sponsored