test drove 2 different 2017 ex t and both had very musty smell

kevbozdotnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta, Sontana 2.0t
I test drove two different 2017 Civic ex t cars today. The dealer said he couldn't smell anything but they really smelled musty and possibly moldy on this inside. To the point where you could taste it in the back of your throat. Granted it isn't leather, but it wasn't a pleasant smell. I even took my son with me and he noticed it right away as well. Did anyone else experience this with their new Civic with cloth interior?

One of the cars had nearly 300 miles on it. I asked him about it. He said sometimes they drive the car to different dealers. That seems a little excessive.
Thoughts?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drove two and didn't notice anything like that. Were both of these you found at the same dealer?

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2001 BMW 330i 5spd, 1997 Mazda Miata 5spd
Country flag
I also got this smell on an LX sedan that had just came off the truck. Dealership told me they try and air them out for a couple days. The hatch and ex-t I drove were both fine. Probably just the plastics/adhesives releasing.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I also got this smell on an LX sedan that had just came off the truck. Dealership told me they try and air them out for a couple days. The hatch and ex-t I drove were both fine. Probably just the plastics/adhesives releasing.
Never smelled this.. Drove about 6 dofferent ones over a year.. Its problably something else.. And the car is sealed up tighter than any other honda before.. So even just temperature changes could be addong humidity inside

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
some members were reporting an AC line being clogged and leaking into the floor board, if you buy a civic check the carpets first..

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Maybe some careless employee left a window opened and it rained, or was just very humid, overnight?

Man, 300 miles is almost in the "used" category IMHO. If you're thinking to get that one, I would point that out and ask for a substantial discount.
My TSX had 3 miles when I bought it.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
my ext sedan was still in plastic when I drove it first, had like 2 miles on it. I found it on their site before the salesman knew it was there, only had 5 when I drove it home and those were from my test drive. didn't notice any smell inside like that and its a pretty wet place up here in WA
Sponsored