Stock Civic X Tuning Results -- 87 oct and high octane

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
If Hondata doesn't fix the issue with the CVT ECU protecting itself by interferring with boost and throttle plate, will a down downpipe help? Or does Hondata need override this limitation before the downpipe produces gains?
PRL dyno'd a cvt (stock, fp/dp, and fp/dp with base map tune) and it is getting great lower end gains (+40) and small peak gains (+10). My understanding (Vit correct me) is that the CVT protection is mainly stepping in at initial WOT around ~3500 RPM but there are still gains to be made throughout the rest of the range.
Sponsored

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
PRL dyno'd a cvt (stock, fp/dp, and fp/dp with base map tune) and it is getting great lower end gains (+40) and small peak gains (+10). My understanding (Vit correct me) is that the CVT protection is mainly stepping in at initial WOT around ~3500 RPM but there are still gains to be made throughout the rest of the range.
Thanks. I realize the DP will make more with the base map since the base map doesn't max out the torque of the cvt. What I'm wondering is if you custom tune FP to the point where the CVT ecu is already interfering, will the addition of a DP make more power above that? My feeling is no because the ECU is already cutting boost.

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
Thanks. I realize the DP will make more with the base map since the base map doesn't max out the torque of the cvt. What I'm wondering is if you custom tune FP to the point where the CVT ecu is already interfering, will the addition of a DP make more power above that? My feeling is no because the ECU is already cutting boost.
CVT protection doesn't interfere throughout the entire rpm range. The DP can and will give gains where the CVT isn't interfering. The dyno results say that it will be worth it.

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
It may, but you have to remember that tunes are designed for a specific octane rating. You'd be better off having Vit making a custom tune for 93.
I thought the ECU still adjusts timing even with Flashpro?
Lots of people say with CVT, do base map FP and call it the day. I'm just wondering in that scenario, does it still make sense to buy 93 over 91.

Last edited:

Ryude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Lots of people say with CVT, do base map FP and call it the day. I'm just wondering in that scenario, does it still make sense to buy 93 over 91.
The ECU will always make adjustments regardless of the tune, but the tune tells the ECU what to target. So regardless of octane, a tune designed for 91 will always target certain loads, torque, etc. Even if a higher octane rating would actually allow you to target a higher torque or ignition timing.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I know things always change, and this may have as well but last I read, Vit tested the catless on his 6mt car and it made no more power than w/o because the turbo is so small, no part of the exhaust system has been exposed as the bottleneck. once we have a clutch that can hold more power, maybe a turbo upgrade, then maybe the exhaust will be a bottleneck and will benefit from being swapped out.

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
I'm so used to having to add bolt ons to make more power,it just seems like the thing to do,but with the 1.5 Turbo it's simply a matter of tuning a stock engine and reaping great power.Every new performance mod that comes out really isn't needed to achieve that power goal.I really have VitViper to thank for that as it saves me a bunch of dough.I guess Cosmetic mods are on the horizon for my CivicX 1.5-T Sedan.

Last edited:

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
At 1.5L the engine merely sips at gas. After combustion, it seems to be quite happy breathing through a 2 inch pipe, so its not a huge bottleneck.
The downpipe doesn't make the power as claimed, just like the Ingen CAI doesn't make the claimed 25hp.
In the end I'm also glad I'm not spending so much money on bolt ons. It's nice to have a decently fast car that's not loud.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Just ask @Hondata himself rather than all these guesses floating around in this thread. Doug has told me that there can be benefits running higher than 91 on the 91 tune.

andyboyd102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Just ask @Hondata himself rather than all these guesses floating around in this thread. Doug has told me that there can be benefits running higher than 91 on the 91 tune.
I'm running 93 non-ethenol in my Civic and I talked to Doug about 2 weeks ago and there is definitely a little gain using higher octane and a non-ethenol blend.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running 93 non-ethenol in my Civic and I talked to Doug about 2 weeks ago and there is definitely a little gain using higher octane and a non-ethenol blend.
Exactly, talk to the guy who made the product. He knows. Sucks in Canada, we have 94 but last year they started putting ethanol in it so I have to see what Doug will suggest for that.

andyboyd102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
At 1.5L the engine merely sips at gas. After combustion, it seems to be quite happy breathing through a 2 inch pipe, so its not a huge bottleneck.
The downpipe doesn't make the power as claimed, just like the Ingen CAI doesn't make the claimed 25hp.
In the end I'm also glad I'm not spending so much money on bolt ons. It's nice to have a decently fast car that's not loud.
Agree 100% I've put my car on the dyno and only gained 5 to 8 HP using the Injen SRI......

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
They aren't super responsive for these type of inquiries I find. All my last inquires have been unanswered. If you have a problem, they are quick to respond, which is good.
Sponsored