Stop Sale/Safety Recall: 2016 Civic VSA Software Update (electric parking brake issue)

HondaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Yesterday, October 6, 2016, American Honda notified NHTSA of a Stop Sale and Safety Recall for certain model year 2016 Civic vehicles due to VSA software issues that may cause problems with the electric parking brake. Any new or used units in dealer stock must be repaired per service bulletin, 16-090, Safety Recall: Electric Parking Brake & VSA DTC U3000-49 Software Update. Refer to your eResponsibility report or VIN inquiry to determine which units in your inventory are affected. American Honda expects to begin customer notification in early November 2016.

Note: Some vehicles affected by this recall may be in your new or used vehicle inventory. Failure to inspect and, if needed repair, a vehicle subject to a recall or campaign may subject your dealership to claims or lawsuits from the customer or anyone else harmed as a result of such failure. In addition, state law may provide American Honda with the right to seek indemnification in any such claim or lawsuit.

Problem

If the electric parking brake is operated shortly after turning the ignition off, if the VSA system is storing data, it may cause DTC U3000-49, potentially causing the BRAKE indicator to blink for 15 seconds and/or the electric parking brake to fail to set.

Software Information

Updated software to support this recall is available to all dealers as of October 7, 2016.

Campaign Information

Service bulletin 16-090 has been posted to the Service Information System as of October 7, 2016 and includes warranty, software, and update information related to the recall and product update campaigns.

Warranty and Update Information

Warranty and update information is detailed in service bulletin 16-090.

As always, be sure to check VIN status inquiry to determine eligibility for this or any other campaign.
Sponsored

Attachments

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe, 2016 HRV
Vehicle Showcase
My car has been doing this off and on since I bought it. I talked to the dealer about this exact issue about a month after purchase and they didn't really know what to make of it so assumed it was OK. I'm glad it sounds like I can get a fix for it now.

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Yesterday, October 6, 2016, American Honda notified NHTSA of a Stop Sale and Safety Recall for certain model year 2016 Civic vehicles due to VSA software issues that may cause problems with the electric parking brake. Any new or used units in dealer stock must be repaired per service bulletin, 16-090, Safety Recall: Electric Parking Brake & VSA DTC U3000-49 Software Update. Refer to your eResponsibility report or VIN inquiry to determine which units in your inventory are affected. American Honda expects to begin customer notification in early November 2016.

Note: Some vehicles affected by this recall may be in your new or used vehicle inventory. Failure to inspect and, if needed repair, a vehicle subject to a recall or campaign may subject your dealership to claims or lawsuits from the customer or anyone else harmed as a result of such failure. In addition, state law may provide American Honda with the right to seek indemnification in any such claim or lawsuit.

Problem

If the electric parking brake is operated shortly after turning the ignition off, if the VSA system is storing data, it may cause DTC U3000-49, potentially causing the BRAKE indicator to blink for 15 seconds and/or the electric parking brake to fail to set.

Software Information

Updated software to support this recall is available to all dealers as of October 7, 2016.

Campaign Information

Service bulletin 16-090 has been posted to the Service Information System as of October 7, 2016 and includes warranty, software, and update information related to the recall and product update campaigns.

As always, be sure to check VIN status inquiry to determine eligibility for this or any other campaign.
I wonder if this is applicable to Canadian cars as well. Would be nice to be able to enter my vin# and check on their website. I haven't seen any messages in my Honda Link app.

lyricalyjy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX-T
Vehicle Showcase

Problem

Software Information

Campaign Information

thank you for the info!!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know. I'm probably never gonna buy a first model year again
I enjoy 90% of my car, but the other 10% is borderline WTF worthy.

We'll see what happens in the long-term...but yeah, not a huge fan of paying a first-year adopter tax.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
I'm pretty sure mine is affected but it shows nothing on the Honda owners web site (VIN check for recalls). Any idea on how else to get this update?

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I was going to go in for TSB's but now I will wait till November since my early Civic definitely has this parking brake issue.

I have no regrets buying first year 10th gen. This is much more of a vehicle than any previous Civic. can't expect it to be 100% perfect

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I was going to go in for TSB's but now I will wait till November since my early Civic definitely has this parking brake issue.

I have no regrets buying first year 10th gen. This is much more of a vehicle than any previous Civic. can't expect it to be 100% perfect
The tsb said the dealers should have the fix as of October 7th, so I'd still go in.

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
I just did my yesterday because I brought my car for some other problem with the fit and align of A-pillar panel driver side, but the dealer cannot replicate my problem. But they did the TSB for me.

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Hah I was just at my dealer on Friday and he said there were no updates.

And my car had been in the shop for 40 days, in part to look at these issues. So clueless.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If there is no urgency, best to wait until you get the letter in the mail. Dealer should know by then hopefully!
Sponsored