First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just took delivery on an EX today. Haven't heard any noises but will monitor closely over the next several weeks and see if it does pop up. So far the car has been amazing.
Sponsored

joserevelo

J Revelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
This is what the service advisor told me.

"The tech looked on the Honda end and saw that there was a newer version of HondaLink than what you had, so he updated it."

Now, for the startup issue. They hadn't been able to get it to do it yet again. So I came down here to the dealer to give it a go.

It turns out they were just testing it on a cold start. So I just got done driving my car simulating the conditions it does it for me. Driving 6 or so miles, turning the car off for 30 minutes, starting the car and driving it again. So I'm waiting for that time to pass to go out and start it again. Additionally, they have an EX-T outside idling beside mine to see if it'll do the same thing...
mine does it soo loud now, and it's more and more consistent. about 5k miles
The EX-T made the noise whereas mine didn't.

The tech and service advisor both decided that it was the turbo sucking in air fast, and some nonsense about the difference in air temperatures.

It's funny that the Fusion 2.0 EcoBoost I traded didn't do that.
My grandma's Buick Encore doesn't do that.
And my mom's Chevy Cruze doesn't do that.

So I asked why it didn't do it every time. They both told me it was because the pressure didn't have time to change. ???

I'm pretty heated and I feel kinda patronized. Am I wrong to think that sounds like a load of BS they've fed me to get me to shut up and go away?

It was the service advisor Joe, and the tech Aaron at Ike Honda in Marion who told me all this.

So anyway, I called Cape Girardeau Honda, which is a little more than an hour from me, and they said it sounds like a load of crap; they implied that Ike is known for that. So I'll be paying them a visit in the very near future.
you know i'm starting to think it might have something to do with the turbo... i've been experimenting and when i let the car cool down before turning it off then it doesn't do that grinding noise on start up... i'm not saying let it cool down hours because obviously just having it on will warm it but if you let the turbo cool a bit after a drive then it might not make this noise.. or maybe i'm all wrong, but then again honda did rush this car so who knows.. maybe the turbo messes with the starter somehow.. someway..

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just took delivery on an EX today. Haven't heard any noises but will monitor closely over the next several weeks and see if it does pop up. So far the car has been amazing.
Do you have the 1.5L Turbo engine? Just curious. Thanks.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys, update on mine. I'm at 5,421 miles and I'm still hearing random grinding sounds from the engine bay. I'm convinced this is a 1.5L Turbo issue and may be related to the turbo.

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys, update on mine. I'm at 5,421 miles and I'm still hearing random grinding sounds from the engine bay. I'm convinced this is a 1.5L Turbo issue and may be related to the turbo.
I agree that this issue is exclsive only to the turbo 1.5L engine on this 10th gen.

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is what the service advisor told me.

"The tech looked on the Honda end and saw that there was a newer version of HondaLink than what you had, so he updated it."

Now, for the startup issue. They hadn't been able to get it to do it yet again. So I came down here to the dealer to give it a go.

It turns out they were just testing it on a cold start. So I just got done driving my car simulating the conditions during which it acts up for me, which is driving 6 or so miles, turning the car off for 30 minutes, then starting the car up again. So I'm waiting for that time to pass to go out and start it again. Additionally, they have an EX-T outside idling beside mine to see if it'll do the same thing...
Did the update solve the skipping audio bluetooth music streaming?

wreasterly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic T
Country flag
First time posting here, I have a 2016 civic touring that makes this sound every time I start it up as well. You guys aren't crazy. May take mine in soon or at least get a report filed for the issue.

cabecker01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III with ATP
Vehicle Showcase
Did the update solve the skipping audio bluetooth music streaming?
Sorry for the delayed response. Nope, no change with the Bluetooth skipping. I rebooted the head unit about 30 minutes while it was skipping badly and that seems to have done the trick so far, but I have three more hours left on this trip so we'll see how long it lasts.

cabecker01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at a loss. Do I take it back to the dealer again? Do I go to another dealer? Or do I just let whatever it is fail?

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm at a loss. Do I take it back to the dealer again? Do I go to another dealer? Or do I just let whatever it is fail?
I know I've heard people say to call Honda customer service. I'm not sure if that will actually do anything.

cabecker01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know I've heard people say to call Honda customer service. I'm not sure if that will actually do anything.
I might light 'em up one more time tomorrow, because I think I'm gonna get my first oil change and get the latest software update.

joserevelo

J Revelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Can anybody else confirm that after your first oil change there is no more start up grinding noise? I got my first oil change and I have not heard my car grind at all.. can anybody else confirm? I'm sure the break in oil has something to do with this as it burns off tiny crap from the inside when it reaches hot temps.. but then again this is just my theory.. hopefully my car remains noise free. goodluck

miss_dlo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Can anybody else confirm that after your first oil change there is no more start up grinding noise? I got my first oil change and I have not heard my car grind at all.. can anybody else confirm? I'm sure the break in oil has something to do with this as it burns off tiny crap from the inside when it reaches hot temps.. but then again this is just my theory.. hopefully my car remains noise free. goodluck
Yay for no more awful grinding noise! Hopefully it stays that way. Did you get the oil change done at the dealership? I'm thinking the oil does have something to do with it

joserevelo

J Revelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
damn it... I'm sorry to say but th grinding noise is still going on with my vehicle:( today in the morning I went to the local walmart.. car warmed up by then and when I left the store it made the grinding noise. very loud too :( EVERYBODY please make sure your dealer is reporting this and lets all call the honda phone and report it.. we need this fixed.. obviously i can't blame honda completely because this years engine design is new and they could have never heard this during testing because i starting hearing it at about 1000+ miles... anyway yeah the grinding noise is still here after oil change :(
Sponsored