System not connecting to ALREADY paired phone

DaveRN94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/sensing
Here is what happens: I pair my phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) with my 2016 Honda Civic EX. All is well, and the Android Auto works perfectly as well. Everything works like it should, and then TOTALLY Randomly, when I start up my car like I always do, the system will not connect to my already paired cell phone. Totally Random; there is ZERO pattern to this. The ONLY FIX is to do a Factory Data Reset, and then I re-pair my cell phone to the car and all is well again until the system doesn't connect my already paired phone again. Then I do another Factory Data Reset again! I have had the car for about 6 weeks, and I have done more than a dozen Factory Data Resets. The dealer has no idea. They have checked on software updates and have looked at the problem extensively. Please advise. Does anyone else out there have this happen?
Sponsored

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Yes. The temporary fix is to reboot - Hold down the Audio Power until the reboot dialog appears. Select yes, then wait up to 5 mins for the HU to reboot.

OP
OP
DaveRN94

DaveRN94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has this happened to you bhorn? Is that the same as a Factory Data Reset?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
It has happened with my S5 a small number of times, but because the S5 is not one of the only nine phones that Honda officially supports from Verizon, they've basically told me to fu*k off. Honda corporate (the 800-999-1009 number) actually telephoned my dealer to tell the dealer NOT to deal with this issue for me because I don't have an officially supported phone.

I do like my car, but I really hate Honda.

BTW, if you're on Verizon, the S6 is also not officially supported. They only support the S6 Edge, Note 5 and Note 5 Edge, not the S6 (http://automobiles.honda.com/handsfreelink/). You may just want to lie to Honda about what phone you have. The dealer will likely be too stupid to know the difference there. And it's not about the phone, anyway - it's a car infotainment/head unit issue.

In the meantime, rebooting the head unit (hold the audio power button until you get the notice to reboot - NO NEED for factory reset) should work. Works for me.

OP
OP
DaveRN94

DaveRN94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, thanks so much for that informative post, David!

OP
OP
DaveRN94

DaveRN94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I do the FactoryData Reset, I have to pair my phone back up because it is like day one. So does the REBOOT just reboot the system avoiding the need to pair the phone back up?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
On the occasions my bluetooth would not connect, rebooting the head unit was all I had to do, and my phone would then reconnect (it was already paired, on day one) instantly. I've only paired the initial time, and I've never done a factory reset - but I have had to manually reboot to get bluetooth to connect.

OP
OP
DaveRN94

DaveRN94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, I will definitely try that next time my system doesn't recognize my already paired cell phone!!

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Has this happened to you bhorn? Is that the same as a Factory Data Reset?
Yes it has happened to me. Frequently.

A reboot only shuts down the Android OS and starts it back up. A Factory Data Reset restores all settings and clears all user data and then reboots.

stomper622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I just wanted to chime in and say I had this issue this morning. Android Auto would not start up and I noticed the phone wasn't connected to bluetooth.

Thanks to you guys, I rebooted the head unit and everything is fine now.

FYI, I have a Google Nexus 6P and 2016 Honda Civic EX.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I just wanted to chime in and say I had this issue this morning. Android Auto would not start up and I noticed the phone wasn't connected to bluetooth.

Welcome to the forums! Glad this helped you.

VI001101106

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T

Man...I was about to pull the trigger on a Nexus 6P to get rid of my Note 5 thinking this would take care of this issue.

Usually, I will connect my phone and it will take about a minute to load (saying bluetooth didn't connect and whatnot) and then Android Auto finally shows on the head unit. Mind you this happens almost daily.

When it doesn't connect at all, I reboot my phone. Also, I use Smart Lock to unlock the phone when it's connected via Bluetooth to the car and more often than not, this setting is erased when the car doesn't connect at first.

I thought it was an issue with the phone all along, but if switching to a Nexus will still give me the same results I rather just keep the Note for now.

stomper622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Man...I was about to pull the trigger on a Nexus 6P to get rid of my Note 5 thinking this would take care of this issue.

Usually, I will connect my phone and it will take about a minute to load (saying bluetooth didn't connect and whatnot) and then Android Auto finally shows on the head unit. Mind you this happens almost daily.

When it doesn't connect at all, I reboot my phone. Also, I use Smart Lock to unlock the phone when it's connected via Bluetooth to the car and more often than not, this setting is erased when the car doesn't connect at first.

I thought it was an issue with the phone all along, but if switching to a Nexus will still give me the same results I rather just keep the Note for now.
With my 6P, sometimes AA took a while to load. Here's what I do to eliminate this.

Remove all your recent apps by touching the square button and swiping away all the apps there, then plug it into your car. This frees up a lot of memory and allows AA to load every time and very fast .

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
With my 6P, sometimes AA took a while to load. Here's what I do to eliminate this.

Remove all your recent apps by touching the square button and swiping away all the apps there, then plug it into your car. This frees up a lot of memory and allows AA to load every time and very fast .
I'll try this, but I am skeptical that it's a phone-side RAM issue...

samuray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Cbr600rr, 2016 civic LX, 2019 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
holding the audio down to reboot didn't work for me but the actual factory reset did
Sponsored