Strange sound at startup

Hondadude88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Mine sounds pathetic when you start it. It almost sounds like it is struggling to start. Doesn't seem normal but who knows?
Sponsored

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree that Honda is aware of it but keeping it hush hush until they've completed their testing. Can't keep anything like this a secret. More people will be complaining as their cars accrue more miles and the grinding noise gets worse.
I agree it will be a recall soon "lets hope" mine does it every 10 or so starts but not with the severity I'm hearing in these video's but my rig has only 2100 miles on it, the more people start bitching the sooner we'll get some answers JMHO :dunno:

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I played back the sound clip to my dad and he said it sounds like the starter/flywheel. He's built his share of engines in his lifetime(he's a muscle car guy) and it seemed like he knew immediately what it was. It's ashame these dealerships aren't really coming up with anything definitive. This is not a fun sound to hear coming from a car with <1000 miles on it.
It does kinda sound like a Bendix sticking back in the day in old Chevy V8's

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree it will be a recall soon "lets hope" mine does it every 10 or so starts but not with the severity I'm hearing in these video's but my rig has only 2100 miles on it, the more people start bitching the sooner we'll get some answers JMHO :dunno:
Some of us started hearing this noise with < 1k miles on the odometer. So far there is no progress as more cars are being brought in to try and replicate the noise. My dealer was never able to replicate it and totally just disclaimed my issue as normal. I was pissed. When American Honda called me to inquire about my experience I complained.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know, but it may be just a tad to thin for a super hot summer. I remember when it was 5-20. Just a tad thicker and better protection.
You would hope Honda engineers would take into consideration different climates where there cars are sold, so it might an issue if you were in the middle of the Mohave desert that said the correct oil for 1.5l is Sae 0-20 viscosity but most dealers and Honda use a synthetic blend not a full synthetic to save money however there is a difference, certain lubrication molecules found in full synthetic are not or to the extent in the blended oil
Full syns coating properties prevent metal on metal friction especially during cold starts when 90% of engine wear occurs downside is its $10.00 a quart but that's a small price to pay for $23000. to $28000. investment IMO 10w30 and 40 are a thing of the past new engine designs because of there tolerances must use thinner oils its all about flow :drive:

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some of us started hearing this noise with < 1k miles on the odometer. So far there is no progress as more cars are being brought in to try and replicate the noise. My dealer was never able to replicate it and totally just disclaimed my issue as normal. I was pissed. When American Honda called me to inquire about my experience I complained.
They can run but they can't hide forever:bat:

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag

Bought the car in July 4th (EX-L with sensing/April 10 build). Only 350 miles on odometer, and I will take it to the dealer that I bought the car to fix it, also fix the A/C system blowing not as cold air when idle or moving under 25mph compare to when moving at 40mph+, and also check to see if the FCW camera is working properly.

The grinding noise happened when cold start and sometimes even after parking in hot day. A/C compressor is on. At first I thought it was the difference in A/C compressor pressure difference. My 2012 Civic LX never make that noise ever since I bought it in 2012. I think the sound could relate to the use of remote start.

Second vid is regular in car start. Notice no noise compare to the remote start video. The car was not driven (30 min between each video). Outside temperature is 73F. I will try to see if the noise come up with remote start if park at 90+ degrees area.

Last edited:

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase

Bought the car in July 4th (EX-L with sensing/April 10 build). Only 350 miles on odometer, and I will take it to the dealer that I bought the car to fix it, also fix the A/C system blowing not as cold air when idle or moving under 25mph compare to when moving at 40mph+, and also check to see if the FCW camera is working properly.

The grinding noise happened when cold start and sometimes even after parking in hot day. A/C compressor is on. At first I thought it was the difference in A/C compressor pressure difference. My 2012 Civic LX never make that noise ever since I bought it in 2012. I think the sound could relate to the use of remote start.

Second vid is regular in car start. Notice no noise compare to the remote start video. The car was not driven (30 min between each video). Outside temperature is 73F. I will try to see if the noise come up with remote start if park at 90+ degrees area.
Going to listen when start my car later...It's really hot in Tx. I never noticed the sound but will check it out later. Wonder if it has anything to do with if you hold the start button longer or not..Hmmm

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Going to listen when start my car later...It's really hot in Tx. I never noticed the sound but will check it out later. Wonder if it has anything to do with if you hold the start button longer or not..Hmmm
No it has nothing to do with that @skittles

Car needs to be fully warmed up then shut off for at least 30mins-2hrs for best chance at a start up grind.

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok when I turned on the car this morning I heard no grinding. I turned it off and restarted...nothing..we see later...Off to the barn..gotta take care of my 1,200lb baby!!:love:

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
You would hope Honda engineers would take into consideration different climates where there cars are sold, so it might an issue if you were in the middle of the Mohave desert that said the correct oil for 1.5l is Sae 0-20 viscosity but most dealers and Honda use a synthetic blend not a full synthetic to save money however there is a difference, certain lubrication molecules found in full synthetic are not or to the extent in the blended oil
Full syns coating properties prevent metal on metal friction especially during cold starts when 90% of engine wear occurs downside is its $10.00 a quart but that's a small price to pay for $23000. to $28000. investment IMO 10w30 and 40 are a thing of the past new engine designs because of there tolerances must use thinner oils its all about flow :drive:
So, new Honda cars, it has a blended synthetic?...MMmmm then it sill has sulfur and base2 carbon... if this is true, I am running to change it this weekend. Bad stuff for such a high temp running engine.

I do know that the 1.5 Earth Dreams is a VERY HOT RUNNING engine, designed that way. A low compression turbo has to burn of the carbon somehow. I open the hood the other day after a full 1 hours drive, and wham, reminded me of opening my home oven at Thanksgiving with a turkey cooking at 350 for hours.

ARE SOME YOU YOU WITH THE 1.5 BUYING TURBO OIL FOR YOUR FIRST CHANGE.

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ex-L
Country flag
As northern said your noise in cold start does not sound like the noise we are talking about. And ours is only on hot engines.
On another note I have a few questions:
are all 1.5 engines doing the noise? Or is it only a fraction of them? Has anyone been able to get rid of the noise, say for instance by changing the oil type?

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, new Honda cars, it has a blended synthetic?...MMmmm then it sill has sulfur and base2 carbon... if this is true, I am running to change it this weekend. Bad stuff for such a high temp running engine.

I do know that the 1.5 Earth Dreams is a VERY HOT RUNNING engine, designed that way. A low compression turbo has to burn of the carbon somehow. I open the hood the other day after a full 1 hours drive, and wham, reminded me of opening my home oven at Thanksgiving with a turkey cooking at 350 for hours.

ARE SOME YOU YOU WITH THE 1.5 BUYING TURBO OIL FOR YOUR FIRST CHANGE.
My point exactly :bump:

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is just peeps with the turbo sedan or is it happening with turbo coupe owners also?